P500 Finally ...

G

GPS

Apr 10, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. 520
... heard from the dealer today so going to pick up a 520 tomorrow. Ordered in March and had hoped to get it sometime in August. Primary use is hunting, more specifically to work property's food plots. It will serve as my tractor so I'm confident a 520 should fit the role really well based on nearly 10 years use with a similarly sized sxs. The other sxs was totally no-frills so in addition to the 520's better power it is also nicer than the original sxs.

I've purposely held off looking into add-ons or upgrades to minimize anxiousness. But now that it's here i would really appreciate your recommendations on tires, particularly, in regard to my situation and preferences.

I'm going with a 520 because of its width, so I can haul rather than tow. Never had a trailer and don't want one. My Tundra's bed is 50 inches between wheel wells so must stick with standard tires' width, and no spacers. But I do want to add some ground clearance and therefore go up to probably 26 inch tires.

So my question is, since my 520's most important use will be to plow (and the like), and since it cannot exceed the standard 50 inch width, what make and model (aggressively treaded) and size (taller) tires would you recommend? My sole interest is function, looks irrelevant.

All suggestions (and experiences) welcomed. Thanks - Greg

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi,

Congrats on your new workhorse!

The general consensus is that to go up, you have to go down... wait, I got that wrong. Bad advice on my part. To go up, you might want to go wider for stability sake. I see you mentioned 26" tires. There are a ton of good options. I personally like the Maxxis BigHorn tires. I chose the 3.0 version for mine. Everybody likes the 2.0 version and they are going to do a good job in most situations, including your pushing of snow.

Rob

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
1st. -- Welcome from Central N.Y
RED IS THE FIRST COLOR ALL OTHER COLORS FOLLOWED & HONDA hopes they sell.

26's or 27's work fine on Stock wheels ( just drive & get the feel before Hammering the speed )
Kendra Bear Claw HTR'S are hard to beat "All Around Tire"
Hunting & Plowing : Windshield & Roof helps with comfort (although a rear panel to keep out exhaust fumes is almost REQUIRED )

KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Congrats! I agree tires are the first needed upgrade. I have the Big Horn 2.0 27’s on my P5, while they measure 26 I still I really like them. 2nd on your list needs to be a Torq Locker for the front diff to give you a true 4wd.

Also be sure to take a lot pics at pick up as before references because you will wanna see the difference after you begin your mods! Good luck and remember the group Motto here is “Pictures or it didn’t happen.”

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I do have 27” Bighorns on mine, but they measure 27.5 in 3.0 version. 2.0 might measure different.
Rob

Last edited:
G

GPS

Apr 10, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. 520
No special or interesting photos here, but since I understand they're mandatory on this site (it did actually happen) I've included a few. Strictly stock so far (door removal only change), since I just picked it up late last week and headed to the woods Saturday. Reluctantly forfeited some high-priority college football viewing (a big sacrifice for me!) since it was supposed to rain Sunday and I was already about 4 weeks overdue for food plot planting. Got a little done, a good bit more to do but weather isn't cooperating now, as usual.

Yesterday I researched and located a ramp I feel really good about so it's on the way. During next couple days I'll be ordering a glove box and roof, at a minimum, and likely an under-hood storage box and windshield soon. (Eventually the frame mounted 2" hitch receiver and a winch.) But most importantly and urgently I need to get some tires. Want to go ONLY TALLER, preferably 26s, not wider because I have to be able to load into my Tundra for hauling and wheelwell-to-wheelwell is 50 inches. I've found a modest selection in rear size 26x10-12 but nearly none in front size 26x8-12. So I may go 27s rather than only up to 25s.

Again, I'd really appreciate advice from all willing to offer on make-model of 25, 26, and 27 inch tires (8-12 and 10-12) particularly suitable for the 520, of course, and off-road/tractor-type use. I'll be in the 520 regularly but much more for basic transportation and work purposes than playing.

Thanks, I look forward to getting to know some of you guys, at least somewhat. Greg

IMG 1050
IMG 1054
IMG 1058

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No special or interesting photos here, but since I understand they're mandatory on this site (it did actually happen) I've included a few. Strictly stock so far (door removal only change), since I just picked it up late last week and headed to the woods Saturday. Reluctantly forfeited some high-priority college football viewing (a big sacrifice for me!) since it was supposed to rain Sunday and I was already about 4 weeks overdue for food plot planting. Got a little done, a good bit more to do but weather isn't cooperating now, as usual.

Yesterday I researched and located a ramp I feel really good about so it's on the way. During next couple days I'll be ordering a glove box and roof, at a minimum, and likely an under-hood storage box and windshield soon. (Eventually the frame mounted 2" hitch receiver and a winch.) But most importantly and urgently I need to get some tires. Want to go ONLY TALLER, preferably 26s, not wider because I have to be able to load into my Tundra for hauling and wheelwell-to-wheelwell is 50 inches. I've found a modest selection in rear size 26x10-12 but nearly none in front size 26x8-12. So I may go 27s rather than only up to 25s.

Again, I'd really appreciate advice from all willing to offer on make-model of 25, 26, and 27 inch tires (8-12 and 10-12) particularly suitable for the 520, of course, and off-road/tractor-type use. I'll be in the 520 regularly but much more for basic transportation and work purposes than playing.

Thanks, I look forward to getting to know some of you guys, at least somewhat. Greg

View attachment 298584View attachment 298585View attachment 298586
The playing part will change!

LilRedDonkey

LilRedDonkey

Feb 25, 2021
cheesyland
Ownership

1. 500
go to chap moto for browsing what tires and brands come in what sizes. buy wherever you want. 25x8 & 25x10 come in about everything. 26's are in a few, mostly off brands they carry, but they work just fine. i run these in 24x10 on all 4 cause thats what i want. they come in 26x10 & 26x8 also. good luck, their out there, gotta look more to find them.
748 P373 0020
"ocelot p373." same brand, these also, p3055 front 26x8, p3056 rear 26x10.
748 P3055 0000

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

View attachment 298584View attachment 298585View attachment 298586
Bighorn type tread pattern also a good choice.
5EBAFBB8 1A5C 4E6F 8906 1E5EE9E3B5A8

G

GPS

Apr 10, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks very much, guys. I most definitely have been shopping ("researching") earnestly the past few days. My Visa account is clear evidence of it. As I previously discovered and LilRed mentioned, I've found that 26x8-12s are nearly non-existent. The dealer from which I purchased the 520 strongly recommended ITPs and said they sell many. Online reviews are overwhelmingly positive. So I added it to my list with the highly regarded usual suspects (e.g. Maxxis, Kenda) and like the Mud Lite lines, particularly the XTR in 25s because in actuality ("Mounted Diameter" and "Mounted Width" per website) it's supposed to be 26.1"/f and 26.2"/r diameter and 7.6"/f and 10.1"/r width. Aggressive tread. Contacted ITP and impressed with responsiveness (same day) from a guy providing his name, title and contact info and offered these comments -

"The Mud Lite XTR is a Radial tire but has a smoother ride than the Mayhem and Cryptid tires.
The Mud Lite XL and Mud Lite II are Bias tires but the Mud Lite II has a more robust carcass build for today’s heavier machines.
I have many miles on all of them.
Personally I prefer the Mud Lite XTR for overall use."

Hope to be deciding and buying next few days ... after some time at the Gulf coast.

Suggestions still welcomed and appreciated

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!