P1000 First oil change - what a pain in the rear

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hate to add another topic with many already in this category for first oil change but I want to vent, I will feel much better.

First I watched many Youtube videos and studied from others work, and their tips. I had everything ready and started in. I am mechanically experienced and felt like this should be no different than others I have done. Wrongo Bongo.

So...
- Taking off the plastic cover over the fill cap, one of the plastic push pins, center part broke. Great.
- Drain the oil pan, oil goes all over the skid plate, wonderful. I'm a clean freak and this was the messiest oil change for my garage floor.
- This luckily happened again when I drain the oil tank, I'm about half way through a roll of paper towels at this point. Neat.
- Remove the DCT filter cover, let's add some more oil to the skid plate and garage floor.
- Remove the oil filter cover - that barely wants to come off, and there she blows. I see a repeat oil waterfall here as well.
- Learn how to put each cover on, insert a long dowel with my left hand holding pressure so I can start the screws with my right hand because only one arm fits in there thanks to the rear passenger step and the tire. This looked easier for others in the videos I watched.
- Fill her up with oil and let it run, shut it off and try to get an accurate reading off that dipstick which has a very small Low-Full area. Ended up using just shy of 6.5 quarts so it's probably overfilled.
- Put the plastic cover back over the fill hole with a broken pin that I will try to remember to get another one
- Continue to use the second half of a roll of paper towels to clean up the BP gulf oil spill on my skid plate and garage floor, which continues dripping wipe after wipe.

What I learned and can help others with, if a hoist is available to you, use it. I did not have a big issue draining, but if it were in the air, I may use a beer box cut out to deflect the oil down and not out onto the skid. And trying to put the filters and covers back on while sitting on the floor reaching in with my right arm, holding a dowel against the cover to keep it there, would be easier if it were on a hoist. Where two hands can get to them and you can see that the spring and filter are lined up with the covers.

And just like that, I feel better.

Last edited:
Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
I hate to add another topic with may already in this category for first oil change but I want to vent, I will feel much better.

First I watched many Youtube videos and studied from others work, and their tips. I had everything ready and started in. I am mechanically experienced and felt like this should be no different than others I have done. Wrongo Bongo.

So...
- Taking off the plastic cover over the fill cap, one of the plastic push pins, center part broke. Great.
- Drain the oil pan, oil goes all over the skid plate, wonderful. I'm a clean freak and this was the messiest oil change for my garage floor.
- This luckily happened again when I drain the oil tank, I'm about half way through a roll of paper towels at this point. Neat.
- Remove the sub trans filter cover, let's add some more oil to the skid plate an garage floor.
- Remove the oil filter cover - that barely wants to come off, and there she blows. I see a repeat oil waterfall here as well.
- Learn how to put each cover on, insert a long dowel with my left hand holding pressure so I can start the screws with my right hand because only one arm fits in there thanks to the rear passenger step and the tire. This looked easier for others in the videos I watched.
- Fill her up with oil and let it run, shut it off and try to get an accurate reading off that dipstick which has a very small Low-Full area. Ended up using just shy of 6.5 quarts so it's probably overfilled.
- Put the plastic cover back over the fill hole with a broken pin that I will try to remember to get another one
- Continue to use the second half of a roll of paper towels to clean up the BP gulf oil spill on my skid plate and garage floor, which continues dripping wipe after wipe.

What I learned and can help others with, if a hoist is available to you, use it. I did not have a big issue draining, but if it were in the air, I may use a beer box cut out to deflect the oil down and not out onto the skid. And trying to put the filters and covers back on while sitting on the floor reaching in with my right arm, holding a dowel against the cover to keep it there, would be easier if it were on a hoist. Where two hands can get to them and you can see that the spring and filter are lined up with the covers.

Thanks for the list of issues! Definitely add that to my list when I get around to this project!

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Thanks for the list of issues! Definitely add that to my list when I get around to this project!
I also just did my first oil change. Changed both filters, and it topped off full on the dipstick with just 6 quarts. Manual says it's supposed to take just over 6 quarts. I checked oil level without screwing down the dipstick. Did I miss something?

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I also just did my first oil change. Changed both filters, and it topped off full on the dipstick with just 6 quarts. Manual says it's supposed to take just over 6 quarts. I checked oil level without screwing down the dipstick. Did I miss something?

Reactions: Biteme and Lady01
turf_dog831

turf_dog831

Mar 19, 2021
California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hate to add another topic with may already in this category for first oil change but I want to vent, I will feel much better.

So...
- Remove the sub trans filter cover, let's add some more oil to the skid plate an garage floor.

Thanks for the tips, about to do my first oil change on our 2021 1000-5. Just curios, what oil and oil filter brand did you go with? OEM?

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

So...

Yes it is a little messy. Last time I did mine I took out a few of the skid plate bolts so to oil would run where I wanted it. when I finally get a full skid plate, I'm planning on enlarging some of the drain holes to make it a little cleaner.

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the tips, about to do my first oil change on our 2021 1000-5. Just curios, what oil and oil filter brand did you go with? OEM?
Yes sir, I went with a kit on Amazon which had one gallon and 3 quarts of Honda oil, both filters and crush washers. I completely believe in Amsoil but won't change just yet, I may eventually after some more break in.

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I corrected one issue with my oil change and bought the replacement plastic push pin to hold down the oil fill cover. I went to a dealership and thought I'd get a bag of 10 to have some on hand for the next time they break. The parts counter fella said they were expensive, and I waited for him to give the punchline, but he was serious. Those little things cost $5.83 each!:eek: I bought 2 to make the time worth while so I do have one spare. But from now on, it's Amazon baby. My buddy bought a bag of 100 for $5 and only needed one. If they are the same size I have plenty from him, if they are not the same size I will by a bag which is. Just to let my friends here know.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

So...

I always drop the skid on mine, it helps keep the splashing from happening. When you fill the oil, only pour in the amount stated in the book, then start it and let run for five minutes, then shut off and let sit for five minutes before checking the oil level.

R

roughrd00

Nov 27, 2018
az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had reviewed the oil change process from other owners and you tube too. I am very well versed in doing these chores.
But my 2018 had two recalls so decided to talk to the service dept. My cost was $130 and I felt good as the filters and oil would have been $60 or more so I felt it was worth it to let the dealer do it and get the recalls done too. No messy garage floor and
back at riding......

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I definately learned from this experience to not do it the same next time. I spoke with my friend with the hoist and told him, next time I'm bringing it over. It will be a cleaner process down the road as I can't deal with this oil on my floor every time. Thanks for the advice as well!

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I definately learned from this experience to not do it the same next time. I spoke with my friend with the hoist and told him, next time I'm bringing it over. It will be a cleaner process down the road as I can't deal with this oil on my floor every time. Thanks for the advice as well!
Plus, any spills will be on his floor, not yours! 🤣🤣

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well today I completed my 1,200 mile oil change. And my plan as earlier stated was to use my friend's hoist. However due to many of the members which suggested taking off the skid plate, I thought I would try that once to see if I could get through this a little cleaner this time.

I used a 10mm socket to break the screws loose and then used my Dewalt with another 10mm socket on that to zip them out. That did not take long and from there on it was a better experience. I drained all 5 holes, front and rear diffs thrown in there as I wanted to make it worth the extra effort.

Still, I got so darn ticked when taking the oil filter cover off and that thing just pops loose and falls, oil still went all over the frame and the area below it. That was the biggest headache, but the rest of the project was MUCH better with the skids taken off.

Thanks for the recommendation and I won't do this again without taking them off.

FYI, I chose to run Royal Purple 75-140 in the diffs, Mobil 1 10w-30 in the sub trans, and kept the Honda GN4 10w-40 in the engine. I am an Amsoil worshiper but want to be sure that is going to be the right lube for this engine and tranny.

Cheers!🍺

IMG 9025

Last edited:
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well today I completed my 1,200 mile oil change. And my plan as earlier stated was to use my friend's hoist. However due to many of the members which suggested taking off the skid plate, I thought I would try that once to see if I could get through this a little cleaner this time.

I used a 10mm socket to break the screws loose and then used my Dewalt with another 10mm socket on that to zip them out. That did not take long and from there on it was a better experience. I drained all 5 holes, front and rear diffs thrown in there as I wanted to make it worth the extra effort.

Still, I got so darn ticked when taking the oil filter cover off and that thing just pops loose and falls, oil still went all over the frame and the area below it. That was the biggest headache, but the rest of the project was MUCH better with the skids taken off.

Thanks for the recommendation and I won't do this again without taking them off.

FYI, I chose to run Royal Purple 75-140 in the diffs, Mobil 1 10w-30 in the sub trans, and kept the Honda GN4 10w-40 in the engine. I am an Amsoil worshiper but want to be sure that is going to be the right lube for this engine and tranny.

Cheers!🍺
I’m enjoying your write ups on the oil and filter changes. It’s surprising how much oil remains in those two filter cavities. I’m going to try leaving at least one bolt on each cover partially screwed in and see if that helps with the covers popping off.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I hate repeatedly removing steel screws from aluminum threads like our filter covers - seems like a really bad idea to me. So does repeatedly removing the skid since it's screwed into the super thin frame rails. I don't have an answer for the frame threads other than welding in thread nuts as you strip out those in the frame. But I replaced the bolts on my dual sport motorcycle's oil filter cover with studs (same as the Pioneer 1000 and Talon). Doing this might cause the problem of not being able to rotate the covers slightly so the o-ring will slip into the case (not a problem on the mtc) - your choice. I intend to put a lite chamfer on the edge of the filter openings (if there's a sharp edge) so the o-ring will slip in easier).

Link for more pics and details (let me know if the link doesn't work and I'll add the pics, iffn you care).

Bolts before -

Studs after -

L

Lloydtheredneck

Sep 14, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i dont make much of a mess with the skid plates on, its all about experience! i did my diffs, sub trans, and eng/dct oil/filters this spring. laid down a empty coors box did my thing wiped up what did drizzle on the plates hit the areas with carb clean. threw down a fresh coors box cut into pieces where the oil may drip from over night, came back next day hardly any on the boxes. then go ride in some water to finish the job! i also dropped my phone in the pan doing the rear diff, so the gear oil treatment to the speakers and charge port was a nice touch, then hit it with carb clean. sounded kinda weird for a few weeks but hey still works!

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
i dont make much of a mess with the skid plates on, its all about experience! i did my diffs, sub trans, and eng/dct oil/filters this spring. laid down a empty coors box did my thing wiped up what did drizzle on the plates hit the areas with carb clean. threw down a fresh coors box cut into pieces where the oil may drip from over night, came back next day hardly any on the boxes. then go ride in some water to finish the job! i also dropped my phone in the pan doing the rear diff, so the gear oil treatment to the speakers and charge port was a nice touch, then hit it with carb clean. sounded kinda weird for a few weeks but hey still works!
Tenor 2

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!