P1000 First Post-Forgive Me if Dumb Question

J

Jade

Nov 10, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello and thanks in advance for any assistance.

We recently bought our first SxS and love our P1k5! We have two boys, one is under 16 and we live in Florida. I have been going over all the laws for riding and noticed a gray area-I am hoping someone might have the answer.

The law states any rider under 16 of an “ROV” must wear a helmet. An ROV is any SxS 60” wide or less. Our Honda is 62” wide. Anyone know how the law applies here? I have searched here and on google with no answer so I was hoping some of the knowledgeable members here might be able to educate a newbie. We have no problem helmeting up on trails but we live rural on property and wanted to operate legally even around the neighborhood.

Thanks again
Matt

Never been to Florida, but here in Utah...a helmet is only required if there is not roll bars, and no seat belts. As long as there is the roll bars and seat belts, no helmet required, but ATV's require helmets all the way up to 18 before.

I guess they treat side by sides like cars, so it makes sense...I've taken relatives around with no helmets who were pretty young and had LEO's just wave at me. The same LEO's that will stop people on ATV's if their kids aren't wearing helmets.

Reactions: Biteme and rtn001
rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Hello and thanks in advance for any assistance.

We recently bought our first SxS and love our P1k5! We have two boys, one is under 16 and we live in Florida. I have been going over all the laws for riding and noticed a gray area-I am hoping someone might have the answer.

The law states any rider under 16 of an “ROV” must wear a helmet. An ROV is any SxS 60” wide or less. Our Honda is 62” wide. Anyone know how the law applies here? I have searched here and on google with no answer so I was hoping some of the knowledgeable members here might be able to educate a newbie. We have no problem helmeting up on trails but we live rural on property and wanted to operate legally even around the neighborhood.

Thanks again
Matt
Let me start with this. I am a retired Florida LEO having been so for 19 years and laws change. In the "olden years" when operating a ROV on private property state laws and rules do not apply. If they did you would be required to have a windshield, rearview mirrors, windshield wipers, turn signals, meet certain braking requirements and the list goes on and on and on and on. This is not to say that there aren't areas that laws and rules can and are enforced, such as privately owned parking lots with public access, malls, shopping centers ect... There are always a few ass holes out there who think they are God because they wear a badge and a gun. If you have the misfortune to come upon one of these wonderful people l would yes sir the hell out of him/ her and tell them you were not aware of the law/rule and it will not occur again. As soon as they are gone I would call their station and request to speak with a shift supervisor asking him/her to explain the rules and if he would be so kind to have a copy of same you could pick up the next work day when you came in to speak with the Chief. I bet you don't have to go see the Chief. Private roadways are ok. Government maintained roadways are a no no. That reads Federal, State, County and municipal. Roadway in Florida is defined as that land lying from the easement edge across all property to the prepared service to the opposite easement. No you cannot legally operate a ROV on the shoulder or in the ditch. They are part of the roadway. Welcome from Central Florida.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biteme
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Is up to you brains do not heal they reroute and they cannot be transplanted .Everything you do in life it's a gamble. Its Up to adults to make decisions for our children. Don't know about the legal part

Reactions: Biteme and Mudwing

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’m not a lawyer but if the Florida law states less than 60” then it’s not really a gray area, You are wider than that. Not sure if it’s the same way there but here in Georgia our work around is Slow Moving Vehicle laws. We attach a SMV sign on the back of the machine, throw a little cattle feed or some fence supplies in the back and you’re good to go to/from for agriculture purposes.
Surprising about the SMV sign. In Louisiana, it is illegal to attach an SMV sign to any vehicle that is capable of exceeding (I think) 15 mph. It is also illegal to use them for any purpose other than on an actual slow moving vehicle. I.E. illegal to use as driveway markers etc.

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
. No you cannot legally operate a ROV on the shoulder or in the ditch. They are part of the roadway.

Exactly. When I got stopped we were riding up near Hog Valley. I asked the officer well what about beside every road up there, in the ditch is a well used atv trail. He said to ride on them is as illegal as it is to ride on the road. I guess take your chances.

R

River

Apr 18, 2020
Stillwater New York
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry I would not be much help , do to that I live in Stillwater New York . I don’t have any knowledge of Florida laws on side by side riding . I hope you have luck I finding the info you need .

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Man I wouldn't mind knowing the loophole you jumped through..lol I only live 5 miles from work and always think about how cool it would be to take the Honda

You can go through South Dakota and get it tagged.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can go through South Dakota and get it tagged.

That’s what I did in 2016. No issues so far. Net year I plan on attempting to reregister in in Florida. I believe they have to since it was previously registered, inspected and IS street legal will all of the requirements. We will find out. If they don’t play ball, I;ll just leave it registered in SD. It’s only $49 a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: nitzo
R

redhooker

Apr 12, 2020
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let me start with this. I am a retired Florida LEO having been so for 19 years and laws change. In the "olden years" when operating a ROV on private property state laws and rules do not apply. If they did you would be required to have a windshield, rearview mirrors, windshield wipers, turn signals, meet certain braking requirements and the list goes on and on and on and on. This is not to say that there aren't areas that laws and rules can and are enforced, such as privately owned parking lots with public access, malls, shopping centers ect... There are always a few ass holes out there who think they are God because they wear a badge and a gun. If you have the misfortune to come upon one of these wonderful people l would yes sir the hell out of him/ her and tell them you were not aware of the law/rule and it will not occur again. As soon as they are gone I would call their station and request to speak with a shift supervisor asking him/her to explain the rules and if he would be so kind to have a copy of same you could pick up the next work day when you came in to speak with the Chief. I bet you don't have to go see the Chief. Private roadways are ok. Government maintained roadways are a no no. That reads Federal, State, County and municipal. Roadway in Florida is defined as that land lying from the easement edge across all property to the prepared service to the opposite easement. No you cannot legally operate a ROV on the shoulder or in the ditch. They are part of the roadway. Welcome from Central Florida.

thanks for the reply! Yes we are aware about the shoulder laws but we live pretty rural and UTVs are the norm on the shoulders of all the county roads here. Florida law does allow UTV use by licensed drivers on unpaved roads posted 35mph or under UNLESS local laws dictate otherwise. You can also legally cross paved roads but even for that must be by a licensed driver

As far as the helmet laws-we will be operating on Florida/National Forest property which the helmet laws apply. That is where my inquiry originated. Cheers!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!