P1000 First Post-Forgive Me if Dumb Question

R

redhooker

Apr 12, 2020
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello and thanks in advance for any assistance.

We recently bought our first SxS and love our P1k5! We have two boys, one is under 16 and we live in Florida. I have been going over all the laws for riding and noticed a gray area-I am hoping someone might have the answer.

The law states any rider under 16 of an “ROV” must wear a helmet. An ROV is any SxS 60” wide or less. Our Honda is 62” wide. Anyone know how the law applies here? I have searched here and on google with no answer so I was hoping some of the knowledgeable members here might be able to educate a newbie. We have no problem helmeting up on trails but we live rural on property and wanted to operate legally even around the neighborhood.

Thanks again
Matt

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

We recently bought our first SxS and love our P1k5! We have two boys, one is under 16 and we live in Florida. I have been going over all the laws for riding and noticed a gray area-I am hoping someone might have the answer.

The law states any rider under 16 of an “ROV” must wear a helmet. An ROV is any SxS 60” wide or less. Our Honda is 62” wide. Anyone know how the law applies here? I have searched here and on google with no answer so I was hoping some of the knowledgeable members here might be able to educate a newbie. We have no problem helmeting up on trails but we live rural on property and wanted to operate legally even around the neighborhood.

Thanks again
Matt

Welcome to the club from Tennessee;) I have know clue about the laws:)

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Thanks again
Matt
Check with @knuckledeep

J

JTW

Thanks again
Matt
You’re over thinking it. Do your kids wear a helmet in the car? If they’re belted in, within a cage and not acting a fool. You’ll be fine. You’ll have more issue if you’re out riding on the roads without proper equipment.

I’ve lived in Florida none of my life and have NEVER had an issue!!!

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ain't never heard 'o no red hooker. Must be a injun proselytizer ! Welcome to the forum where every question be not stupid. Only the answers!

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks again
Matt
I have no idea. Welcome from the Midwest. @Bastardchild might know the answer.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Welcome from South FL!
I ride a little bit around the neighborhood with my 5 & 6 yr old and I've been spoted by FWC a cpl times and luckily haven't had an issue. They wear helmets on the trails but if its just a little stroll I just make sure they r buckled in. I'm sure I'm breaking a few other laws at any given point though.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
It is not legal to operate a side by side (OHV) on any public road here in Florida with exceptions (see link). I was able to worm through an administrative loophole and get a tag for mine. I have a Florida motorcycle plate and can legally operate it anywhere in Florida. Don't know how long it will last, but I'll be on the street until they pull my plate.

ATV Exceptions

More Information

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is not legal to operate a side by side (OHV) on any public road here in Florida with exceptions (see link).

ATV Exceptions

More Information

I read your link about exceptions and I have a hard time understanding that lawyer talk. But, I can point you in the direction of a US Forestry man carring a gun and badge that will tell you its illegal (to the tune of $185.)to ride on numbered roads in his forrest.

Last edited:
advertisement
R

redhooker

Apr 12, 2020
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the replies!
This is definitely a gray area. There is no question that on an ATV or SxS under 60 inches wide he would need a helmet. But with these Pioneers it seems like it falls outside that designation and is more like a Jeep set up for OHV use only.
I spoke to LEO about road use and he says it’s different from county to county but where we live it is ok on unpaved roads either posted under 35 or unposted (which unposted translates to 35 in Florida).

As to the screen name redhooker I spent a fair bit of time chasing redfish on the tournament trail as well as 7 years chartering.

R

redhooker

Apr 12, 2020
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And just wanted to also thank the members here as I lurked this place for over 3 years waiting to buy this Pioneer. We have been slowly putting together our travel setup during that time. We have a 43 foot toyhauler and the Honda is the SxS we bought it to haul. We intend on traveling around the country with our boys and enjoy our time together.

The info gleaned from your forum members has been invaluable! Thank you all again.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Welcome! Im from Orange Heights, Fl. Not sure on the laws for kids wearing helmets. Im not sure I would want to argue with the forrestry guy telling him your machine is 62" wide so your kid doesnt have to wear a helmet. They tend to be a$$holes on a good day. It does seem like a gray area though, like you say. Im sorry I couldnt give you a clear answer. If you find something out let us all know.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I read your link about exceptions and I have a hard time understanding that lawyer talk. But, I can point you in the direction of a US Forestry man carring a gun and badge that will tell you its illegal (to the tune of $185.)to ride on numbered roads in his forrest.

It won’t hold up in court. I have a street legal side by side with Florida plates. Plus, I don’t need “his” forest anyway. I have about 250,000 acres of private property to ride within 10 minutes of my house, and I ride the pavement to get there.

B

Bigseff23

Feb 9, 2020
Lakeland Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
It is not legal to operate a side by side (OHV) on any public road here in Florida with exceptions (see link). I was able to worm through an administrative loophole and get a tag for mine. I have a Florida motorcycle plate and can legally operate it anywhere in Florida. Don't know how long it will last, but I'll be on the street until they pull my plate.

ATV Exceptions

More Information
Man I wouldn't mind knowing the loophole you jumped through..lol I only live 5 miles from work and always think about how cool it would be to take the Honda

Reactions: Biteme
T

TroyBlaine

Apr 20, 2019
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
I’m not a lawyer but if the Florida law states less than 60” then it’s not really a gray area, You are wider than that. Not sure if it’s the same way there but here in Georgia our work around is Slow Moving Vehicle laws. We attach a SMV sign on the back of the machine, throw a little cattle feed or some fence supplies in the back and you’re good to go to/from for agriculture purposes.

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@redhooker fl law is anyone 16 and under on state land such as the forest needs to have on a helmet they will stop you in the forest as for private land they wont bother you private mud parks are per the park rules

Reactions: Biteme and rtn001
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!