Talon First real outing on the Talon R

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have not heard of Macks Pines, Let me know how it goes. We will hook up at some point for a ride.
Mack's pines is near Dover, ar. About a 5 hour drive for me.

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Small world! I see the drag slick on your avatar. I work for Capco Contractors. We have a couple of top fuel cars.
That is cool. Do you see the Torrence's much or are y'all bigger than that? My cousin owns the Kubota tractor dealership there.

MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
That is cool. Do you see the Torrence's much or are y'all bigger than that? My cousin owns the Kubota tractor dealership there.
I see them every day. We are a big operation but there is only 7 of us that run the place including Steve and Billy. Your cousins must be the Bagleys? I have bought a bunch of equipment from Wanda though the years.

Reactions: Mopower58
Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I see them every day. We are a big operation but there is only 7 of us that run the place including Steve and Billy. Your cousins must be the Bagleys? I have bought a bunch of equipment from Wanda though the years.
Yes Bill is my first cousin and Wanda is my Aunt. It really is a small world. They have the big 3 covered as far as construction. Kubota,Honda and Stihl.

Last edited:
traildaleAZ

traildaleAZ

Sep 21, 2017
AZ
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
"I am going to take some preload out of the rears to see if they will smooth up."

Actually changing preload will not soften or firm up the ride because preload does not change the spring rate. Preload just changes the ride height.
Now for something that is totally counterintuitive - Adding preload "can" soften the ride by moving the average position of the shock. When the ride height is low, the shock is near the end of its stroke, and the shock compression valving gets very stiff at the end of the stroke to prevent bottoming. It feels like you are constantly riding over square edged 2x4's. When you increase the preload you raise the ride height and now the shock is riding in more in the middle of its stroke, where the valving is softer and the ride is much softer.
This has been discussed over and over on the Maverick X3 forum. They come from the factory riding low and VERY stiff. Standard procedure is to add 2.5 inches of ride height and the ride softens a bunch.
And the previous comment on the crossover rings is spot on.
Check YouTube for adjusting Fox Shocks

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
On my R I moved the tender crossover rings up 1/2" and removed the sway bar. Made a big improvement in the washboard and low speed riding. Looks like I still have another 1/4" of adjustment left before tender spring coil bind.

MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
On my R I moved the tender crossover rings up 1/2" and removed the sway bar. Made a big improvement in the washboard and low speed riding. Looks like I still have another 1/4" of adjustment left before tender spring coil bind.
I moved my crossover rings up to 1/2 inch as well. I have not had a chance to put it back on the same trails to see if it is better. Do you have a lot of body roll without the sway bar?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Body roll is not too bad. Looks like I can move the rear tender crossover rings up another 1/4 inch and still not have coil bind. I dropped the tire pressure down to 12.5 from 16 psi for tomorrow 100 mile ride. The front tender rings will be next. Its can be stiff going into Park so I shift back to reverse then it goes right into park. I will be doing a 1,000 mile report next month. Honda really did a great job on the Talon. My buddy has a 2018 RZR 1000 with 5,500 miles on it. We will compare them next year both over 10,000 miles. So far he has a bit over $600 in repairs. I'm hoping my Talon will be as good as my 2016 Pioneer 1000 with over 18,600 miles and $30.00 in repairs so far.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!