P1000 First service at dealer?

G

GGreen

May 18, 2018
Amherst, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That's excessive. I'm sure you negotiated the deal, so go ahead and negotiate the price of the first service.

S

Sergeant2057

Mar 7, 2016
New Mexico
Are you guys insane? You can inspect all of that stuff yourself, no need to spend crazy money!! Oil change is nothing and certainly doesn't cost $100 for it if you do it yourself. Do you take it in to the dealer when your tires are low on air? Oh wait, do you know how to check that yourself?? I am really disappointed in my fellow Pioneer owners that they are either too lazy or too stupid to do it themselves!!

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The critical thing at the first service is checking the valves and adjusting if necessary.

My first was about $330, but only because the valves had to be adjusted. That added an hour or so of labor iirc. Service guy had advised me ahead of time on the valve thing maybe required maybe not.

Long term consequences of running with misadjusted valves are bad - burned seats.

R

rickoshea

Are you guys insane? You can inspect all of that stuff yourself, no need to spend crazy money!! Oil change is nothing and certainly doesn't cost $100 for it if you do it yourself. Do you take it in to the dealer when your tires are low on air? Oh wait, do you know how to check that yourself?? I am really disappointed in my fellow Pioneer owners that they are either too lazy or too stupid to do it themselves!!
are you for real??? troll.

M

MarkS

Ouch, that is way beyond my experience. We were quoted $150 when we bought our P500 last May and then given a $50 discount for having bought the machine from the dealer, Lowville Sport & Farm Equipment, near me in upstate New York. Net was $108.77, basically just the sales tax more than the $100 fee.

SXS500017 SXS500014

Reactions: TripleB
R

rd7fox

Aug 22, 2014
Mine did the whole checkup and only charged me for what was needed. No charge for what was not needed. It was less than $150. As I remember, I asked for the oil and filter to be changed regardless.

My opinion after reading all this is the first check should be on Honda. Get it right the first time and don't charge me for what ought to be a courtesy checkup anyway. $500? Find another dealer.

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Checking valve clearance is not that hard. Adjusting is certainly more involved but not rocket science. At a minimum take the time to check your clearances at 100 miles, write them down, and press on if they are within spec. Check again at 500 miles. 100 miles isn’t very far. An online shop manual is $26 bucks. Doing general maintenance isn’t very hard and is rewarding. I have 4 quads and soon to have a P1K5. I couldn’t afford to have the dealer do it all.

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will do my own oil on 100 mile first service and take it in for valve adjustment. Shop rate quoted at $150 hr labor ……. was quoted $580 for total service or $280 for valve adjustment.

R

Riceman-Ducker

Mar 14, 2020
Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My only comment is the manual says “inspect valve clearance as needed, if engine is noisy”.
Sure seems like they leave a big gray area for a bad dealer to take advantage of you.
When I take mine in for recall and first service I will ask them to tell me if they need adjusting while we listen to it run.

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ll preface this comment with the disclosure that I haven’t read the Honda manual on this particular engine. However AFAIK the principle applies to all non hydraulic lifter engines. Noisy valves have excessive clearance and won’t damage the valve seat. Tight valves are quiet and that’s where you burn an exhaust valve seat. I’d expect the only way to know that you are in tolerance for sure is feeler gauges.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!