P500 First Service $$

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I was told by the salesperson that at 20 hours it needed to come in for its first service. True?
And I just called and asked if the valve clearance needed adjustments how much and they told me depends. Also depends how it came from the factory if it needs it or not. Would that not be a warranty issue?

How much of this is hogwash ?

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
The first serve is oil change check cables air filer blah blah blah everything we can do at home and they only check the valves if you have noise and then charge crazy price i got suckered into that once and only once and had to pay 250$ for them to say we changed your oil and everything looks great

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
And it also falls on your own comfort level working on your ride to each their own i guess

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
the valve adjustment, no way.
Oil changes, thats obvious.
Just not sure if my dealer is trying to squeeze me outta of every penny they can

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
your at 20 hours or close to 100 miles its time to get the oil and filter changed.Clean the air cleaner and give it a good looking over.No valve adjustment yet unless you hear them rapping or ticking..And no valve adjustment is not a warranty issue.Even if it were warranty issue my dealer will never get their meat beaters on my machine..........Get your self a service manual and watch the videos and use the write ups on these forums.Half of the people touching your machine are nitwits at these dealers.They may have one certified mechanic,but the rest are lunkheads.And the lunkheads are going to be the ones tearing down your baby and stripping and breaking bolts off.

H

Handa

Jun 13, 2015
I have a 2012 Foreman coming up 2000 hours, yet to check the valve clearances ;)

Reactions: jak9922
mrjeff42

mrjeff42

Mar 22, 2015
lagrange georgia
Ownership

1. 500
i just want to say i am one of the lucky ones and have a good dealership here in lagrange georgia.... weathers honda has been good to me.... they are not big.... we are just a small town but they have been here for as long as i can remember.....at least 30 years.... good people over there.... hey to carol weathers

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the Club @Handa !!

marchinkeja

marchinkeja

Feb 15, 2015
Carpendale,Wv
I took my back to the dealership for the first oil change... After $228 bill,that will be the last time it goes back.

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
My wrench showed up last month. I haven't rode it but one time since. Just a few hours on the trails. Checked the oil and it was clean , but I will change it before my next ride.
This is what worries me. Going to the dealer and getting a BS bill for nothing. Never mind the fact that I have read where someone brings in a fine machine just to get it back with issues.
Do ta valves really need adjusting?

obxguy2000

obxguy2000

Aug 24, 2015
Sanford North Carolina
My wrench just showed up last week. Called the dealership and they said they can do the service for $300! WTF?! A couple of old school motorcycle mechanics told me that valves used to only need to be adjusted when you hear them making noise, but not sure about newer Honda motors. They said the noise is very obvious. I had also heard that some dealerships will simply see if there is any noise and if not, charge you for adjustment even though not done. The charge is to cover the work "incase" it needs adjusting. Let me know how your oil change goes.

J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
If you adjust your valves every 100 miles you probably will have engine trouble, I don't know why honda is doing this, most automobiles now have low maintenance engines due to new technology. some manufacturers are doing 5000 mile services, some even do 7500 mile service intervals. Just my opinion I don't have a PHD in Variable valve timing.

Buryit

Buryit

Sep 18, 2015
National Forest, NW AR
Pretty convinced I will just service and document it myself. I was going to take mine to them for first one but the guy mumbling something about the damn valves on the phone convinced me.

Besides one of the best mechanics in the country has a shop just for Atv/utvs 5 miles from me if needed.

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Pretty convinced I will just service and document it myself. I was going to take mine to them for first one but the guy mumbling something about the damn valves on the phone convinced me.

Besides one of the best mechanics in the country has a shop just for Atv/utvs 5 miles from me if needed.
its not the yotube dude is it?

RODNUT

RODNUT

May 16, 2015
No need to take it to the dealer to be charged outrageous for somthing you can do yourself. The valves need to be adjusted occasionally when there is a problem. As they wear they can get out of adjustment, to loose (noise) or too tight (low compression/ hard to start). Its not rocket science to fix. All thats needed is access to the top of the motor (the hardest part of the job as the seats and all the underlying plastic need to be removed.) an appropriate feeler gauge and a couple of wrenches.Youtube has several videos on how to adjust valves, all engines with solid lifters have the same procedure. Pull the caps, turn the motor to top dead center and check the valve stem to rocker arm clearance, adjust according. Just take your time and make it a fun learning experience, it aint difficult.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!