P500 First Service !!!!

C

Chris863

Feb 14, 2016
Bartow
Hi I'm up for my first service on my pioneer 500 and a lot of people I've talked to said its a waste of money!! I live in central Florida and its around $300 from the honda shop I got it from!!! I was wondering if it is a waste of money and if I should just change the oil myself to get all the shavings and all out but skip the rest of it because it's brand new and running great already !!! Any advice would help

C

Chooglin

I did my first service myself (like many others have). I just don't trust the dealers !!!

Oil and filter change , diff. Lube change , check air filter and valve clearance.

Check out the diy that Code54 wrote up , and see if this is something you feel comfortable doing your self!

P500 - P500 Valve adjustment

Akfishbum

Akfishbum

Jul 9, 2015
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I did all except the valve adjustment myself, very easy this forum had good threads on it. I am lucky I have a motorcycle mechanic (Yamaha and Harley certified) in the family with all the tools so I had him do the valves
for me.

Reactions: JCart
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the how-to

I did my first oil change last night at 92 miles.... I'm used to ATV's and motorcycles so it was a bit more of a pain than I am used to.... not hard, just more time consuming. Next time I will use some simple green and wash the area around and under the passenger side of the seat to prevent dirt from getting in when the oil filter is off.

I figure I will change the oil again after another 100 miles just to flush out more of the metal shavings from break in. There were a lot of fine shavings after 92 miles so I'm sure there are still a few more in there that didn't get flushed out at the first change.

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
If you're not sure of the valve adjustment, just do the fluid change and air filter clean on your own and let the dealer do the adjustment..you'll still save $$$

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks for the how-to

I did my first oil change last night at 92 miles.... I'm used to ATV's and motorcycles so it was a bit more of a pain than I am used to.... not hard, just more time consuming. Next time I will use some simple green and wash the area around and under the passenger side of the seat to prevent dirt from getting in when the oil filter is off.

I figure I will change the oil again after another 100 miles just to flush out more of the metal shavings from break in. There were a lot of fine shavings after 92 miles so I'm sure there are still a few more in there that didn't get flushed out at the first change.
That's odd, I opened up the filter and screened the drained oil as well, left the plug out all night and completed the job the next day, I found no metal shavings at all in mine. A friend has 1,950 miles on his and hasn't adjusted the valves and there's no troubles.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
That's odd, I opened up the filter and screened the drained oil as well, left the plug out all night and completed the job the next day, I found no metal shavings at all in mine. A friend has 1,950 miles on his and hasn't adjusted the valves and there's no troubles.

Very fine metal particles. The oil looks "shiny" when you swirl it around. I also used a black oil drain pan and shined a light in it.

I didn't mean like metal chunks, just very fine metal particles... Nothing to worry about, but definitely there. And that's why the first oil change is required early - as the metal parts break in, there is a lot of wear and the oil carries it out.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Very fine metal particles. The oil looks "shiny" when you swirl it around. I also used a black oil drain pan and shined a light in it.

I didn't mean like metal chunks, just very fine metal particles... Nothing to worry about, but definitely there. And that's why the first oil change is required early - as the metal parts break in, there is a lot of wear and the oil carries it out.
I think they washed mine out at the factory before they filled it with oil and ran it. I had literally nothing like that in mine. Must of been built on a Tuesday or Thursday. :)

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I think they washed mine out at the factory before they filled it with oil and ran it. I had literally nothing like that in mine. Must of been built on a Tuesday or Thursday. :)
Yeah maybe mine was built on a Friday afternoon! Haha

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Sometimes you will find a little metal in the oil and it is most likely from the original machining of the motor. It should get flushed before assembly but like everything sometimes some gets hung up and does not flush until the first change. Normally nothing to worry about. I do a lot of work on larger machines (tractors) and at the first service it is unusual to NOT find any metal residue. This is why the first oil change is so important in my opinion.

Reactions: SBuckJ
advertisement
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Sometimes you will find a little metal in the oil and it is most likely from the original machining of the motor. It should get flushed before assembly but like everything sometimes some gets hung up and does not flush until the first change. Normally nothing to worry about. I do a lot of work on larger machines (tractors) and at the first service it is unusual to NOT find any metal residue. This is why the first oil change is so important in my opinion.
I have a little experien building quad motors. I always drop the oil after an hour or so and I always see fine metal particles. Like you said, that's why the first oil change needs done early. I actually like to do the second one pretty early too. After another 100 miles, the Amsoil is going in. :)

They also make an atv/utv specific gear oil now, so that will be going in as soon as it comes... I ordered a couple quarts. Hopefully that quiets it down a bit.

I think my clutch needs adjusted too. Tends to slip a bit when engaging 4th and 5th.

K

Kirkl

Jul 13, 2015
E. WA
Just checked my dealer and they want $273 for labor plus parts for first service. Think ill do oil change and air myself and let them do the valves. That doesnt mess with the warranty does it by doing it myself?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Just checked my dealer and they want $273 for labor plus parts for first service. Think ill do oil change and air myself and let them do the valves. That doesnt mess with the warranty does it by doing it myself?
No it doesn't. This is my only criticism of my beloved P-5. It's a huge design flaw on Hondas part that costs the owner dearly in time or money (depending on whether or not we do it ourselves) every time we need to change our oil. In addition, we have two participants on this forum, that I'm aware of, who have had the misfortune of stripped bolts in the oil filter housing cover or the drain plug. And not every P-5 owner in the world is a participant on this forum. So no telling how many have had that problem. My dealer couldn't caution me enough about it when I told him I was doing it myself, and, while he said that doing it myself wouldn't void the warranty, he did say it would be on me if I stripped out the bolts or plug. He told me his own certified mechanics had stripped a couple of the dozens they've serviced! Also, before you change your own oil, I highly recommend viewing the very well written thread on changing the P-5 oil by Hondasxs, here on this forum. Good luck to you.

Honda Pioneer 500 Oil Change Guide

Last edited:
Reactions: Grayling
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
No it doesn't. This is my only criticism of my beloved P-5. It's a huge design flaw on Hondas part that costs the owner dearly in time or money (depending on whether or not we do it ourselves) every time we need to change our oil. In addition, we have two participants on this forum, that I'm aware of, who have had the misfortune of stripped bolts in the oil filter housing cover or the drain plug. And not every P-5 owner in the world is a participant on this forum. So no telling how many have had that problem. My dealer couldn't caution me enough about it when I told him I was doing it myself, and, while he said that doing it myself wouldn't void the warranty, he did say it would be on me if I stripped out the bolts or plug. He told me his own certified mechanics had stripped a couple of the dozens they've serviced! Also, before you change your own oil, I highly recommend viewing the very well written thread on changing the P-5 oil by Hondasxs, here on this forum. Good luck to you.

Honda Pioneer 500 Oil Change Guide

It makes no sense whatsoever that Honda has never updated their torque specs for those tiny bolts. The P500 is not the first Honda machine that has had the ridiculous 9 lb/ft torque spec on those tiny bolts. I learned my lesson the first time I rebuilt a Honda engine. I had to put about 9 heli coils in that thing. Do NOT torque those bolts to their spec. Just tighten them till they are snug. Use good judgement and u won't have a problem.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It makes no sense whatsoever that Honda has never updated their torque specs for those tiny bolts. The P500 is not the first Honda machine that has had the ridiculous 9 lb/ft torque spec on those tiny bolts. I learned my lesson the first time I rebuilt a Honda engine. I had to put about 9 heli coils in that thing. Do NOT torque those bolts to their spec. Just tighten them till they are snug. Use good judgement and u won't have a problem.
Yep, in case you haven't seen my posts in the "change oil" thread, I already said the same thing, while pointing out that there's very little pressure on that cover. I don't even use a torque wrench when tightening them, just a very short handled ratchet, then I keep an eye on it for the first ride or two afterwards. I'd rather have to tighten them a tad more because of a drip then the opposite alternative. I've done three successful oil changes. But not everyone knows what you and I do, that's why I encouraged Kirkl to read Hondasxs' very helpful write up. :)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!