First time in Moab

C

CWhitmarsh

May 29, 2020
Port Angeles, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The family and I have been in Moab for the last couple days and we have loved it. I have to admit, I was a little skeptical about how the Pioneer 1000-5 would perform out here (even after hearing about others in this group had great success). Yesterday we did Fins & Things and Hell's Revenge (sans optional obstacles) and I must say the Pioneer was amazing. We made a friend on the Hell's Revenge trail and they asked us to lead them. They were in a Can Am Maverick 4 seater (rental). They were laughing at how many times my front tire(s) kept coming off the ground, but I don't know that I really noticed it happening. Fortunately they also had a Go Pro on their rig so they're going to share their videos with me after they get home next week.

If I have any complaints (or maybe just constructive criticisms) it would be the transmission seemed to bog on the low end when I was crawling over some larger rocks (even in low), the heat in the cab, and the bumpiness of the stock suspension. I believe all of these things are fixable.

Prior to the trip I added the Honda bimini top roof, the Seizmik bed extender, and a Badlands 5000 pound winch. I wish I would have replaced the stock tires with some Tusk Terabytes as others here suggested and bought a spare at that.

C

CWhitmarsh

May 29, 2020
Port Angeles, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Moab in JULY!?!?! How hot was it? Glad the Pioneer worked well for you. 👍
It hasn’t been bad. Yesterday was our first full day of riding and I think it hit into the 90s. Supposed to be around 100 the next 3 days, so we will see. The roof is providing a good deal of shade and we bring lots of water in a cooler. Our campsite has a commercial ice machine available for us, so we get to keep refreshing the cooler as much as we want.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If I have any complaints (or maybe just constructive criticisms) it would be the transmission seemed to bog on the low end when I was crawling over some larger rocks (even in low), the heat in the cab, and the bumpiness of the stock suspension. I believe all of these things are fixable.
You can mitigate the heat to a degree, you can install an IGR for lower gearing and better rock climbing, and you can of course upgrade suspension…😎👍

C

CWhitmarsh

May 29, 2020
Port Angeles, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here’s a pic I took during one of our snack breaks.

1BF68286 92CA 459D 9771 B53825B27A32

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi,

Moab is such a fun place if you’d like to be outdoors. I spend time growing up in Moab and it sure has changed over the last 50+ years. But I sure enjoyed getting back and doing the things I used to do when I was younger in the back of a CJ5 and CJ7. This was back before anybody thought of a three wheeler, an ATV or UTV.

those are fun trails and really close to town so you don’t have to venture very far out. If you haven’t already looked at it, take Sand Flats Road up towards the mountains. You can escape the heat and visit two lakes that are on the Loop Road.

enjoy the rest of your time out there. But as people have pointed out, Moab is no place to be during the summer. I’m pretty sure that I saw it was 117° last weekend. Probably the best time to be out there is October time frame when the deer and elk season are getting close to starting.
Rob

Frogtown

Frogtown

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X
Sounds fun. Definitely on my hit list just a matter of when. Long way from home lol

Reactions: Smitty335
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Yep, and Oowah Lake. Both are off of the Loop road and will be a fun little excursion into cooler temps. There is a nice stream that runs along the road up to Oowah. The last time I was on the riad, Right before the metal bridge, I saw a bear. That was about 5 years ago. Geyser Pass Rd will take you to Dark Canyon lake. It’s interesting because it is a volcanic steam shaft that filled up with water. Very deep for a mountain lake.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yep, and Oowah Lake. Both are off of the Loop road and will be a fun little excursion into cooler temps. There is a nice stream that runs along the road up to Oowah. The last time I was on the riad, Right before the metal bridge, I saw a bear. That was about 5 years ago. Geyser Pass Rd will take you to Dark Canyon lake. It’s interesting because it is a volcanic steam shaft that filled up with water. Very deep for a mountain lake.
Is this anywhere near the end of the Rimrocker trail?

C

CWhitmarsh

May 29, 2020
Port Angeles, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi,

Moab is such a fun place if you’d like to be outdoors. I spend time growing up in Moab and it sure has changed over the last 50+ years. But I sure enjoyed getting back and doing the things I used to do when I was younger in the back of a CJ5 and CJ7. This was back before anybody thought of a three wheeler, an ATV or UTV.

those are fun trails and really close to town so you don’t have to venture very far out. If you haven’t already looked at it, take Sand Flats Road up towards the mountains. You can escape the heat and visit two lakes that are on the Loop Road.

enjoy the rest of your time out there. But as people have pointed out, Moab is no place to be during the summer. I’m pretty sure that I saw it was 117° last weekend. Probably the best time to be out there is October time frame when the deer and elk season are getting close to starting.
Rob
That sounds awesome. We will definitely go check that out. We didn’t really want to come this time of year, but it’s kind of my treat to the family after retiring and we had other obligations coming up that made it the only time we could get it done. Thankfully, the weather did come down a little bit but it’s supposed to be around 100 each day this weekend.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi,

Yes and no. Here is a quick screen shot of the area in question.

The purple line is the Rim Rocker. If you get off Two Mile Rd on to Geyser Creek Rd, it takes you right to Dark Canyon Lake and then on to Geyser Pass (10,400') and then to the La Sal Loop Rd. From there you could catch Sand Flats Rd right into Moab. You would pass by Fins n Things and Hells Revenge trails. Pretty famous in the area. And you would also get to see Lion's Back and Still be able to ride Little Lion's Back. It's just a small obstacle off of Sand Flats. Sand Flats is just a sand/gravel road. There is a fee if you plan to stay and ride in the area, but last time I came from the Loop Rd down to Moab on it, I was not charged for going through.

Geyser Pass has a lot of dark timber. The trees are so dense its very dark and you can't see very far into the woods. Hard to hunt elk up there unless you catch one in the meadows or crossing the road.

Rob

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
This stuff is making me home sick... I wasn't planning on being out there until the fall.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This stuff is making me home sick... I wasn't planning on being out there until the fall.
May just have to join us on the Rimrocker Trail ride August 29th through September 4th….👍😎

Reactions: crewcabrob
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
May just have to join us on the Rimrocker Trail ride August 29th through September 4th….👍😎
I'm pretty sure I would be in the dog house for a long time, my youngest gets married on September 5th. Too many family functions I would miss...

• Haha
Reactions: Montecresto

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!