P1000 Fixing Flats...

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How are you guys fixing your flats?? Plugs or breaking down the tire and patching the inside? I'd Like to patch but I'm not sure how get it off the bead without too much "Brute force and Ignorance"...

Any suggestions?

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Plugs on the trail. Then if the hole is really bad I found a local place that will vulcanize the tire. Basically the go in and put new rubber in where the hole was. The procedure does cause come cosmetic disfiguring but it make that spot stronger. You can see in the two pictures below where I had three holes vulcanized below where they needed to grind off some of the side lug.
IMG 4673 IMG 4672

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Are you looking for a step by step guide or redneck tips?

Redneck tip 1 High Lifter jack under the bumper makes a good bead breaker

I have had no flats since I put tire sealer in.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya, Redneck tips are best...Ya can always fix flats with $10 bills but that's not my style...LOL

Breaking the bead is the PITA part, I was thinking about using the front blade of the bucket on the skiploader but one wrong move and you've dicked up a $200 wheel. Harbor Freight has a wheel machine pretty cheap, I might make a run and take a look.

Thanks...

J

JTW

Plugs on the trail. Then if the hole is really bad I found a local place that will vulcanize the tire. Basically the go in and put new rubber in where the hole was. The procedure does cause come cosmetic disfiguring but it make that spot stronger. You can see in the two pictures below where I had three holes vulcanized below where they needed to grind off some of the side lug.
View attachment 57756 View attachment 57757
I may need to send one home with you

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You weren’t able to find anyone local?
Any over the road recap shop should be able to revulcanize the side wall of these things.

J

JTW

You weren’t able to find anyone local?
Any over the road recap shop should be able to revulcanize the side wall of these things.
They wanted more than I could buy a new tire for!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Plugs have always worked good for us even in sidewall.
If you do break it down for patch or tire pops off bead, red neck fix 2( lol @GPR1500SC statement) one can use ratchet strap around tire and beer on bead to help seat for air. Or by slightly more aggressive means and use flammable material inside tire and throw match at a relatively safe distance.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Plugs have always worked good for us even in sidewall.
If you do break it down for patch or tire pops off bead, red neck fix 2( lol @GPR1500SC statement) one can use ratchet strap around tire and beer on bead to help seat for air. Or by slightly more aggressive means and use flammable material inside tire and throw match at a relatively safe distance.

#3 on flammable bead seating 35% stuff works the best cheap unrated stuff and John Deer 85% is to unpredictable. :D

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It cost me $30 a tire, this place is actually a big truck tire shop. It is not your normal type tire shop...

Reactions: JTW
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
How are you guys fixing your flats?? Plugs or breaking down the tire and patching the inside? I'd Like to patch but I'm not sure how get it off the bead without too much "Brute force and Ignorance"...

Any suggestions?
Piug it works just fine done it for years.

Reactions: Rincon
N

NorthStar

Jun 12, 2018
North
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya, Redneck tips are best...Ya can always fix flats with $10 bills but that's not my style...LOL

Breaking the bead is the PITA part, I was thinking about using the front blade of the bucket on the skiploader but one wrong move and you've dicked up a $200 wheel. Harbor Freight has a wheel machine pretty cheap, I might make a run and take a look.

Thanks...
The only experience I have changing tires so far is on my Honda CRF50. Guys at the shop say they are the worst tires to change due to the small size and stiffness. I used to call a buddy to attack it with 4 tire irons. Since I bought that mini-wheel changer from HF it's taken a lot of the hassle out of it. I'm sure they make one for larger wheels.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
hoghead76

hoghead76

Feb 7, 2018
oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks...
Don't waste your money, key word cheap

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Plug or Plugs along with some superglue.

I don't know why, but just plugs often have very slow leaks for me. The addition of super glue to my plug repairs have stopped that entirely. I air the tire back to desired pressure trim the excess plug then slop super glue on the plug and quarter size area around it and then cover my super glue slop with baking soda which instantly sets the super glue.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Plug or Plugs along with some superglue.

I don't know why, but just plugs often have very slow leaks for me. The addition of super glue to my plug repairs have stopped that entirely. I air the tire back to desired pressure trim the excess plug then slop super glue on the plug and quarter size area around it and then cover my super glue slop with baking soda which instantly sets the super glue.
I can see where that would help a lot. We try to use the rubber cement and douse the plugs with it. They go in easily and seal up good. I’ll give 5 min before air

Last edited:
J

jge3

Jun 28, 2018
kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
if a plug doesnt do it we break one bead and tube it to get home on. Beadbuster works great but alittle on the expensive side. Once home we have a tire shope that has large plugs with a patch on it they install from the inside of the tire. Think the plugs are actually intended for tractor and backhoe tires

Reactions: Mudwing
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Heres a pic of a patch/plug beside the bead from a pinch flat. Held up good.

20180703 223951

20180703 224005

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!