Food Plot Tilling

J

JTW

I put in a few new plots last fall.....I thought about using a ATV/UTV attachments but ended up getting someone to disc them up. My buddy just pulled some of my trail cam cards yesterday and I was sure surprised when he sent me this one. I get about as much enjoyment going thru the pictures as I do hunting. I also had some small watering holes put in and they are magnets to all kinds of wildlife.

View attachment 39265

The date on the camera is off, not sure how that happened. This was Monday this week.
That's awesome.. we had a pet albino when I was growing up. We had her for close to 10 years I guess.. her name was snowball!

Sweetroll

Sweetroll

Oct 12, 2016
Boise, ID
www.mh-solutions.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The soil is pretty sandy and there isn't a lot of grass growth currently (definitely less than you'd see back East I'm sure). We've also had a ton of moisture this year which helps my optimism. Just found a hit on craigslist with an ATV type disc plow - if it's not total garbage then we may have found a cheap way to do a test. I'll update with some pic's and how it goes...

I agree on the trail cam pics. Awesome catch on the albino! Gives you a whole different insight on how the animals behave. Caught this spike last year playing in the wallow. Wish I would have had it video mode.
01a3ae53abc730e607c78d6d64bf6c21a41ca11b49

J

JTW

The soil is pretty sandy and there isn't a lot of grass growth currently (definitely less than you'd see back East I'm sure). We've also had a ton of moisture this year which helps my optimism. Just found a hit on craigslist with an ATV type disc plow - if it's not total garbage then we may have found a cheap way to do a test. I'll update with some pic's and how it goes...

I agree on the trail cam pics. Awesome catch on the albino! Gives you a whole different insight on how the animals behave. Caught this spike last year playing in the wallow. Wish I would have had it video mode.
View attachment 39278
I think if you can get enough weight on the atv disk it might work.. it's just a matter of how well and what you're planting.

Last edited by a moderator:
lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I agree 100%.
I don't know a damn thing about Idaho soil but anything pulled behind a UTV here will just cut off clumps of grass and ride on top of the ground.
Spend the money to hire somebody or rent a tractor and rototiller to do it right. You'll be money ahead and save yourself a lot of frustration.

OP, I'm trying to think of a way of not coming off sounding negative, but this info is spot on. ATV/UTV's are just not designed to operate farm equipment for many reasons. They do not have the weight, heavy duty gears, low end torque, and although the engines are great, they are not designed to work continuously under that kind of load. Furthermore, they don't have a three point hitch, or anchor system designed to handle that kind of strain and abuse, it would take to hold downward pressure to break up hard ground, and also no lift system.

Companies make implements for them, but this honestly just gives a false sense of what they will really do, when you try to put them to use. I would either hire the landowner, or someone else to do the work, unless you are looking to purchase a tractor and disk, to do it yourself.

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi All,
Looking to see if anyone has any experience using a Honda for food plot preparation using a chisel plow like this. It's marketed to be used by ATV's so I don't believe power will be an issue, but just looking for any feedback before I make the purchase.
View attachment 39113

I have been down the same path as you. We do several food plots, with some in fairly remote areas. In our experience, the implements designed for ATV/UTV just don't cut it for our type of soil.
We now have a 40 hp diesel tractor and all the implements to go with it. We bought the implements used from local farmers.
I really wanted the UTV implements to work, it's a challenge getting the tractor to some of the areas.
We only use the ATV/UTV's to pull a drag around and to haul seed and beer.
I hope what your looking at works for your area. Definitely did not for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweetroll

Sweetroll

Oct 12, 2016
Boise, ID
www.mh-solutions.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, we were pleasantly surprised by how well the disk plow worked yesterday. Had the Honda in low gear and crawled at 3-4mph and the disks did a great job. No problems with the Honda either - the temp gauge never moved and I only heard the fan come on a few times for a short period. Not something I would want to do with it every day, but definitely didn't test it at all.
Had to do two passes with the plow at the maximum angle setting due to the amount of grass we were cutting up, then we put the seed down and then went over it one more time with the disks straight and also pulling a section of grating in order to pull the soil over the seeds and level everything out. I think we'll get as good a return on the seed as we could hope for. I'll post pics later on when we have some growth. I would definitely recommend this disc for a guy that has a couple acres to plant and can do so with the soil wet. We'll also try and catch it earlier in the year next year before the grass really sets in.
It's the Field Tuff 51in ATV Gang Disk sold at Cabelas - I don't remember if I posted that info earlier if anyone cares.
Firstpasscutting Startingplot1b Bothplots Plot1finished

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
looks like the farmer has some plots near you too.What you planting?

Sweetroll

Sweetroll

Oct 12, 2016
Boise, ID
www.mh-solutions.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Our's was a mix of some sorghum and milo that we're hoping will be drought resistant and good pheasant cover. The main fields are going to be potato and sugar beets this year. Potato for the section in the picture I believe.

Reactions: swsebek
ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, we were pleasantly surprised by how well the disk plow worked yesterday. Had the Honda in low gear and crawled at 3-4mph and the disks did a great job. No problems with the Honda either - the temp gauge never moved and I only heard the fan come on a few times for a short period. Not something I would want to do with it every day, but definitely didn't test it at all.
Had to do two passes with the plow at the maximum angle setting due to the amount of grass we were cutting up, then we put the seed down and then went over it one more time with the disks straight and also pulling a section of grating in order to pull the soil over the seeds and level everything out. I think we'll get as good a return on the seed as we could hope for. I'll post pics later on when we have some growth. I would definitely recommend this disc for a guy that has a couple acres to plant and can do so with the soil wet. We'll also try and catch it earlier in the year next year before the grass really sets in.
It's the Field Tuff 51in ATV Gang Disk sold at Cabelas - I don't remember if I posted that info earlier if anyone cares.
View attachment 41175 View attachment 41176 View attachment 41177 View attachment 41178

Glad you found something that worked.....that's some big open country right there, btw. Beautiful.

advertisement