100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK, at the behest of @Hondasxs , I decided to start a thread for those of you who are interested in preparing for whatever emergency may arise. Wether it's weather related, Abysmal recorded harvests and forecasted harvest models for the years to come, global pandemics or simply because of job loss. Back to the time around and prior to WW2 Many people had their own gardens to supplement the rationing for the war effort and just make make ends meet, or to barter with neighbors for other goods and services. Many of the small town markets and general stores kept a well stocked larder in the back room to resupply themselves before they could get another delivery. Which, is in opposition to todays just in time daily deliveries from a main hub system. The current system only allows for todays grocery chains to hold enough food for the typical American household of about three days worth of food. What if you had to hunker down in your homes for an extended period, how would you feed your families?

In the event of a hurricane or threat of a snow storm accompanied with black ice conditions, the stores here almost get legally looted by the locals of all things like bread water cheese and so on. Just imagine what it would be like on a national scale due to civil or social unrest. Now imagine worst case scenarios. It only makes sense to put away some stores for the future as prices continue to rise and the packages get smaller.
Over the course of the last few months, I have heavily researched environmental, meteorological, astrophysics, and so many other sources of news reports and agency articles journals and reports that show we are headed I to a major food shortage. Just to name a few things:
potatoes
sugar beets
sugar cane
corn
soy beans
wheat
beans
onions
horseradish and quite a few others.

There are many sources of canned and dry goods available right now while we still have some national stock left in all the warehouses across the country.

CANNED GOODS
1 Canned food can be effected by temperature changes and typically has a nutritive value up to 2- 5 years if stored in a cold dry location in your home.
2 Don't throw out the water that the food is in as chances are all the vitamins and minerals have leached out into the water.
3 Pop-Top cans are already weakend by the pop top and are subject to loosing their seal resulting in higher yields of spoilage. I would not store them for long term especially in warmer climates

DRY GOODS
1 The average adult requires approximately 750 lbs of grains per year and children about half as much
2 Grains stored properly and in their unrefined form as seeds, typically have a much longer shelf storage life. An example is Hard Red Winter Wheat Berries (seeds) stored properly can last 30 years and still retain much of their nutrition and viability for planting. Ground wheat flour only nutritionally lasts about 2 years on the shelf.
3 Consider other grains to change your diet and not suffer Appetite Fatigue (you need a varied diet)
4 Ancient Grains like : Amaranth, Millet, Barley, Quinoa, sesame and sunflower seeds too.
5 Rices; some rice is more storable than others. Take for instance, Brown rice. While much better for you nutritionally, because of the fatty acids. It also will go rancid faster due to those same fatty acids. Look into white, long grain, basmati, Jasmine and others.
6 Wild Rice is actually a grain. Very nutritious

Consider sources for food to store besides the grocery stores. I often go to the big farmers market even in the off season to buy cases of honey, Apples, potatoes and whatever strikes my attention and that I can figure out a way to store it by Canning in mason jars , running stuff through the dehydrators or if you can afford one, by freeze drying it yourself.

MRES
Meals Ready To Eat
1 Really high in calories. Expect to gain some weight unless you're heavily exercising. These are after all made for the military.
2 Shelf life is like the canned food of not much better than 7 or so years and can be affected by heat.

DEHYDRATED FOOD
1 Is shelf stable 2-5 years depending on how much moisture is removed and proper storage.
2 When I do apple slices I 1st soak them in a lemonade or ascorbic acid solution to retain color and sweetness.
3 You can dehydrate fruits and veggies as well as various types of jerky.

FREEZE DRIED FOOD
1 Over all, it's the best option for storing food long term. It's not effected as much as the others by extreme temperature.
2 It retains it's nutritive value and flavor over a much longer time
3 Requires clean and usually hot water to rehydrate
4 Always add a little emore water than what it call for, stir well and let sit 5 minutes prior to eating to ensure full hydration and to reduce chances of bodily odors.

Some companies that sell FD entrees and veggies are as follows;

1 Mountain House. Tends to be higher in sodium but if life is strenuous like backpacking, the sodium is welcome.
2 Backpackers Pantry
3 Thrive. Less sodium
4 Augason Farms. The Walmart brand but still good quality. Mostly see in for sale in Utah and other Morman areas
5 My Patriot Supply Last I heard, they're getting some gov agency contracts.
6 Emergency Essentials
7 Wise-- Last I heard, they were getting sued about not telling the truth about recommended daily allowances in their products.
8 There are A FEW others you just have to look and read the reviews.

I hope this helps everyone to get ahead of the game and invest in keeping your families safe and well fed. If you have any other questions, feel free to comment.

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am also reading usda reports, global farm and harvest reports, and as an example: America is the largest grower and exporter of corn in the world. Brazil being the second. America just ordered 200,000 metric tons of corn to be delivered from Argentina this year. They are currently experiencing droughts. Brazil is in a record drought right now and facing record supply shortages. A lot of the corn, soy and wheat, either wasn't planted in time, got flooded or froze in the fields. I believe this years harvest was 35%-55% of normal yields.. Canada just had millions of acres of canola freeze in their fields, There's a shortage of olives and olive oil due to major droughts in the Mediterranean. There's currently a global shortage of horseradish. Many soda and other companies are actually removing sugar from their products altogether and replacing it with Asperteme. The sugar beet crops were a near total loss this year from flooding, as well as much of the sugarcane in the southern US froze. There has been many reports on shortages of seed potatoes due to flooding and freezes. Australia is in severe drought. Smithfield is the largest pork producer in America and are now a Chinese owned company. 98% of the pork raised by Smithfield is being sent to China due to the African swine flu that decimated billions of pigs. The flu has now been reported to be in Africa and Indonesia. China is in a big push to buy up all the available soy bean futures this year as well. Also the loss of many of America's cow herds due to flooding and Austrailia has been slaughtering my of their herds because there isn't any water to give them. I've read reports that some ranches are even killing off the breeding stock. Many farms are disappearing en masse in Europe on a daily basis due to regulation and weather conditions. The forecasted harvests for 2020 grain crops is also looking bleak and being less than 2019. There has been a big push to get people open to the idea on eating insects now as well. My point is, While there is still some plenty and prices aren't terribly high, stock up and put something aside for later. You pay for insurance don't you?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
OK, at the behest of @Hondasxs , I decided to start a thread for those of you who are interested in preparing for whatever emergency may arise. Wether it's weather related, Abysmal recorded harvests and forecasted harvest models for the years to come, global pandemics or simply because of job loss. Back to the time around and prior to WW2 Many people had their own gardens to supplement the rationing for the war effort and just make make ends meet, or to barter with neighbors for other goods and services. Many of the small town markets and general stores kept a well stocked larder in the back room to resupply themselves before they could get another delivery. Which, is in opposition to todays just in time daily deliveries from a main hub system. The current system only allows for todays grocery chains to hold enough food for the typical American household of about three days worth of food. What if you had to hunker down in your homes for an extended period, how would you feed your families?

In the event of a hurricane or threat of a snow storm accompanied with black ice conditions, the stores here almost get legally looted by the locals of all things like bread water cheese and so on. Just imagine what it would be like on a national scale due to civil or social unrest. Now imagine worst case scenarios. It only makes sense to put away some stores for the future as prices continue to rise and the packages get smaller.
Over the course of the last few months, I have heavily researched environmental, meteorological, astrophysics, and so many other sources of news reports and agency articles journals and reports that show we are headed I to a major food shortage. Just to name a few things:
potatoes
sugar beets
sugar cane
corn
soy beans
wheat
beans
onions

There are many sources of canned and dry goods available right now while we still have some national stock left in all the warehouses across the country.

CANNED GOODS
1 Canned food can be effected by temperature changes and typically has a nutritive value up to 2- 5 years if stored in a cold dry location in your home.
2 Don't throw out the water that the food is in as chances are all the vitamins and minerals have leached out into the water.
3 Pop-Top cans are already weakend by the pop top and are subject to loosing their seal resulting in higher yields of spoilage. I would not store them for long term especially in warmer climates

DRY GOODS
1 The average adult requires approximately 750 lbs of grains per year and children about half as much
2 Grains stored properly and in their unrefined form as seeds, typically have a much longer shelf storage life. An example is Hard Red Winter Wheat Berries (seeds) stored properly can last 30 years and still retain much of their nutrition and viability for planting. Ground wheat flour only nutritionally lasts about 2 years on the shelf.
3 Consider other grains to change your diet and not suffer Appetite Fatigue (you need a varied diet)
4 Ancient Grains like : Amaranth, Millet, Barley, Quinoa, sesame and sunflower seeds too.
5 Rices; some rice is more storable than others. Take for instance, Brown rice. While much better for you nutritionally, because of the fatty acids. It also will go rancid faster due to those same fatty acids. Look into white, long grain, basmati, Jasmine and others.

Consider sources for food to store besides the grocery stores. I often go to the big farmers market even in the off season to buy cases of honey, Apples, potatoes and whatever strikes my attention and that I can figure out a way to store it by Canning in mason jars , running stuff through the dehydrators or if you can afford one, by freeze drying it yourself.

MRES
Meals Ready To Eat
1 Really high in calories. Expect to gain some weight unless you're heavily exercising. These are after all made for the military.
2 Shelf life is like the canned food of not much better than 7 or so years and can be affected by heat.

DEHYDRATED FOOD
1 Is shelf stable 2-5 years depending on how much moisture is removed and proper storage.
2 When I do apple slices I 1st soak them in a lemonade or ascorbic acid solution to retain color and sweetness.

FREEZE DRIED FOOD
1 Over all, it's the best option for storing food long term. It's not effected as much as the others by extreme temperature.
4 Always add a little emore water than what it call for, stir well and let sit 5 minutes prior to eating to ensure full hydration and to reduce chances of bodily odors.

1 Mountain House. Tends to be higher in sodium but if life is strenuous like backpacking, the sodium is welcome.
2 Backpackers Pantry
3 Thrive. Less sodium
4 Augason Farms. The Walmart brand but still good quality. Mostly see in for sale in Utah and other Morman areas
6 Emergency Essentials
7 Wise-- Last I heard, they were getting sued about not telling the truth about recommended daily allowances in their products.

I hope this helps everyone to get ahead of the game and invest in keeping your families safe and well fed. If you have any other questions, feel free to comment.
Nice write up.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

potatoes
sugar beets
sugar cane
corn
soy beans
wheat
beans
onions

CANNED GOODS

DRY GOODS

MRES
Meals Ready To Eat

DEHYDRATED FOOD

FREEZE DRIED FOOD

2 Backpackers Pantry
3 Thrive. Less sodium
6 Emergency Essentials

Great info. Just wanted to add this. For their own particular doctrinal reasons, the Mormons are experts on food storage and for their own membership, they have food canning and storage facilities in most major cities around the country. Prior to Y2K, I had a friend who had access to one such facility in Dallas and he invited me with him. We went through the very large warehouse with a cart and picked 100# bags of beans, salt, dehydrated onions, oats, rice, buttered potato pearls, etc and then went to an area where we canned them in number two cans (about a gallon)

22 years latter we still open and use various products.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
F
Great info. Just wanted to add this. For their own particular doctrinal reasons, the Mormons are experts on food storage and for their own membership, they have food canning and storage facilities in most major cities around the country. Prior to Y2K, I had a friend who had access to one such facility in Dallas and he invited me with him. We went through the very large warehouse with a cart and picked 100# bags of beans, salt, dehydrated onions, oats, rice, buttered potato pearls, etc and then went to an area where we canned them in number two cans (about a gallon)

22 years latter we still open and use various products.
rom what I understand, you can only get number 10 cans of goods from the food pantries. The USDA & FDA SHUT DOWN THE CANNERY PART THAT WAS OPEN FOR PUBLIC USE AND NOT SURE IF YOU CAN STILL GET STUFF IN BAGS. I USED TO GO TO THE ONE IN KNOXVILLE. oops.

Reactions: TripleB and 906UP
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
F

rom what I understand, you can only get number 10 cans of goods from the food pantries. The USDA & FDA SHUT DOWN THE CANNERY PART THAT WAS OPEN FOR PUBLIC USE AND NOT SURE IF YOU CAN STILL GET STUFF IN BAGS. I USED TO GO TO THE ONE IN KNOXVILLE. oops.
If the number 10 can is the big one like the old big tin coffee cans, then that’s what I’m talking about.

the Mormon canning facilities is a whole other animal than food pantries and only members, or friends of members can access them. That’s how I got in. Anyway, I’ve got some of Bo Gritz’s long term storage food and a couple others as well, and IMO none of them are as good as the Mormons. But they’ve been doing this for 150 years.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What’s the shelf life of Cheetos? Just kidding @100Acre, nice write up and thanks for some good info.

Reactions: Mudwing and 100Acre
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!