BOX1

P500 For those using 27 inch tires.

R

RumpRocket

Dec 23, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500
My stock tires are almost worn out..... getting close to buying a new set..... was considering 27 inch, was wonder for those that have them how you like them and how does the P5oo handle them.....I already have 1 1/2 inch spacers on.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Depending on the brand you choose they may be 26" as a lot of them don't run true to size. My BH's are a true 26 and the P5 has no problem turning them. Plan to go with a true 27 or a short 28 when these wear out. Read that a true 28 would rub though. Let us know what you get and how you like them RR.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
27s smoothed out the ride, Journey 350s, bighorn type thread, run 8 psi, thinking 26.5 actual. No rub. Mainly rocky and muddy low speed riding here.

Last edited:
H

honda623

Jul 17, 2018
canada
I went 27 mud bugs smoothed the ride out a lot and handles them well I'm thinking about goin to a 28 after these. 28ba3b6da6fe18118189f31c7dfb6869

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

R

RumpRocket

Dec 23, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500
27s smoothed out the ride, Journey 350s, bighorn type thread, run 8 psi, thinking 26.5 actual. No rub. Mainly rocky and muddy low speed riding here.
In my area we can drive on paved roads.....paved roads tend to wear the tires faster....the trails near me also have lots of rocks and mud, and I too am a low speed driver......I tend to ride 50/50 between paved and dirt......I wore down the stock tires the first season...would this be normal wear for my conditions.....or is it because of the stock tires?.....I put on approx. 2000 miles this summer...keep in mind I am retired.

SpaceTroll

SpaceTroll

Jul 8, 2018
Kirbyville Tx
Ownership

1. 500
I'm running 27" mayhems. They have an aggresive tread for mud. Not very smooth till you hit 5 mph. I've put over 2000 miles on them with not a lot of wear. I would suggest spacers, they can be a little tippy under certain circumstances. No substantial power loss. There's a lot of red clay and thick gumbo mud where I ride and they turn them with no problem. I can stick a foot off in it to clean out the treads :) Good luck and let us know what you decide.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The subject of spacers was beaten to death long ago. Common knowledge with this machine that if you go up you have to go out, otherwise it's a pucker fest...period. We came off the high dollar for some taller more aggressive tires, then choose to keep them in handcuffs?
We all bought these machines with the 50" restriction in mind but a couple of inches isn't going to matter much unless you're riding where they have trail nazi's with tapes. Even then, the risk of tipping over out weighs the risk of a ticket.
Then there's the concern of stress on the drive train. Many have added aftermarket wheels and/or spacers and put it through it's paces for years now and it's proven that it'll take it. And again, benefit out weighs the risk.
There's not many things left on the P5 that someone hasn't been there done that and a handful that the consensus says makes the biggest difference in the ride...
Bigger better tires...preferably radials.
Spread the stance...preferably offset wheels but spacers work too.
Disconnect ASB...it's free.
Better shocks...expensive but worth it.

Don't mean to preach but with each one of these modifications you'll say 'wow, it's a different machine'. ;)

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
In my area we can drive on paved roads.....paved roads tend to wear the tires faster....the trails near me also have lots of rocks and mud, and I too am a low speed driver......I tend to ride 50/50 between paved and dirt......I wore down the stock tires the first season...would this be normal wear for my conditions.....or is it because of the stock tires?.....I put on approx. 2000 miles this summer...keep in mind I am retired.
Might want to check into STI Black Diamond XTR tires or other DOT compliant tires, they might wear better on pavement than an offroad tire. However, I have no experience with these.

Ragincajun92

Ragincajun92

Mar 19, 2018
Kingsland, Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I have 27” vampire 2s and noticed no difference over stock power loss wise. I think a 27 or 28” tire is perfect for these p500. I’m running no spacers but I do have 4+3 offset wheels which to my understanding is like having 1.5 spacers. I don’t feel near as tippy as I did stock

14C2EC4F 0416 4707 A8B0 F969E55B93DC

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I recommend radials. Had 26”x11x12 AMS Slingshots for 4000kms (3000 Miles) and are awesome tires (even at 50% left) and would buy again if radials. New shoes are 27x11x12 Bear Claw HTRs mounted on 5-2 rims, (all corners) mounted they are 10.5” wide and stick out, suggest putting mud flaps up front. Wife noticed the smoother ride instantly... Now in fairness I did install Elkas shocks in a Stage 3 in January and they are nice no question, however the addition of radials are so much nicer, like plush aired to 5 psi. The ride is mmmm, controlled pillowy compliant and the faster you go...She (wife) is gonna be a terror on it. Interesting I find myself driving 1-2 gears faster, but also notice that I’ll be unconsciously bracing for the bump hit/jar and it’s not there, just seems to float over. And the radial contribute to the plusher ride no question, I’d guess 30-40% better.

With above I’m 53” wide in rear and 54” wide in front. Pix in my link too. Lastly ridding impressions with radials are my initial ones as I’ve just put these on and have not ridden too far, just mucked about, all the same radials are nice.
Cheers,
j

Last edited:
R

RumpRocket

Dec 23, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500
A local business owner has a book 1 inch thick with tires....he sells for 30% under retail.....I plan on going back today to look up the tires everyone mentioned

I was looking at Ancla 24x8-12 6-ply listed for $91.00 that I could get for about $63.00 each.....I was thinking about going with 2 of these in the front until the rear tires wear down and need changing.

will keep everyone posted.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
A local business owner has a book 1 inch thick with tires....he sells for 30% under retail.....I plan on going back today to look up the tires everyone mentioned

I was looking at Ancla 24x8-12 6-ply listed for $91.00 that I could get for about $63.00 each.....I was thinking about going with 2 of these in the front until the rear tires wear down and need changing.

will keep everyone posted.

No question it pays to shop and especially tires. I like to shop local and support local business, however, in Western Canada prices for tires and stock Honda parts at local dealerships is just too much. I typically check for larger ticket items, tires wheels etc. Small stuff filters, oil I get local in an effort to support them.

So I checked locally for my Kenda Bearclaw HTRs. Best quoted mounted on my existing 5-2 rims all in $1300.00 and change and I’d have to wait 10 days. Went online to a Canadian Co. back East in Quebec, $850.00 all in (not mounted though) to my door. Ordered online late Thursday night, (like 10:00 pm) prior to a long weekend and following Wednesday they where at my doorsteep. Mounting was $44.00. Savings of $400.00 f*** that makes me mad. Then when I check online for USD pricing..... so much for free trade.

Ok rant over..... I rotate my tires (front to back) so I have optimal traction and minimize wear on the running gear.... depending on budget and what you’re doing RumpRocket, I’d checkout FortNine.com, with difference in dollar who knows might be an option too. Lastly I recommend at least a true 26” tire many are undersized and radials if you can.
j

C

Chadwick1968

Oct 7, 2018
Angola la
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
My stock tires are almost worn out..... getting close to buying a new set..... was considering 27 inch, was wonder for those that have them how you like them and how does the P5oo handle them.....I already have 1 1/2 inch spacers on.
Mine has 27 inch mudlite xtr and they last forever and didn’t rub Great riding radial tire

Nashby

Nashby

Feb 4, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
These are 27 by 8.5 by 14 light-duty mud terrain truck tires all the way around they are a true 27 in tall. I also have 2 Inch spacers all the way around. There is no noticeable power loss and I have never had them rub. I have tried Maxxis bighorns, Sedona rip saws and now these. These are my absolute favorite and have already proven they are going to last way longer. I mostly ride ditch banks around home, logging roads in the mountains and ATV trails. I got all four of these tires from walmart.com for around $100 a tire shipped to my door. I have not seen anyone else with a p500 used light-duty truck tires, which I completely understand why, because it took me years to finally give them a try. But, now that I've tried them I am never going back to ATV tires. I've always got around 5,000 miles out of ATV tires. These tires should last at least 25,000 miles I believe they were rated for 50,000 miles and that's on a small pickup truck that weighs at least twice as much as a p500 and they cost less then ATV tires. I wish I would have switched over years ago.

20190313 211916 20190302 164712 20190313 212228 20190313 212153 20190313 185041

RoadGator916

RoadGator916

Jan 23, 2019
MinneSNOWta
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
These are 27 by 8.5 by 14 light-duty mud terrain truck tires all the way around they are a true 27 in tall. I also have 2 Inch spacers all the way around. There is no noticeable power loss and I have never had them rub. I have tried Maxxis bighorns, Sedona rip saws and now these. These are my absolute favorite and have already proven they are going to last way longer. I mostly ride ditch banks around home, logging roads in the mountains and ATV trails. I got all four of these tires from walmart.com for around $100 a tire shipped to my door. I have not seen anyone else with a p500 used light-duty truck tires, which I completely understand why, because it took me years to finally give them a try. But, now that I've tried them I am never going back to ATV tires. I've always got around 5,000 miles out of ATV tires. These tires should last at least 25,000 miles I believe they were rated for 50,000 miles and that's on a small pickup truck that weighs at least twice as much as a p500 and they cost less then ATV tires. I wish I would have switched over years ago.

View attachment 119129 View attachment 119130 View attachment 119131 View attachment 119132 View attachment 119133

Nashby, How long ago did you buy them? I went on walmart.com and was looking for them but I can seem to find them. I found something that was a similar LT all-terrain tire but not the ones that you purchased. I am going to look around at a few other stores to see what else I can find. Any help would be appreciated. If I cannot find some LT tires I may go with the Tusk Terrabites in a 27" tire. Thanks for the help

RoadGator916

RoadGator916

Jan 23, 2019
MinneSNOWta
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I found them in a 15" wheel but not for the 14" wheel.

Nashby

Nashby

Feb 4, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
Nashby, How long ago did you buy them? I went on walmart.com and was looking for them but I can seem to find them. I found something that was a similar LT all-terrain tire but not the ones that you purchased. I am going to look around at a few other stores to see what else I can find. Any help would be appreciated. If I cannot find some LT tires I may go with the Tusk Terrabites in a 27" tire. Thanks for the help

I got them about a year ago. I just looked and could not find them on wallmart.com either. Here's a couple other options I considered before getting mine . I'm sure they are just as good. The buckshot's May even be better because they are a more well known brand. I went with the desert Hawks because when I was looking they were the cheapest and I like the looks of them too. I think the Buckshot look just as good or better than mine . Once you get them be sure and do a review on the Forum so other people will realize how awesome the truck tires are . I just can't say enough good about them, they really are great !! Good luck, I hope this helps .
Screenshot 20190408 135415 Amazon Shopping
Screenshot 20190408 135542 eBay
Screenshot 20190408 135352 Amazon Shopping

Reactions: chdrake2002
RoadGator916

RoadGator916

Jan 23, 2019
MinneSNOWta
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Thanks for the help. I looked at the Maxxis Bighorn LT tire but I didn't see the buckshots. I may have to look at either of them. They obviously make a good product for the ATV/UTV tire so these should be decent too.

Reactions: Nashby
Nashby

Nashby

Feb 4, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the help. I looked at the Maxxis Bighorn LT tire but I didn't see the buckshots. I may have to look at either of them. They obviously make a good product for the ATV/UTV tire so these should be decent too.

Yeah I really like the buckshots. Let us know what you decide on and definitely post pictures when they're all mounted up. We have all been in your shoes........... trying to decide which tires to get. I think you're going to love them! I just really want people to realize what a bargain it is using truck tires vs. ATV / UTV tires. It's crazy that they're cheaper and more importantly they last waaaaaay longer. Unless you do a lot of riding in deep mud I think it's a no-brainer decision. Then again, if we don't share our experience using truck tires most people will never try it because it's not the normal, just thinking outside the box I guess.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!