BOX1

P500 Foreman ECU to raise speed limiter?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
A P1K runs what.....60 mph? and the new Talon....close to 70 mph?...(just guessing). Do either of these units have something the P5 doesn't as far as equipment that make them safer at those speeds? Not trying to say a wreck at that speed wouldn't be bad, powersports of any kind has never been a safe venture. My snowmobile runs 108 mph(gps) with much less protection than a SxS. o_O

Reactions: SouthwestORV
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
A P1K runs what.....60 mph? and the new Talon....close to 70 mph?...(just guessing). Do either of these units have something the P5 doesn't as far as equipment that make them safer at those speeds? Not trying to say a wreck at that speed wouldn't be bad, powersports of any kind has never been a safe venture. My snowmobile runs 108 mph(gps) with much less protection than a SxS. o_O
Your snowmobile, like a four-wheeler or dirt bike, is designed to eject your body from any accident scene over 10mph. This safety feature is only designed into UTVs in case of a rollover. But in a UTV head-on-collision the ejection safety feature cannot be utilized. ;) BTW, I do wish my Pioneer 500 had a sixth gear. I think it could handle it just fine, because 35-40 mph cruise would be in the meaty part of the power band, down low to mid range.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
wider stance. softer suspension. more integrated roll cage.

Reactions: Montecresto
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
It's a rev limiter in a given gear position, example.... the 500 will rev to a higher engine RPM in 4th than in 5th. We've found a way around it by swapping 2 gears on the trans final drive. The P5 speed sensor is located on the back of the engine and reads the gear on the trans output shaft, not the rear diff. My P5 now does 50mph on 24" tires at the same RPM. See the link in below......
50 on the dash or 50 on gps?. the 700 is a speed limiter.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
wider stance. softer suspension. more integrated roll cage.
I have a lot of people ask me how fast our P1 will run, I don't know and don't need to know, I trail ride, I ride at a pretty good clip at times and would guess top speed is 15 MPH. Travel dirt roads between trails around 30 MPH.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
50 on the dash or 50 on gps?. the 700 is a speed limiter.
20180723 140423

This was from the 1st test run, I have seen 50 mph once or twice but that's as fast as I want to go in it. The purpose of the mod was never just to see how fast I could get it to go. It was about bringing trail rpms down, UP here the trails are abandoned logging roads, 2-tracks, etc. It's easy to run 25-35 mph all day long. With the OEM gearing that meant the P5 was running at it's limit most of the time. Now it can cruise along without sounding like it's about to blow. Top speed is just the easiest way to measure the difference with the new gears.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
View attachment 124020

This was from the 1st test run, I have seen 50 mph once or twice but that's as fast as I want to go in it. The purpose of the mod was never just to see how fast I could get it to go. It was about bringing trail rpms down, UP here the trails are abandoned logging roads, 2-tracks, etc. It's easy to run 25-35 mph all day long. With the OEM gearing that meant the P5 was running at it's limit most of the time. Now it can cruise along without sounding like it's about to blow. Top speed is just the easiest way to measure the difference with the new gears.
so you just tricked the speed\rev limiter on the bike by swapping gears then?whats your dash speed variance?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
so you just tricked the speed\rev limiter on the bike by swapping gears then?whats your dash speed variance?
The mod involved swapping 2 gears in the transmission and since the P5 speed sensor pick up reads off one of these gears a SpeedoDRD(electronic gizmo) was connected inline between the senor & harness to adjust speed sensor signal to the ECU/dash otherwise the ECU get's confused because the gear teeth count is not stock. The speedo still reads 42mph at the limiter in 5th gear but actual ground speed is 50 mph. Here's the write up I did when I finally figured out the mod.
P500 - A faster P5, it is possible.....gearing increase

I think we're up to 10 or so other members who have done the mod since I got it figured out.

Last edited:
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
The mod involved swapping 2 gears in the transmission and since the P5 speed sensor pick up reads off one of these gears a SpeedoDRD(electronic gizmo) was connected inline between the senor & harness to adjust speed sensor signal to the ECU/dash otherwise the ECU get's confused because the gear teeth count is not stock. The speedo still reads 42mph at the limiter in 5th gear but actual ground speed is 50 mph. Here's the write up I did when I finally figured out the mod.
P500 - A faster P5, it is possible.....gearing increase

I think we're up to 10 or so other members who have done the mod since I got it figured out.
nice wonder if that gizmo would work for the 700 with out swapping gears.

D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
nice wonder if that gizmo would work for the 700 with out swapping gears.

Good thought, but the question is are you hitting the speed limiter or the rev limiter? If the rev limiter I think you would be out of luck.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Good thought, but the question is are you hitting the speed limiter or the rev limiter? If the rev limiter I think you would be out of luck.
on 700 its speed limiter and rev limiter. but a few guys have done rincon gear swap so they could very well get to 60 mph no problem before rev limiter

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
on 700 its speed limiter and rev limiter. but a few guys have done rincon gear swap so they could very well get to 60 mph no problem before rev limiter

On the P5 it's not limiting on the speed sensor alone, it's a rev limit based on rpm & gear position but the ECU is monitoring speed. For example, in stock trim I would hit the limiter at 41-42mph dash indicated in 5th gear. As a test I put the SpeedoDRD on before I did the gear swap and tested a few different settings, I could "trick" the dash speedo into reading anywhere from 38 to 45 mph before I hit the limiter, if I went too far with the signal adjustment the ECU would go into limp mode and I would get the "--" on the dash and the trans wouldn't shift. The ECU is expecting a certain speed range (sensor signal) at a given rpm/gear. The original trans final drive gears were 1.875 to 1, the new set is 1.48 to 1 so the SpeedoDRD was used to make the speed sensor signal on the new gear match the signal of the old gear at a given rpm. The result is the final shaft output speed to the driveshafts is increased but the ECU sees it as matching the original programming.

I would imagine the P7 has similar programming. It may not be as simple as tricking the speed sensor alone.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
On the P5 it's not limiting on the speed sensor alone, it's a rev limit based on rpm & gear position but the ECU is monitoring speed. For example, in stock trim I would hit the limiter at 41-42mph dash indicated in 5th gear. As a test I put the SpeedoDRD on before I did the gear swap and tested a few different settings, I could "trick" the dash speedo into reading anywhere from 38 to 45 mph before I hit the limiter, if I went too far with the signal adjustment the ECU would go into limp mode and I would get the "--" on the dash and the trans wouldn't shift. The ECU is expecting a certain speed range (sensor signal) at a given rpm/gear. The original trans final drive gears were 1.875 to 1, the new set is 1.48 to 1 so the SpeedoDRD was used to make the speed sensor signal on the new gear match the signal of the old gear at a given rpm. The result is the final shaft output speed to the driveshafts is increased but the ECU sees it as matching the original programming.

I would imagine the P7 has similar programming. It may not be as simple as tricking the speed sensor alone.
p7 is similar but the with less sensors. rev and speed . but if you have rincon gear and adjust the speed lower with speedo thing then gears and rev will let you run 50-55 while dash showing 40-45

Reactions: 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
p7 is similar but the with less sensors. rev and speed . but if you have rincon gear and adjust the speed lower with speedo thing then gears and rev will let you run 50-55 while dash showing 40-45
Which gear set do you change? In the trans or the diffs? I had a 2003 Rincon "back in the day"...... I loved that quad. It sounds like a very similar mod :)

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Which gear set do you change? In the trans or the diffs? I had a 2003 Rincon "back in the day"...... I loved that quad. It sounds like a very similar mod :)
its the final drive on the motor.
yeah i had a 2013 and it had some grass between the muffler and heat sheild and burnt to the ground. . was about to put the brgr in it the next month lol. but i needed something for the family of 4 and id been reading about the big red for yrs and my dad owned a 2013. so in 2014 i got a pinny. and iv well over got my moneys worth.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!