TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I was in high school when this happened. I'd never seen anything like this, before, and to this day, I don't care to see it, again.

We had the big C-band satellite dish and I saw Murray Walker via the CBC, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation that televised the F1 world feed.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 2023 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

I was in high school when this happened. I'd never seen anything like this, before, and to this day, I don't care to see it, again.

We had the big C-band satellite dish and I saw Murray Walker via the CBC, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation that televised the F1 world feed.

Gruesome, it sure was a dangerous sport.

The Grojean accident at Bahrain was incredible.

Reactions: TxDoc
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Associated Press

Mario Andretti offended by F1 rejection. 'If they want blood, well, I’m ready,' says 1978 champ.​

Saw this article today about Mario Andretti and his application to F1 being rejected and he is pissed, and I believe has every right to be.

I met him once at a grand opening of a Firestone tire store. I was standing in line waiting for an autograph, and he spotted me wearing a "Mario Andretti Racing experience" T shirt. Quite a few years earlier I had paid to drive one of his rental Indy cars around Texas Motor Speedway for a few laps, and they threw in a free T shirt. (most expensive T shirt I have ever owned). Anyway, he pointed at me and said to everyone in line, "Now there's a man who knows how to dress".
Instead of just a quick autograph, he took a quick break and we talked for a few minutes.

Here is a link......

Mario Andretti offended by F1 rejection. 'If they want blood, well, I’m ready,' says 1978 champ

Last edited:
Reactions: TxDoc and Jerryg
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Members of U.S. Congress request explanation from Formula One over decision to reject Andretti's bid to join grid http://espn.com/app

I'm not a big fan of the U.S. Congress, but I am a big Andretti fan. I think they will be pissing in the wind, but if they want to give F1 some $hit, it's OK with me.:mad:

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
If we don't take our legislative bodies serious, why would F1? What a joke

Last edited:
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

My first thought was the wheel covers are not big enough. The amount of water that the tires move is massive.

Also, do the front covers dump the water in front of the rear tires?

And a third thought, the tires are designed to move the water away from the car not trap it underneath.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Jerry G, ALL very pertinent points! I wondered where the front tire water was shredded to, when I first saw this.

Reactions: Jerryg
advertisement
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I'll

Cool, love those cars. Brings me back.
I too loved the cars of that period. I was always a huge Lotus and Formula one fan when I was young. Jim Clark and Graham Hill were my hero's. My dream was to go racing someday in a Lotus.

I took this pic at the Indy 500 Museum many years ago.
Thumbnail

Finally got to race a couple of Lotus cars. First I had a Lotus Europa and raced in Sports Car Club of America sports racing (prototype) class.

Europa 1

Europa 2 scan

About to get lapped by a Mclaren Europa2
My Lotus Formula Ford.

I raced it in SCCA Formula Ford and IMSA Pro Ford.
Lotus 61M

Last edited:
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Silver_Alert, those are fantastic photos

I'm going to send them to a friend who has had season tickets to Indy for decades. He said those seats are handed down thru families.

He's almost down to turn one on the front straight in the second deck. With a telephoto lens, he has great photos into pit lane, up and down the front straight and around the first corner.

You're very lucky to have been able to witness the historical things and have something you can look at, remember and share with others.

I appreciate the time and effort to post these memories.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Silver_Alert, those are fantastic photos

I'm going to send them to a friend who has had season tickets to Indy for decades. He said those seats are handed down thru families.

He's almost down to turn one on the front straight in the second deck. With a telephoto lens, he has great photos into pit lane, up and down the front straight and around the first corner.

You're very lucky to have been able to witness the historical things and have something you can look at, remember and share with others.

I appreciate the time and effort to post these memories.

Thanks for the compliment(s). Since your friend is in to old race cars, I found another pic of the Europa lined up to go out for practice. There is a Datsun 2000 Roadster next to me, followed by a Lotus 7, and a Porsche.
Europa 4

And speaking of old racecars, here is another of mine, back when Nissans were Datsuns. My Datsun 510.
Datsun 510

510 ouch

Some race days are better than others:rolleyes:

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you, again. I'm sharing with my friends I went to high school with, we all stay and many live where we went to high school. Quite a few Datsun b210's running around in the mid to late 70's. And, some Dodge Darts, Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454's, Firebird's, Pontiac Trans AM's, Plymouth Cuda's, and Oldsmobile 442's with wrapped headers and bigger carbs.

One of the guys in our group had a brother with a car and on the driver's door was "The Judge". If you thought you had the best car, he'd let you find out. His brother could tune and fix must anything, even inside a transmission.

Another boy, had a father who was a big racer from years back. He would work and and help everyone with all aspects of their cars. His son had a Plymouth Barracuda and he was racing, not with us, one night and hit a rise of about 6-8 feet at a railroad track crossing, the car went airborne and nose dived into the pavement and flipped and bounced. He missed all of summer baseball that year.

We had no cell phones. We used CB's. We'd get eight cars. Get lined up on an Interstate on ramp. All get on together, the four in the back would spread out from shoulder to shoulder and she l slow down to about 40, the two in front would run ahead with radar detectors and everyone on the same CB channel. The remaining two were in front of the blockers.

Then once of the cars ahead by a mile or so would say get ready, pause and then go.

We had another place on highway 8 North that was about 24 miles straight, turn right at Foreman, AR on highway 32 and I believe it is 18 miles, IIRC. But, that road was a narrow, two lane. No run off, like highway 8 with fields. Within feet of the road's edge were barbed wire fences, trees, mailboxes, houses. It was like the Isle of Mann TT. It was very dangerous. But, no cops, or not many. Especially after midnight. We'd race cars and motorcycles up and over and then talk about it, and go back.

No one ever got killed, surely by the Grace of God, and guardian angels. But, right before you got to the end at Ashdown, AR, there is a very exaggerated S-turn that after you have to slow to 30 or so and have a 1/4 mile and then the other part of the turn going back 180 degrees. A few people, in the wet, didn't slow and make that turn. But, went into the ditch and were pulled out by friends.

We had other places that ran parallel to the interstate and not much traffic or cops as backups.

We were as careful as possible and didn't race with people we didn't know or trust. We knew it was potentially very dangerous. Particularly, on motorcycles, where you could reach over and touch each other.

We never ran from the police, if caught. Or they happened upon us getting ready to do something. Most of them knew us from playing sports and the newspaper and/or our parents. We didn't drink, smoke or do drugs. I had a Rupp mini bike at 4 and it never stopped. My parents were married for 74 years and my mother said that thing was the only thing that nearly caused a divorce. I always had a helmet, but open face as there were no chin bars then. Had the Moon Eyes stickers on the side

After a very late night, the next day, I was working on something with my father. He never looked at me, be just said... The Only people out that late at night are cops and criminals..... Then he looked right at me and asked if I had a badge?

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!