Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lady01: The world's choking on sycophants. I appreciate the lone wolf opinion expressed heads up.
I'mma big fan of good enough. From advice given to me: Better is the mortal enemy of good enough.
I really enjoy the this forum even those that disagree with me. So, let me state that I do have Fox QS3 installed. I had the 3" bracket lift and removed them for the FOx Shocks install. At $1500 or so, again they are a nice ride but there are a lot of other things I would have used the money for than simply a better ride... nice, yes, worth the cost? Not for me!

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really enjoy the this forum even those that disagree with me. So, let me state that I do have Fox QS3 installed. I had the 3" bracket lift and removed them for the FOx Shocks install. At $1500 or so, again they are a nice ride but there are a lot of other things I would have used the money for than simply a better ride... nice, yes, worth the cost? Not for me!
I would argue that most everyone that is upgrading their shocks, are starting with the base model shocks like myself and not a model that already has the Fox shocks…

The difference between the base shocks and the foxs are night and day. My family was so much happier afterwards on the trails.

I agree that going from the Qs3 to another is quite a small step for a lot of coin.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Low profile on 12" rim works best for deep mud.
Yep! Mah new set:

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just in case you might consider a different brand. Here is a recent rough country post.

Reactions: ChadD
Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Would Fox shocks give me a little more weight carrying capacity? Not sure how much that load weighs but the rear end really squats down with it.

Media 1687606557903 Jun 23 2023 3 52 PM

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If you regularly carry more than your springs are rated for, they're gonna be compressed with little/no room to travel under that load.

You can add preload with the Fox's and similar coilovers, but that will only raise the machine and reduce the shock travel. So the "help" is marginal, but at a cost when unloaded.

I'm no suspension expert like @Smitty335, but I'd put stiffer springs rated for more weight if you go with Fox's and dump the progressive rate springs they come with. You'll also get the added benefit of being able to adjust preload to raise it up some.

I swapped out the springs on my Fox's before I installed them. Used a 250# linear rate spring on the front and 300# on the rear. Depending upon how much weight you will regularly carry, that may require different spring rates. Just keep in mind the stiffer you go, the stiffer the ride will be when empty.

As a comparable, one of the few differences between an F250 (3/4 ton) and an F350 (1 ton) pickup is an added leaf in the rear. This allows it to carry more weight (before sagging) but the unloaded ride is more harsh.

Again, I'm no expert, so let some others chime in here.

Last edited:
Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you regularly carry more than your springs are rated for, they're gonna be compressed with little/no room to travel under that load.

You can add preload with the Fox's and similar coilovers, but that will only raise the machine and reduce the shock travel. So the "help" is marginal, but at a cost when unloaded.

I'm no suspension expert like @Smitty335, but I'd put stiffer springs rated for more weight if you go with Fox's and dump the progressive rate springs they come with. You'll also get the added benefit of being able to adjust preload to raise it up some.

I swapped out the springs on my Fox's before I installed them. Used a 250# linear rate spring on the front and 300# on the rear. Depending upon how much weight you will regularly carry, that may require different spring rates. Just keep in mind the stiffer you go, the stiffer the ride will be when empty.

As a comparable, one of the few differences between an F250 (3/4 ton) and an F350 (1 ton) pickup is an added leaf in the rear. This allows it to carry more weight (before sagging) but the unloaded ride is more harsh.

Again, I'm no expert, so let some others chime in here.
That's a good answer! There is always a tradeoff on making changes and making a change to be able to carry more load weight will make a much harsher ride when unloaded. We use this machine for multipurpose activities so hate to wreck it for half of the times we use it just to trail ride.. maybe I need to just get a separate wood hauler? Lol!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's a good answer! There is always a tradeoff on making changes and making a change to be able to carry more load weight will make a much harsher ride when unloaded. We use this machine for multipurpose activities so hate to wreck it for half of the times we use it just to trail ride.. maybe I need to just get a separate wood hauler? Lol!
Trailer?

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
How much weight are you putting back there? My 2021 P1K5 Dee-lux is rated for 1,000# cargo capacity (stock suspension). I've hauled a lot of wood in my time (nohomo), and that doesn't look like anywhere near half a ton.

If you do a trailer, your towing capacity is 2,000#.

Reactions: Smitty335
Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How much weight are you putting back there? My 2021 P1K5 Dee-lux is rated for 1,000# cargo capacity (stock suspension). I've hauled a lot of wood in my time (nohomo), and that doesn't look like anywhere near half a ton.

If you do a trailer, your towing capacity is 2,000#.
This load is probably a little closer to 1000 lbs.. green fresh cut maple.. I have used a trailer at times but it makes it a little more difficult to get it out of the woods where I go.

Screenshot 2023 06 25 085948

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!