Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
This load is probably a little closer to 1000 lbs.. green fresh cut maple.. I have used a trailer at times but it makes it a little more difficult to get it out of the woods where I go.

View attachment 393329
As long as you're not bottoming out and damaging anything, I wouldn't upgrade for this.

BUT ... I would (and did) consider upgrading (including stiffer springs) for the benefits you will enjoy both on the trail AND when working your machine hard like this.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
As long as you're not bottoming out and damaging anything, I wouldn't upgrade for this.

BUT ... I would (and did) consider upgrading (including stiffer springs) for the benefits you will enjoy both on the trail AND when working your machine hard like this.
Trailer!

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would Fox shocks give me a little more weight carrying capacity? Not sure how much that load weighs but the rear end really squats down with it.

View attachment 393324
The fox shocks and OE shocks come with what is known as a dual rate coil. If you swap the coils for single rate coils it will help with the sag and give you better ride quality. You cannot swap coils on OE shocks. You can swap shocks on the fox shocks. The combination @Scoop mentioned is used regularly among members. If you haul heavy loads continuously/more often you may benefit from 325lb or 350lb rear coils. If it is occasionally used for heavy loads the 300lb should be good to go.

If you look at your OE or stock fox shock you will see the top of the coil is shaped differently. This is the dual rate. Basically the top of the coil is softer than the bottom. It is designed to compress/sag the softer part of the top of the coil which basically engages the heavier bottom section of the coil. This actually creates a ton of sag for many people. My OE shocks on my 1000-5 sitting static with my vehicle mods basically fully compressed the top of my shock. My single rate coils on my fox shocks do great.

Here is a photo of my original OE shocks
Machine sitting still, no persons in it, no weight in the bed. This is just machine, all of my roof top gear/equipment, sound system, and aux battery. I do have a bracket lift at this time that may have contributed to more shock load. It is a good example of what you will notice using dual rate coils.

In my opinion, dual rate coils are useless unless you know exactly the correct rate needed for your rally racer.

The first photo is the rear. The second photo is the front.

You can see the top portion of these coils are compressed. That is the dual rate of the coil. The top is "softer", or lower rate, or lower pound rating, (however you want to look at it)
So the top being fully compressed makes the dual portion of my coils worthless. There is no travel in the soft portion of the coil. This reduces overall travel of the shock because it is partially compressed. This leaves me forced to use the heavier, harder, higher rated portion of the coil making my ride quality harsh.
IMG20220802175658
IMG20220802175650

I don't have a picture of it but, I have 300lb rear coils on my machine. I had approximately 350-400lbs of brake rotors in my bed the other day while I was attempting to re-adjust the rear pre load on my fox shocks. I did take measurements and I had a little less than an inch of coil sag while loaded.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Excellent post, @Robobrainiac

Single rate = linear
Dual or increasing rate = progressive

This link gives a good description of each, as well as what is best for your application:

Note: @Smitty335 may or may not consider reading this "research". :D Sorry, couldn't help myself, Smit! Still love ya (nohomo)!

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is a comparison with my fox shock while the machine is static. I went outside and took these pictures for this post. Technically I have more weight now with my rear door storage mod. The bracket lift is removed.

The coils here are single rate coils. You can see they distribute load evenly. For my style of riding (most pioneer users) this will improve my ride quality. The evenly distributed coil allows more shock travel than the previous coil, and gives me a linear "feel".

First photo is the rear, second photo is the front.

20230625 094503 20230625 094511

Last edited:
Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here is a comparison with my fox shock while the machine is static. I went outside and took these pictures for this post. Technically I have more weight now with my rear door storage mod. The bracket lift is removed.
I guess no matter what I decide to do I now know more about shock technology than I ever did before.. thanks for the help guys!

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess no matter what I decide to do I now know more about shock technology than I ever did before.. thanks for the help guys!
Some more information:

Fox shock factory coil rate on a 1000-5

Front: top portion: 252lbs - bottom portion: 350lbs

Rear: top portion 187lbs - bottom portion: 350lbs

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That's a good answer! There is always a tradeoff on making changes and making a change to be able to carry more load weight will make a much harsher ride when unloaded. We use this machine for multipurpose activities so hate to wreck it for half of the times we use it just to trail ride.. maybe I need to just get a separate wood hauler? Lol!
I run my suspension stiff for the load on the pioneer. As i change the load i just add a bigger cooler to keep the thing from riding like a brick. I bought the pioneer because i like to carry a bunch of s*** i might need. why not use that payload capacity?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What am I missing? I even went to my laptop to see, I signed in and everything. I updated the shipping again and still no price change.

View attachment 393463
IDK. I've never signed in, on anything other than my phone. I would empty cart, sign out, sign back in, add shocks back to my cart and then go to view shopping cart. It worth a shot. If it doesn't work, I would call and order over the phone.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What am I missing? I even went to my laptop to see, I signed in and everything. I updated the shipping again and still no price change.

View attachment 393463
Call them. They actually give a forum discount that puts it at the $1460 range. They are really easy to work with.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Excellent post, @Robobrainiac

Single rate = linear
Dual or increasing rate = progressive

This link gives a good description of each, as well as what is best for your application:

Note: @Smitty335 may or may not consider reading this "research". :D Sorry, couldn't help myself, Smit! Still love ya (nohomo)!
Classic picture of coil bind, no research needed, I know a little about this stuff. Any of y'all been into a shock and restacked the shim washers? Pretty cool how shocks work, then you have to mess with the oil weights and volume of oil. And Nitrogen pressure. A lot to it.

Last edited:
C

chucksmith0706

Jul 22, 2020
Louisiana
I finally got it, created a new account and it worked. I called them they have 10 of each for the 1000-5. They had the best price also. Found another place they were 1500. That was the closest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!