Frame Stiffener/Gusset and Full Skid Plate

TTaylor

TTaylor

Oct 26, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
I just bought my Talon 1000r last month and have 32" tires on it. I have been reading up on doing such and found several articles stating that the tire size plus everything else could cause the frame to bend or become weak. I found that SuperATV sells a "Frame Stiffener/Gusset" which is supposed to do what it is titled... stiffen the frame :) However, I am thinking of getting a 1/2" full skid plate (maybe kombustion that wraps up the side) and am wondering if I need the frame stiffener if I get the full frame skid plate. Any thoughts? Suggestions are welcomed! Thanks!

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just bought my Talon 1000r last month and have 32" tires on it. I have been reading up on doing such and found several articles stating that the tire size plus everything else could cause the frame to bend or become weak. I found that SuperATV sells a "Frame Stiffener/Gusset" which is supposed to do what it is titled... stiffen the frame :) However, I am thinking of getting a 1/2" full skid plate (maybe kombustion that wraps up the side) and am wondering if I need the frame stiffener if I get the full frame skid plate. Any thoughts? Suggestions are welcomed! Thanks!
The frame stiffener that SATV sells isn't really a "Frame Stiffener" as much as it is an A-Arm mounting point reinforcement. It only mounts to the very front of the frame between the A-Arms and bolsters up the (known) weak A-Arm mounting points.

It does nothing to address the front upper frame weakness that the Talon has but it isn't as much of a concern as the A-Arm mounts. The upper front frame takes a pretty bad hit to bend, they A-Arm mounts fold pretty easy. For $160, I think it is a decent item. I have seen one installed and it provides some needed support to those A-Arm mounts.

That said, I have been running 30" fairly heavy tires and I don't baby my machine one it. No bent frame parts for me so far in 4000 miles and that includes some pretty hard hits that I thought for sure would bend something but never have.

Behind the front clip, the Talon frame seems pretty stout and I have not seen one bent from driving or a front end collision (yet). I saw postings of a bent frame but that machine was wrecked BAD and nothing would have stopped the damage.

I flipped my machine 1.5 times bounced on the front, top, rear and all the way around again and landed on the roof and did not bent the frame at all except for the very rear bent down about 1/4 inch where the roll cage mounts (it is only 1" tubing there) and it bent back easily and a new cage mounted right up. Other than the A-Arm mounts, the Talon is one tough machine in my opinion.

TTaylor

TTaylor

Oct 26, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Thanks for the information.... The video is awesome! No skid plate either???

208Talon

208Talon

Jul 8, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I run a SSS off road skid plate. It is pretty awesome. It is far better then stock and has less holes to let dust come in. I would look them up. Bad side is UHMW is not cheap right now :(

Reactions: TTaylor
TTaylor

TTaylor

Oct 26, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Cool… Thanks! I think I am going to look into getting the skid plate though…😬

208Talon

208Talon

Jul 8, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
to be honest its %100 worth it. It is probably a better idea then some of the other things you can buy if you are in rough terrain with big rocks. If you are in the dunes or something then not worth it. It is 1/2 inch thick and takes one hell of a beating and is pretty resilient. I wish I would have put mine on sooner. I had some bent tabs and stuff I had to deal with.

TTaylor

TTaylor

Oct 26, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Only thing I can find from SSS is 3/8". Is that thick enough?

208Talon

208Talon

Jul 8, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
This is just my opinion and 2 cents on a side note. I would for sure go thru sssoffroad, 2 reasons. There was an issue with my skid plate that happened while they were making it. So they contacted me right away and told me and then discounted it. The other is their customer service and packing was first class! It seems allot of companies you contact these days really just do not care.

TTaylor

TTaylor

Oct 26, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
I was wondering if the 1/2" would be overkill, but then again... is there such a thing as overkill when it comes to protecting your machine??? :)
I am not sure of the weight difference between 3/8" and 1/2" or if it matters....
Thanks 208Talon for helping me out on this!!

208Talon

208Talon

Jul 8, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I was wondering if the 1/2" would be overkill, but then again... is there such a thing as overkill when it comes to protecting your machine??? :)
I am not sure of the weight difference between 3/8" and 1/2" or if it matters....
Thanks 208Talon for helping me out on this!!
no problem. ya the weight difference would not be much. After seeing what uhmw can withstand abuse wise I am not sure why you would need any thicker.

TTaylor

TTaylor

Oct 26, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
The frame stiffener that SATV sells isn't really a "Frame Stiffener" as much as it is an A-Arm mounting point reinforcement. It only mounts to the very front of the frame between the A-Arms and bolsters up the (known) weak A-Arm mounting points.

It does nothing to address the front upper frame weakness that the Talon has but it isn't as much of a concern as the A-Arm mounts. The upper front frame takes a pretty bad hit to bend, they A-Arm mounts fold pretty easy. For $160, I think it is a decent item. I have seen one installed and it provides some needed support to those A-Arm mounts.

That said, I have been running 30" fairly heavy tires and I don't baby my machine one it. No bent frame parts for me so far in 4000 miles and that includes some pretty hard hits that I thought for sure would bend something but never have.

Behind the front clip, the Talon frame seems pretty stout and I have not seen one bent from driving or a front end collision (yet). I saw postings of a bent frame but that machine was wrecked BAD and nothing would have stopped the damage.

I flipped my machine 1.5 times bounced on the front, top, rear and all the way around again and landed on the roof and did not bent the frame at all except for the very rear bent down about 1/4 inch where the roll cage mounts (it is only 1" tubing there) and it bent back easily and a new cage mounted right up. Other than the A-Arm mounts, the Talon is one tough machine in my opinion.
Which skid plate do you use?

TTaylor

TTaylor

Oct 26, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Factory UTV.

I like the way it curves up the front and protects the diff and winch. None of the others do that...

Reactions: Udaman and TTaylor
208Talon

208Talon

Jul 8, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Factory UTV.

I like the way it curves up the front and protects the diff and winch. None of the others do that...

View attachment 288810
I wouldn't say none....

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I wouldn't say none....

You might want to look a little closer. The Factory UTV skid attaches to the front bumper and covers another ~7" forward than the rest, including SSS. I was not quite right, they all protect the diff but the Factory UTV protects the bumper and winch too. Reason I went with the Factory UTV is because I bent my first bumper right against my winch so I wanted that protected too.

Every one else (including SSS) stops where the bumper starts (indicated by the red lines below) but Factory UTV goes farther forward and protects the bumper and winch...

Reactions: Moab_Marty
208Talon

208Talon

Jul 8, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
You might want to look a little closer. The Factory UTV skid attaches to the front bumper and covers another ~7" forward than the rest, including SSS. I was not quite right, they all protect the diff but the Factory UTV protects the bumper and winch too. Reason I went with the Factory UTV is because I bent my first bumper right against my winch so I wanted that protected too.

Every one else (including SSS) stops where the bumper starts (indicated by the red lines below) but Factory UTV goes farther forward and protects the bumper and winch...

View attachment 288814

View attachment 288816
Yes I see what you are saying. I guess all comes down to if you are keeping the factory bumper and winch where it is.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!