Switch plate vs aux beam

Domin131

Domin131

Mar 26, 2022
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Planning on doing some auxiliary electrical mods to the Talon but I'm at a crossroads. I have a SE X4 so it came with the factory switch plate kit and 5 possible spots for switches from factory. I think 5 might not be enough for future upgrades (dome lights, i4wd bypass, compressor, lights etc) and so I'm looking at ditching the factory setup and running a 8 gang aux beam switch panel. It also seems more cost effective after factoring in pigtails, back-lit rocker switches etc, while
leaving me more room to expand. What are the thoughts on this? And since electrical is a weak point of mine I'd like to know if the aux beam can be made to plug into the factory harness or does it have to be run back to the battery as if you were installing it on a talon that wasn't prepped already for the factory switch panel.

My bad if this has been covered already or there is a write up floating around. Couldn't find what I needed searching.

Reactions: Smitty335
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd go Aux Beam style if I were to do it over again, for sure.
Simplifies wiring, neat and organized.
20220917 175120

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Do you plan to go with a Dual battery?

Aux beam is by far much easier. however, its customization options are limited for the more advanced installer. The 80 is just a on/off box, the 800 adds more functions such as strobe and momentary along with RGB panel color choice.

If you want simple, you can't beat a system like this. There are several on the market similar.

For the Talon, you just can use the + and - that is already run upfront for the battery.
After that, its just hooking the trigger wire to the blue connector, and its almost installed.
AuxBeam includes an 80a main fuse, I would install that, so that's 1 extra step but its easy.

I installed mine near the steering column. My next machine will be right under the hood so I can access it without tools.

J

JumptChaneAZ

First question, how many amps is the output of the oem Talon stator? Searched high and low and was never able to find the answer. My Google Fu must be weak.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
First question, how many amps is the output of the oem Talon stator? Searched high and low and was never able to find the answer. My Google Fu must be weak.
Talon 1000 = .7kw = 58 amps @5000rpm
Pioneer 1000 = .6kw = 50 amps @5000rpm
Pioneer 700 = .45kw = 37 amps @5000rpm
Pioneer 500 = ??

J

JumptChaneAZ

Talon 1000 = .7kw = 58 amps @5000rpm
Pioneer 1000 = .6kw = 50 amps @5000rpm
Pioneer 700 = .45kw = 37 amps @5000rpm
Pioneer 500 = ??
Excellent. Thanks. I had the 58 in my head from my aux battery install quest, but couldn't remember where I got it and couldn't confirm it. Why did I come in here again?

Domin131

Domin131

Mar 26, 2022
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Do you plan to go with a Dual battery?

Aux beam is by far much easier. however, its customization options are limited for the more advanced installer. The 80 is just a on/off box, the 800 adds more functions such as strobe and momentary along with RGB panel color choice.

If you want simple, you can't beat a system like this. There are several on the market similar.

For the Talon, you just can use the + and - that is already run upfront for the battery.
After that, its just hooking the trigger wire to the blue connector, and its almost installed.
AuxBeam includes an 80a main fuse, I would install that, so that's 1 extra step but its easy.

I installed mine near the steering column. My next machine will be right under the hood so I can access it without tools.

Dual battery wouldn't be an issue if I had to do it. Looks simple and fairly inexpensive. And I'd be going with the simpler 80 switch panel. I have no need to have all the light options the 800 has.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My bad if this has been covered already or there is a write up floating around. Couldn't find what I needed searching.
If u want a challenge and something to call your own and want to learn a new volger language, then do a switch plate. If u want super easy kinda plug and play, get the Aux beam.

I have the Switch plate do it yourself i made in My Pioneer. Its unique and something I did myself and can call my own. Its was early days in the forum sort of speak. Changed it multiple times and still doing changes today. Would I do it again? Tuff question. 50/50 cuz I hate electrical circuitry even tho, I do alot of that $hit at my job.

I did the Auxbeam in my Talon and loved the easyness and the quickness to set it up. just hate the key on only power up with it. Would I do that one again? You bet your ass!! ;)

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Dual battery wouldn't be an issue if I had to do it. Looks simple and fairly inexpensive. And I'd be going with the simpler 80 switch panel. I have no need to have all the light options the 800 has.
If your doing any accessories, do the second battery and put them all on it. You wont regret you did in the long run. The price to do that is a small price to pay compaired to the issues you may incur latter having them all on the main

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If your doing any accessories, do the second battery and put them all on it. You wont regret you did in the long run. The price to do that is a small price to pay compaired to the issues you may incur latter having them all on the main
If he changes his mind and wants the 2nd battery later on, he'll wish he had done it BEFORE he wired all the other crap up. :)

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
You’ve already mentioned that 5 additional circuits might not be enough, that alone suggests that you might as well install the second battery first. If a winch is in your future, you definitely want that pulling off an aux battery, not your starting battery. I was put off by the expense of the AuxBeam but looking back at how much I spent on aftermarket items, it would have been a drop in the bucket. :oops:

I can’t answer the question of whether you can power the AuxBeam from up front or have to run back to the battery other than - the battery is already extended to the front to power a winch. You have to connect the leads at the battery though, they’re tied back, not connected.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
If u want a challenge and something to call your own and want to learn a new volger language, then do a switch plate. If u want super easy kinda plug and play, get the Aux beam.
This is by far the best answer to the question of Switch Panel VS AuxBeam

Domin131

Domin131

Mar 26, 2022
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I'll be going with a auxbeam style switch. Crossroads 3D makes a really slick flush mount plate for the auxbeam/switch pros that I'll be running in place of the factory switchplate. So that's settled

I already have the factory warn winch on the talon so that's that. I guess I'll plan on doing the dual battery setup right off the bat to save a bunch of cursing in the future. Since I'm adding that to my list which dual battery setup do I go with? Looks like there are 2 in the club store and reading about them the PEP trueam sounds better? Now do I go lithium battery or lead?

Thanks for all the input fellas

Domin131

Domin131

Mar 26, 2022
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Aux beam with Trey Brock's 3D printed mount. It sits right in front of the shifter out of the way and easy to use. Also keeps your cubby open to store your snacks.😉

View attachment 376305

That one is cool but I'm going to run the crossroads 3D plate. Mounts right underneath the cluster where the factory switches go. Better view of the switches too I'd think being up higher.

Screenshot 20230301 080047 Chrome

Reactions: Smittyp
Kadert21

Kadert21

Jul 29, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
They are actually pretty easy to see and if you use this one you could also run his tablet mount up top. Its your rig you do you. Just showing options.

20230102 210343

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!