DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
there has been a few do the whole thing. the locker on the 700 bolts tot he side of the 500 diff. and im not sure about the speed thing on the rear diff. i know the guy made a post a while back about drilling out and putting the speed sensor i just cant remember. where. my guess is a speeddrd was needed to correct speed to get it to shift right. the guy never got back to me on it. but hes on portals and diffs. so the speed would be way off to begin with. i know he had the diff being drilled but that was about the only picture
i wish someone would do a write up. im planning on it once i get further ahead. if anything ill have a cheap replacement diff for a 500 for sale afterwards. but i think i was looking at 2200 for both full diffs. which is the route id try and also see if the internals could be swapped while i was at it. even if it does cost and extra bearing. id like for the information to be out there.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
I know I keep hearing about people who've done it...but when I ask, crickets. If you could get them on here, I'd like to hear about.

I know the front diff extension will almost certainly bolt on the 500 diff. I guess I was thinking from the standpoint of simply ordering a ring and pinion, or how much hassle would be involved in bolting it on.
Personally, on the rear, I'd just swap the ring and pinion rather than have the hassle of drilling a perfectly smooth hole while trying to keep shavings out.
But...the speed sensor is a big deal. You know what happens to a 700 when it loses that signal? Maybe it uses the actual teeth... But then again, with the ring gear on the 500 be slightly larger? Would that cause an issue?

i think the shift points would be off a little bit but it would put you at 34mph vs 43 on stock tires
give or take a mph. so i guess you would need a speed drd to correct . but im not totally sure cause im not sure if the 14 has a limp mode. so i guess id need someone else afterwards to do it . im thinking you could get a true speed reading but the rev limiter would hit in 3rd gear. cause at the lower speeds i dont think youd be able to romp on it but then again im not sure how the shift points are aligned is it off speed vs rpm or only speed and throttle input. cause i know i can romp on mine and itll shift out to 2nd at like 15 or 18 give or take or ease on it and shift around 8-10 mph. thats enough to make me think that if the 500 diffs did throw it off i still think the auto would shift right but you probably dont want to hold it to thw floor till its in 3rd gear. there is alot to think about in it. but hopefully by the end of this yr ill have all the answers for it.

I'm actually not as worried about a 2014 so much as the newer models. I read somewhere that the 2015 up used different parameters for shifting... Like speed, whereas the 2014 was simply RPM versus throttle. Don't know if that's true, but that's one of the many answers I'd like to have. As you said, a speedo healer type device could fix it anyway.

I don't know if this really means much to me anymore. If you'd ask me this in 2014, I would have been like stink on s***. Now I'm 3,000 ft lower generally speaking, and I don't really need it enough to do it. But it'd be nice to know it's an option.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I know I keep hearing about people who've done it...but when I ask, crickets. If you could get them on here, I'd like to hear about.

I know the front diff extension will almost certainly bolt on the 500 diff. I guess I was thinking from the standpoint of simply ordering a ring and pinion, or how much hassle would be involved in bolting it on.
Personally, on the rear, I'd just swap the ring and pinion rather than have the hassle of drilling a perfectly smooth hole while trying to keep shavings out.
But...the speed sensor is a big deal. You know what happens to a 700 when it loses that signal? Maybe it uses the actual teeth... But then again, with the ring gear on the 500 be slightly larger? Would that cause an issue?

I'm actually not as worried about a 2014 so much as the newer models. I read somewhere that the 2015 up used different parameters for shifting... Like speed, whereas the 2014 was simply RPM versus throttle. Don't know if that's true, but that's one of the many answers I'd like to have. As you said, a speedo healer type device could fix it anyway.

I don't know if this really means much to me anymore. If you'd ask me this in 2014, I would have been like stink on s***. Now I'm 3,000 ft lower generally speaking, and I don't really need it enough to do it. But it'd be nice to know it's an option.
yeah id have to find the post. he only showed where he did the rear and drilled the hole. but it was only a few pics and no videos or answers afterwards. but there was 1 that swears by it. but he doesnt have any videos of the install. . i know the splines on the axles are the same and the input splines are as well. ill definitely document the whole thing and make a post when i do mine. hopefully after summer time.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
yeah id have to find the post. he only showed where he did the rear and drilled the hole. but it was only a few pics and no videos or answers afterwards. but there was 1 that swears by it. but he doesnt have any videos of the install. . i know the splines on the axles are the same and the input splines are as well. ill definitely document the whole thing and make a post when i do mine. hopefully after summer time.

I'm actually very confident they can be swapped. It's just speed o thing, but hopefully the guy said he drilled a hole wasn't b*********** you.

It's funny how secretive 700 people are. There is a video on Facebook a few months back of a guy dynoing a blue two-seat deluxe talking about getting more power. It was on a windrock riders page. Like four or five people ask about results...Not a peep from him. Same thing about power commanders or power visions. You'd never know any 700 has one until it gets put up for sale.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm actually very confident they can be swapped. It's just speed o thing, but hopefully the guy said he drilled a hole wasn't b*********** you.

It's funny how secretive 700 people are. There is a video on Facebook a few months back of a guy dynoing a blue two-seat deluxe talking about getting more power. It was on a windrock riders page. Like four or five people ask about results...Not a peep from him. Same thing about power commanders or power visions. You'd never know any 700 has one until it gets put up for sale.
nah he had the hole drilled on the pictures and showed the rearend. . i kinda miss the days where we was exploring what could and couldnt be done to these back 7 yrs ago
. now its like so many options but no info on them

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
nah he had the hole drilled on the pictures and showed the rearend. . i kinda miss the days where we was exploring what could and couldnt be done to these back 7 yrs ago
. now its like so many options but no info on them

Hard to believe it's been that long. How time flies...

But you're right...there's like 4 different hard tops now...LOL! (For us 2 seaters. You 4 seat guys are still SOL!)

• Haha
Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!