P700 Front axle replacement

R

Rsfdmf

Feb 7, 2019
PERRY Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
Does anyone know the torque specification for the castle nut on the front axle? I ripped a boot on one of the joints so I decided to upgrade the axles while I had everything apart. Any help, tips, guidance will be greatly appreciated.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Does anyone know the torque specification for the castle nut on the front axle? I ripped a boot on one of the joints so I decided to upgrade the axles while I had everything apart. Any help, tips, guidance will be greatly appreciated.
I get a kick out of questions like yours, start at the basics, are the threads clean, even brand new, chase the threads with a nut, if it's rough apply some anti-seize and chase the threads until the nut will moves smoothly the entire length, now your are ready for reassembly. Dirty or damaged threads will give you a false reading on a torque wrench and spindles with cotter pins is a whole other story. 14 MM and lower I use a 3/8 inch ratchet and just snug, 15 MM and above, 1/2 inch ratchet and just snug, but I've done a lot of wrenching. Just use your head, small bolts less, bigger more. And you can always use a very small dab of Blue Loctite.

H

HondaTech

Late to the party.

When removing a front axle you only need to remove the shock bolt, lower a-arm mount bolts and hub nut.

To make it easier, I remove the shock completely. But everything else can stay attached.

R

Rsfdmf

Feb 7, 2019
PERRY Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for all the help. I am a retired millwright so working with my hands is nothing new. I just wanted to make sure that I used the correct torque specs. :)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!