P500 Front pinion seal oil leak

H

hponda

Sep 15, 2015
Purchase a hp500 in august 2015 put 200miles on it and noticed front pinion seal leaking. Called dealer they told me to keep riding it. drove it another 100 miles and took it to a dealer for repair. Took the 500 out and put another 200 miles the pinion seal still leaks. I do not want to have my machine tore down again, have no idea what to do now. Has anyone had a similar problem. Also the rear end sounds like it has a handful of gravel in it, makes a gear grinding sound that drives me crazy.
I love the machine its fun to drive.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I figured the front pinion would just be full of grease, never looked at mine closely is it a rubber boot or a flush seal that is leaking? Regarding the rear differential noise, does it have the proper oil level according to your owners manual, have you checked that?

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
strange about the pinion seal... I'll keep an eye on mine.

Mine makes a loud whining noise from the rear. It's especially noticeable when going down the road in 4th or 5th gear. I have read several posts about it, so I assume it's normal unless yours is something different. Some have reported that it quiets down after a few hundred miles... I changed my differential oil to Amsoil synthetic but that didn't seem to make a noticeable change in the noise level.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Well I cleaned my P500 yesterday. When for a ride today, just roads. Noticed fresh gear oil on top of the skid, right behind front diff. Looks like I got the leak. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

Sledge

Well I cleaned my P500 yesterday. When for a ride today, just roads. Noticed fresh gear oil on top of the skid, right behind front diff. Looks like I got the leak. :(

Bummer. I can't stand a leak. Drives me crazy.

Warranty, right? (If you trust your dealer, that is.):( indeed.

Joe

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Bummer. I can't stand a leak. Drives me crazy.

Warranty, right? (If you trust your dealer, that is.):( indeed.

Joe
Yeah I'll be calling them tomorrow. I think their service department is okay. I talked to a couple of their guys. One was somewhat knowledgable. I still don't feel great about taking it there. But I have to get it fixed. Didn't pay all this money for a new machine to put up with a leak.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah I'll be calling them tomorrow. I think their service department is okay. I talked to a couple of their guys. One was somewhat knowledgable. I still don't feel great about taking it there. But I have to get it fixed. Didn't pay all this money for a new machine to put up with a leak.
Good luck buddy!!!

Reactions: Sledge and ehart814
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Hope they don't let some kid...
who still s***ing green....
work on it.
good luck

Reactions: Sledge
S

Sledge

Hope they don't let some kid...
who still s***ing green....
work on it.
good luck
They always send my stuff to THAT kid.

Dealer service departments scare me to death.

Heck, if I wanted a clueless rookie to work on it, I'd do it myself.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yeah I hate the thought of that, but that's the way it goes. At least I know they have worked on P500's before. I talked to them a couple times about it. I'll update throughout this process. Not looking forward to being without my machine for a few days.

advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah I hate the thought of that, but that's the way it goes. At least I know they have worked on P500's before. I talked to them a couple times about it. I'll update throughout this process. Not looking forward to being without my machine for a few days.

Kool...dude
we will all ride a little longer & harder
just for you.....

Reactions: ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
They always send my stuff to THAT kid.

Dealer service departments scare me to death.

Heck, if I wanted a clueless rookie to work on it, I'd do it myself.

Joe
The dealers have incentive to have the lowest payed guy do the work, whether it's a customer pay job, or warranty work. If they get $80 for an hour of labor, they are going to have the guy that gets paid $10 an hour do it rather than the guy that gets $25 an hour. This applies even more for warranty work because sometimes Honda doesn't pay enough time for some jobs. They can typically charge a customer straight time and get away with it. Sometimes it can be very difficult to get Honda to pay for extra time to get the job done. For example, if Honda's labor time for a front pinion seal R&R is .4 hours, they are only going to pay .4 hours. The dealer can tell the customer its a 2.0 hour job and charge them for it if the customer ok's the work.

The techs that are higher in the pecking order are more likely to whine about getting the crap jobs, so the lower paid guys get that work. Ideally, your $25 an hour guys are getting the tough jobs like electrical issues and engine work because that's really what they're there for.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Got some miles on the p5 since the warranty repair and haven't had any other problems. You guys will like this.... The Honda had a minor oil leak from the front diff. A buggy of another brand that shall not be named had a diff problem as well (4wd not working - ring, pinion, bearings all toast). So this unnamed buggy got a new front diff to the tune of $1200 (installed by me, because I'm nice). And here is what happened to the new factory diff on the second ride. D7f892f5e7e6dbc18d6d16013d0b61ad

Hopefully can get the part warrantied, but I doubt that will happen.

As if we needed any more convincing....

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Btw94ebc7c6721004c54252110cb7646e3f

That's the first ring and pinion from a 2014 with 1000 or so miles. Notice anything about them? Yes I know they are badly worn.... Look between the teeth. Those teeth are not machined. They are AS CAST. Not sure if they are pressure cast, or powdered metal or something else... But I found it crazy that the ring gear is not a forging, or roll forged like most ring gears.

Oh yeah, and I noticed this stamped on one of the bearings in the diff: "CHINA".

Reactions: JTW
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Got some miles on the p5 since the warranty repair and haven't had any other problems. You guys will like this.... The Honda had a minor oil leak from the front diff. A buggy of another brand that shall not be named had a diff problem as well (4wd not working - ring, pinion, bearings all toast). So this unnamed buggy got a new front diff to the tune of $1200 (installed by me, because I'm nice). And here is what happened to the new factory diff on the second ride. View attachment 20315

Hopefully can get the part warrantied, but I doubt that will happen.

As if we needed any more convincing....

$1200 and all that work? Damn ehart, I'd be livid!
Good luck on the warrantied.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
$1200 and all that work? Damn ehart, I'd be livid!
Good luck on the warrantied.

Luckily it's not my machine. I'm thinking about telling him the only way I'll fix it this time is if he is trading it in on something that won't break down every weekend.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!