HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Has anyone ever calculated the fuel mileage of a Pioneer 1000 when driven on paved or graded dirt road at a steady speed?

Last Sunday afternoon I took my buggy out into the local unincorporated town to fill the gas tank. My wife was with me and we stopped at a local Dairy Queen for Blizzards. An exciting outing for us old folks!

While we were sitting in the Honda eating ice cream two elderly blue-hair widows exited the store and entered a car parked beside us. As one of the old ladies passed she asked about the fuel mileage of my Honda.

I didn't know the answer so I guessed 30 - 40 mpg.

Does anyone know the correct answer?

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Depends on if its stock or not Tires, exhaust, tune as well. Its all over the map. With 30’s and a snuff tune on mine sandy trails, paved and dirt roads Im lucky to get 8-10 when I figured it

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
What about mpg?
About 21 mpg on average from my 12k riding experience. When my light would flash empty still had 1.5-2gal in tank. Have gone 45 miles with it flashing empty took 7 gal to fill up (7.9 gal capacity) that was a 148 mile ride that day, farthest I've pushed a tank of fuel in East TN.

Out West I'm guessing 175 miles is doable but I'd carry 5 gal until I repeated the results 5x for an average.

I doubt, you will ever see much over 25 mpg

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Has anyone ever calculated the fuel mileage of a Pioneer 1000 when driven on paved or graded dirt road at a steady speed?

Last Sunday afternoon I took my buggy out into the local unincorporated town to fill the gas tank. My wife was with me and we stopped at a local Dairy Queen for Blizzards. An exciting outing for us old folks!

While we were sitting in the Honda eating ice cream two elderly blue-hair widows exited the store and entered a car parked beside us. As one of the old ladies passed she asked about the fuel mileage of my Honda.

I didn't know the answer so I guessed 30 - 40 mpg.

Does anyone know the correct answer?
Turf mode all black top/gravel I bet you could get around 200 miles to a tank.........probly somewhere between 25/30 mpg

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Someone might winder - why doesn't he simply read the odometer when I fill tank and again when I fill it next time and divide the difference by gallons added.

I can't read the fuel gauge or odometer.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had a Gator and it seemed like I was always putting fuel it. I have a Honda and seems like I'm always putting fuel in it. Nature of the beast. A lot of low range operation.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't know why they don't make them all diesels. Many people have diesel in large storage tanks on the farm. Plus diesels in those small engines get over double the fuel mileage. My diesel mower would mow my grass 2 1/2 on the same amount of fuel as my gas mower.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I don't know why they don't make them all diesels. Many people have diesel in large storage tanks on the farm. Plus diesels in those small engines get over double the fuel mileage. My diesel mower would mow my grass 2 1/2 on the same amount of fuel as my gas mower.
My guess is weight......among other factors

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'm a huge fan of diesel engines in cars, trucks, and tractors but as stated by @JenEllo diesels are heavy, also more expensive to build, and if they're not turbocharged, diesel engines are generally low rpm, high torque, work engines.

Think Kubota. Kubota offers a diesel-powered UTV. Friends owned one a few years ago. They were dead slow.

Last edited:
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I'm not sure, but I pulled the safety tube (or whatever that thing is called) out of the fill neck and that did two things. It allows me to see the fuel level as I'm filling and allows me to fill the tank almost completely full now. I see no downside to it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!