P1000 Fuel Mileage of A Pioneer 1000??

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know about the diesels, my neighbor has the Kubota but in has a hydrostat trans and it's like a lawn tractor slow. I know there heavy one would require a much heavier designed machine to handle the weight. I was just looking at the fuel savings. Years ago my buddy had Volkwagen Rabbit, with a diesel, 50 miles to gallon and ran forever.

Reactions: Smitty335
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
That's probably a good idea. I think that crap in the tank is another stupid Kalifornia-inspired emissions device.

Like all other leftist ideas it does more harm than good.

If I could see well enough to do it I would remove mine also.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm not sure, but I pulled the safety tube (or whatever that thing is called) out of the fill neck and that did two things. It allows me to see the fuel level as I'm filling and allows me to fill the tank almost completely full now. I see no downside to it.

That's probably a good idea. I think that crap in the tank is another stupid Kalifornia-inspired emissions device.

I did that to mine (Talon not Pioneer) and gained 1.4 gallons capacity, from 7.3 to 8.75. There was a downside, after a complete fill I'd get a gas smell in the cab on steep, rocky downhills so I extended my vent from under the hood cowl to as far forward as I could. This raised the highest point of the vent line to just under the hood and vented under my winch. I'll occasionally get a dribble of fuel on the trailer after filling but I'm ok with that and the fuel smell is gone in the cab. Details of that mod are linked in my sig for the curious. NOTE: that 1.4 gallon air bubble in the tank is a safety feature designed to keep fuel expansion inside the tank, not dripping on the trailer. We're adults (mostly), use your head.

I know about the diesels, my neighbor has the Kubota but in has a hydrostat trans and it's like a lawn tractor slow. I know there heavy one would require a much heavier designed machine to handle the weight. I was just looking at the fuel savings. Years ago my buddy had Volkwagen Rabbit, with a diesel, 50 miles to gallon and ran forever.
I rode with a poo poo 1000 something for two days, he got about 9 mpg and I got 16 ish on the same rides. I love the efficiency of the DCT. 😍

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I did that to mine (Talon not Pioneer) and gained 1.4 gallons capacity, from 7.3 to 8.75. There was a downside, after a complete fill I'd get a gas smell in the cab on steep, rocky downhills so I extended my vent from under the hood cowl to as far forward as I could. This raised the highest point of the vent line to just under the hood and vented under my winch. I'll occasionally get a dribble of fuel on the trailer after filling but I'm ok with that and the fuel smell is gone in the cab. Details of that mod are linked in my sig for the curious. NOTE: that 1.4 gallon fuel bubble in the tank is a safety feature designed to keep fuel expansion inside the tank, not dripping on the trailer. We're adults (mostly), use your head.

I rode with a poo poo 1000 something for two days, he got about 9 mpg and I got 16 ish on the same rides. I love the efficiency of the DCT. 😍

That was a smart move. Apparently that stupid device in our gas tank fill neck is "saving the planet" by absorbing gas fumes. Typical nonsense!

The fuel comparison is excellent. If you listen to or drive one of them, the engine in the Canadian snowmobiles is always revving - probably 3000 rpm and above and the centrifugal clutch is always slipping until high engine rpm is reached.

As sophisticated and high tech as a Ford Model A.

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Harvey, the inner tube doesn’t have to be removed. On my pioneer, I poked a 1/8” hole in the upper part of the inner tube about 2” from the end on the high side with an ice pick. Works great.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Harvey, the inner tube doesn’t have to be removed. On my pioneer, I poked a 1/8” hole in the upper part of the inner tube about 2” from the end on the high side with an ice pick. Works great.

Do I understand correctly?

If I puncture the tube in the top of the fill neck with an ice pick or similar tool I'll be able to add an extra gallon when I fill it?

That won't prevent the splash back when filling will it?

Reactions: Smitty335
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do I understand correctly?

If I puncture the tube in the top of the fill neck with an ice pick or similar tool I'll be able to add an extra gallon when I fill it?

That won't prevent the splash back when filling will it?
Just put the gas in slowly. About the only time I fill completely is if we’re going on a really long ride.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Punching the hole, depending on it's size, should work fine. However, if the hole is too small and the fill rate is high, it'd trigger the nozzle auto shut off if t a gas station. It's easy enough to just remove the inner pipe. I used an awl to pry the edge away from the outer fill neck to allow me to grab the edge of the restrictor pipe with a pair of long nose pliers. Then twist the pliers and it reduces the diameter of the inner pipe so the small lip comes out of the groove holding it in place. Much easier to see the fuel level while filling.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
p1k3 the farthest i've made it was 163 miles a tank,
talon was 187, now that it's boosted, i get about 180. with a trail tank.

X50

X50

Lifetime Member
Oct 13, 2021
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We took the 1k5 for about 65 miles of errands a couple of months ago, all paved road driving and 90% of it between 45 and 60 mph. Filled it up at the start and end of the trip. MPG was around 18. That's with stock Bighorn tires.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
We took the 1k5 for about 65 miles of errands a couple of months ago, all paved road driving and 90% of it between 45 and 60 mph. Filled it up at the start and end of the trip. MPG was around 18. That's with stock Bighorn tires.

65 miles of paved roads on bighorns? My ears are ringing just thinking about that.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The couple of times I have checked mine it has been a little under 25 mpg. I just tell myself that it gets about 20 or 150 miles per tank so I have a little left to spare. I don't usually run it til empty though because in today's world, I have to take out a loan from my kids college fund to fill it up. HaHa. Hope you are doing well my friend. @HBarlow

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The couple of times I have checked mine it has been a little under 25 mpg. I just tell myself that it gets about 20 or 150 miles per tank so I have a little left to spare. I don't usually run it til empty though because in today's world, I have to take out a loan from my kids college fund to fill it up. HaHa. Hope you are doing well my friend. @HBarlow
Hello my friend. I'm well. To quote Dave Ramsey, "I'm better than I deserve.'

Reactions: tjoreo and CID
T

tvolsr1

May 19, 2021
Holladay, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2020 PK5 is completely stock, other than the tires. I replaced the factory rubber with 14 inch LT tires for driving on the road. I drive almost exclusively on the roads. I normally run between 30-35 mph. I keep a very close eye on my fuel mpg. If I'm trying, I can get between 28-30 all day long. And that's driving in west TN. With me, the wife, dog and cooler, I still get 23mpg! I've put 6,000 miles on it in the past year because of the gas mileage it gets. Way better than my truck. Btw, the PK5's fuel capacity is "7.9 gal., including 1.7 gal. reserve." That's taken from the Honda website.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!