Full throttle / redline

C

chuck

Dec 14, 2013
Interested in everybody's opinion on running at full throttle and/or near redline for extended periods. Ex: Driving on the road at max speed (i.e. redline) when travelling long distances, or driving in deep snow at full throttle.

Knowing it's a honda engine, with proper maintenance, I'm not too worried, but let's hear what everyone has to say.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Being a mechanic [or auto teck nowadays] for many yrs I can honestly say that any engine run at redline all the time is not going to last as long as one that is say run at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Let me put it this way if you run it faster it'll wear faster,if you lug it all the time it'll wear faster.Happy medium is best. :lol:

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I would not stay pinned for long periods of times. When on the road I usually stay around 40. When blazing a trail burtst of full throttle would be ok. Long periods pegged out will bring trouble.

F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
Don't see many vehicles with worn-out engines anymore.

B

b4hntn

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2013
texashuntinglease.com
Just don't EVER suck dirty water in intake or exhaust. A friend has a shop who will not touch an engine that has been swamped. He replaces it with a rebuilt.

pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
I'm pretty sure they're not actually at "red line" when at top speed. They seem to be governed back a fair amount. I've been wrong before though.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
slowdryrider said:
Being a mechanic [or auto teck nowadays] for many yrs I can honestly say that any engine run at redline all the time is not going to last as long as one that is say run at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Let me put it this way if you run it faster it'll wear faster,if you lug it all the time it'll wear faster.Happy medium is best. :lol:

+1

red4life

red4life

Aug 13, 2013
I run roads 38/39 mph. I know it's a honda but something about running max rpm for long periods of time scares me. On another note, I have yet to purchase a winch and plow and have found that dragging a few pallets with a boulder weighing them down works great for snow clearing.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I did a little test to night. I jacked up the bike and spun up the tires to 45 mph. with know load you can here the rev limiter. my clip on tack said 6800 rpms. even though I hate to do it I brought it up to the rev limiter no load 6800. will the engine stay together at red line yes that's why they put it there it the max safe revs the motor will take. will it last longer backing off to 40 of course it will. I to was surprised to find out the speed limiter was the rev limiter. it still faster than my rino, it topped out at 43 and I didn't get there very often.

Reactions: Dp5hunter

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!