Funny symptom in water?

L

LADucks

Jul 19, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
Good afternoon. Took my 2018 Pioneer 700-4 out on its first real hunting trip this weekend and I was thoroughly impressed with its load carrying abilities. Anyways...

We were going through a flooded rice field that was either under the floor or right at it (never had water across the floor) and it was chugging along fine. Then it seemed as if I was letting off the gas and I wasn’t. I just pushed the gas further down and obtained the throttle level I had previously. This happened maybe twice in about 15 seconds then went away and the throttle was back to normal. I have 28” tires and a 2inch lift. We were bouncing up and down over ruts but like I said, never had water over floor. It never sputtered or ran rough or died, it just ran less throttle like I was slowly taking my foot off the gas to kill it but I wasn’t.

What could cause this and what do I need to check? Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Good afternoon. Took my 2018 Pioneer 700-4 out on its first real hunting trip this weekend and I was thoroughly impressed with its load carrying abilities. Anyways...

We were going through a flooded rice field that was either under the floor or right at it (never had water across the floor) and it was chugging along fine. Then it seemed as if I was letting off the gas and I wasn’t. I just pushed the gas further down and obtained the throttle level I had previously. This happened maybe twice in about 15 seconds then went away and the throttle was back to normal. I have 28” tires and a 2inch lift. We were bouncing up and down over ruts but like I said, never had water over floor. It never sputtered or ran rough or died, it just ran less throttle like I was slowly taking my foot off the gas to kill it but I wasn’t.

What could cause this and what do I need to check? Thanks!
I would check the air intake ducting for lose hose clamps in-between floor and skid plate, some of the P1's had that issue, haven't heard of a P7 with those issues?

L

LADucks

Jul 19, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
Oil looks clean and the filter box looks clean as a whistle. Am I looking for water intrusion at the air box?

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would check the air intake ducting for lose hose clamps in-between floor and skid plate, some of the P1's had that issue, haven't heard of a P7 with those issues?
7 hunnit doesn’t have intake going to front of bike... I think he just hit soft mud or something...

Reactions: lee and swsebek
L

LADucks

Jul 19, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
It was noticable and we weren’t really spinning tires bad. I was maintaining a constant rpm with a certain level of pedal pressure. Then with that same pedal pressure, engine rpm started going down. I pressed down a good bit further and got to the desired rpm for a few seconds and it went back to normal. Never ran rough or sputtered. I just got the pioneer and don’t know the ins and outs yet, but I wondered about the TPS/throttle electrics.

Last edited:
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
You may have not been shifted down in first gear and was stuck in second. I really don't think you can effect anything with water that shallow.

L

LADucks

Jul 19, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
You may have not been shifted down in first gear and was stuck in second. I really don't think you can effect anything with water that shallow.

I have the deluxe and had the bike in manual 1st. Just trying to make sure I didnt cause an issue that will come back to bite me later.

Reactions: swsebek
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Really hard to tell. With water being right at the floorboards there is nothing really to effect unless you were splashing it around hard. I think it just needed some more throttle. 28" tires on a 700 will put more strain on it.
Ex. Your not going to cruse through grass then hit mud/water and stay at the same RPM's without applying more peddle.

Reactions: swsebek
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Maybe it's unrelated to the water you were driving in. Could have got some bad gas or water in the gas.

L

LADucks

Jul 19, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well before I write it off and move on, is there anything else I need to check? Filter box still looked brand new. Oil looks good.

advertisement
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All I can suggest is get intimate with your machine!
Grab a few cans of electrical contact cleaner and a tube of dielectric grease. Start cleaning and greasing every connection on your machine, whether below or above your potential water depth.

L

LADucks

Jul 19, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
All I can suggest is get intimate with your machine!
Grab a few cans of electrical contact cleaner and a tube of dielectric grease. Start cleaning and greasing every connection on your machine, whether below or above your potential water depth.

Is there a thread or sticky somewhere that has all the details on the how-to for breather tube extending? Don’t want to full out snorkel it, but just some preventative help. I don’t plan to ever be up to seat. I see everyone reference doing it, but don’t actually see a post on how.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know @Bayouownbeer offers a kit with instructions for the 1000. I would reach out to him and see what he offers or is his recommendation for the 700.
@DG Rider is another damn good resource on the 500/700 platform.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!