P700 Gas treatment

H

HondaTech

I found the best method for storage is, keep tank full. Drain carb (if it has one). And leave it alone until spring.

If storage for summer months, drain completely. Tank and carb.

I never use sta-bil or anything like it. Never had a problem.

And, if it is going to sit for a year or more, there are other things need done. Or sell it, you are not using it anyway.

I'd never drain a metal tank and let it sit dry, that's a recipe for rust. It's better to fill it full of water then empty.

But none of the SXSs I've worked on have metal tanks. Usually only street bikes have them nowadays.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I'd never drain a metal tank and let it sit dry, that's a recipe for rust. It's better to fill it full of water then empty.
I guess that depends on where you live, I have never had any issues.

I have seen Honda GP Engines and Generators sit on the shelf for years without any problems.

H

HondaTech

I guess that depends on where you live, I have never had any issues.

I have seen Honda GP Engines and Generators sit on the shelf for years without any problems.

Usually the tanks on new products have a coating in them to prevent that. But once gas washes the tank clean they will rust.

Reactions: Buggyman
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Usually the tanks on new products have a coating in them to prevent that. But once gas washes the tank clean they will rust.
I have never heard that or noticed anything, what do they coat them with?

Does that apply to replacement tanks as well?

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
They had a bulletin on the EU7000 for the coating causing fuel filter clogging early in production.
I have never seen a steel Honda gas tank rust after being drained and dried. Only when gas left in with some water sitting on the bottom. I have been working with Honda GP Engines and PE for about 40 years. How long have they been using a coating?

H

HondaTech

I have never seen a steel Honda gas tank rust after being drained and dried. Only when gas left in with some water sitting on the bottom. I have been working with Honda GP Engines and PE for about 40 years. How long have they been using a coating?

I've had multiple smaller engines on generators, water pumps and just GP engines need new fuel tanks because of rust. Maybe your neck of the woods is just less moist. 😂

My Big Red tank had to lined due to rust, ive also replaced several street bike tanks because of rust.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I use nothing, cheapest mini mart gas. Snow blower sat for a year, just started it this morning, 2nd pull, gas at least a year old, I just shut the fuel valve off and run em dry when done. If there isn't anything in the bowl, hard to gum up. My kingquad 300 has under 300 miles on it in last 4 years, I think I put a little bit of gas in it 2 times after an initial fresh tank. Starts every time no issues.

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Non-ethanol Fuel and no stabilizer ever in the last 15 years with zero problems. Everything carbureted except for the Pioneer.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I use nothing, cheapest mini mart gas. Snow blower sat for a year, just started it this morning, 2nd pull, gas at least a year old, I just shut the fuel valve off and run em dry when done. If there isn't anything in the bowl, hard to gum up. My kingquad 300 has under 300 miles on it in last 4 years, I think I put a little bit of gas in it 2 times after an initial fresh tank. Starts every time no issues.
All good info, but the Pioneer does not have fuel shutoff.
I think 2 stroke chainsaws and weedwhips are the most affected in my experience

Reactions: Smitty335
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Nearly 40 years owning countless engines of all kinds with all kinds of fuel systems. Standard ethanol fuel used in most everything. Stabil anything holding fuel over the winter, then either run/use it within a year or drain it and burn it in the daily driver. Knock on wood, never a single instance of fuel issues in my life with the exception of a 20YO portable generator that I had to replace deteriorated fuel lines on. Metal tanks would be kept full over the winter months, while plastic tanks would be drained. Boat with dual 75G aluminum tanks would use marine Stabil.

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I've heard that Gaviscon Extra Strength does wonders

• Haha
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
If it's a little more complex situation, I hear Imodium has been known to treat advance cases of liquid gas

• Haha

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!