P1000 Gbc dirt commanders - pictures and reviews wanted

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So my everlong search for a good all around tire has led me to the dirt commanders. I'm looking at the 30x10-14 size. Most of my use will be trail riding, but my hunting lease is in a river bottom with black clay soil (read slick when wet). It looks like the dirt commanders would clean out well, something my tensor regulators will not do. I am NOT a mud bogger, but looking for something that performs considerably better than what I have. I was looking at the outback max originally, but they are just too heavy imho. The dirt commanders in 30" are similar in weight to my 28" regulators which is a plus.

For those that have them, how are they in mud?

In addition, pictures of them on a pioneer 1000 would be great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vikes79 and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So my everlong search for a good all around tire has led me to the dirt commanders. I'm looking at the 30x10-14 size. Most of my use will be trail riding, but my hunting lease is in a river bottom with black clay soil (read slick when wet). It looks like the dirt commanders would clean out well, something my tensor regulators will not do. I am NOT a mud blogger, but looking for something that performs considerably better than what I have. I was looking at the outback max originally, but they are just too heavy imho. The dirt commanders in 30" are similar in weight to my 28" regulators which is a plus.

I’d be interested to know as well.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So my everlong search for a good all around tire has led me to the dirt commanders. I'm looking at the 30x10-14 size. Most of my use will be trail riding, but my hunting lease is in a river bottom with black clay soil (read slick when wet). It looks like the dirt commanders would clean out well, something my tensor regulators will not do. I am NOT a mud blogger, but looking for something that performs considerably better than what I have. I was looking at the outback max originally, but they are just too heavy imho. The dirt commanders in 30" are similar in weight to my 28" regulators which is a plus.

GBC makes good tires. You're right the dirt commander cleans out well and has good traction. They don't have a lot of sideways bite but still not a bad choice.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bias ply rated at 8ply. That is triple thickness 8ply radial that has 2ply sidewalls and double the 4ply thread.
I get it, you prefer bias ply and there’s nothing wrong with bias ply tires if that’s what you want to run. I think 8ply from sidewall to sidewall is great but if you’re trying to say that radial sxs tires are inferior or the wrong choice, you may want to consider how many guys around here run radials and tackle some pretty rough trail. Last time I rode with @Bad_bowtie he was running some tusk Terrabites that had chunks missing from the sidewalls and didn’t have a flat the whole time we rode Windrock. We went to the prison hit multiple trails and even went up trail 22. All in all we went 96 miles that trip with zero sidewall punctures. Three rigs with radial 8 ply tires, no issues. My Roctane XD’s took a nasty hit to the sidewall when I was climbing a bank, nailed the sidewall in some rocks sticking out while going about 26 mph, no flat. I like the concept of 8 ply from side to side but you have to agree that both tires have advantages and disadvantages.

Sjc3081

Sjc3081

Jan 16, 2017
Wappinger NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Russ I prefer the ride, handling and long wear of a radial tire. Im tired of rim damage and sidewall tears caused by radial tires weak/ soft sidewalls. There are advantages to each. I think the advantage bias tires have resisting sidewall punctures is worth it. Im currently running Sedona Rockabilles and their sidewall is thick.
read this

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Russ I prefer the ride, handling and long wear of a radial tire. Im tired of rim damage and sidewall tears caused by radial tires weak/ soft sidewalls. There are advantages to each. I think the advantage bias tires have resisting sidewall punctures is worth it. Im currently running Sedona Rockabilles and their sidewall is thick.
read this
I’ve read that, it’s a good write up. I’ve not bought tires for the 1000 yet, I looked at the Rockabilly but not sure I’m sold on the tread pattern yet. I like a little more aggressive tire for my type of riding. Too many choices is great yet horrible problem to have. 😉

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
FWIW, there is no standard to ply ratings for tires. They can call it whatever they want so an 8ply tire does not mean the same thing across the board.

advertisement
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FWIW, there is no standard to ply ratings for tires. They can call it whatever they want so an 8ply tire does not mean the same thing across the board.
Good point

Reactions: Hondoman
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Well. I disagree with terribites having a strong sidewall. Lol.
1 year of ownership and have replaced 3 tires. 1 tire pinch. And 2 rock cuts in the side walls. Oh, I have the kevlar versions too.

I'm going with bias tires next if I can find a set I like.

I did have have dirt commanders on my 700. Didnt have enough ride time on them to make a decision before I sold it.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1 year of ownership and have replaced 3 tires. 1 tire pinch. And 2 rock cuts in the side walls. Oh, I have the kevlar versions too.

I did have have dirt commanders on my 700. Didnt have enough ride time on them to make a decision before I sold it.
Might be all of that extra sidewall you have available while rolling on 12” wheels Bossman. 😆

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Did you have the dirt commanders long enough to run them through mud? If so howd they do?

Reactions: BBB
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So my everlong search for a good all around tire has led me to the dirt commanders. I'm looking at the 30x10-14 size. Most of my use will be trail riding, but my hunting lease is in a river bottom with black clay soil (read slick when wet). It looks like the dirt commanders would clean out well, something my tensor regulators will not do. I am NOT a mud bogger, but looking for something that performs considerably better than what I have. I was looking at the outback max originally, but they are just too heavy imho. The dirt commanders in 30" are similar in weight to my 28" regulators which is a plus.

I have the sti outbacks in 28-10-14 and the regulators in the same size. The outbacks are on tusk nebo beadlocks and the regulators are on method beadlocks. The difference I noticed was the outbacks are rough on hard pack and very aggressive in the slop. As far as weight mounted on wheels I couldn't tell a difference. I did not scale either sets. Both have their place and are awesome for the use intended. I cant speak yet for the durability of the tensor side walls.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the sti outbacks in 28-10-14 and the regulators in the same size. The outbacks are on tusk nebo beadlocks and the regulators are on method beadlocks. The difference I noticed was the outbacks are rough on hard pack and very aggressive in the slop. As far as weight mounted on wheels I couldn't tell a difference. I did not scale either sets. Both have their place and are awesome for the use intended. I cant speak yet for the durability of the tensor side walls.
I'm going 30" in whatever I go with. 30" outbacks are 48.2 lbs ea ☹. If they were about 8lbs lighter I'd be all over them. I had one pinch flat on one of my tensors, otherwise I've had no flats. Tensors are good tires, they just suck in mud.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ohio4x4
fishinnut1986

fishinnut1986

Sep 3, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Look at the bfg km3 as well, I believe it’s going to make a fantastic all around tough tire. A little pricey but should last a good while.

EFF48550 A129 4229 BBAB 88B0B3E7782F

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!