P700 General tire questions for my use.

J

Jdemp

Jan 5, 2021
VA and WV
Ownership

1. 500
So I just purchased a used 700-4, I also have a 2017 p500 that I bought new. Currently it (700) has factory tires. I plan to use it as a short range Jeep here in WV (it’s already road legal modified). I’ve read threads on the tire options and am leaning towards Terrabites. My question is would I benefit (in your experience) from stock rims (12) with Terribites or 14 inch rims with those or some other tires? My use would be roads and dirt trails between my house and my cabin. Speed limit is mostly 25 with a short section at 40. Real question 12 inch with Terrabites or would 14 inch rims be a big difference at the speeds that the 700 can do?

Reactions: Backwoods
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I'd lean towards the 12" for more sidewall and a better ride quality, but they will be heavier than the 14s.
Dunno the weight savings of the 12" wheel vs the 14.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I would stick with stock rims. I don’t see a benefit of 14” in your case.

I went to 15” rims on my 1000, but that was for looks and more tire sizes available in the future.

I think 12” rims have a bigger variety of tires than 14” rims if you decide to change in the future.

J

Jdemp

Jan 5, 2021
VA and WV
Ownership

1. 500
I hadn’t considered the weight…I’m leaning toward just tires at 27 inches just for a little more top end. I don’t really care for the look of aftermarket wheels anyway. I’m kinda old school on my cars trucks and things that go. I appreciate the advice as I’m no expert on the 700. My 500 is a beast on the hills but 30mph and limited seating is the issue.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Not used to tires that small, so maybe someone else will know (@Remington ??), but ... a LT tire would probably be better than a UTV tire for your intended use.

It only took you three years to make your second post on the forums, eh? LOL. Welcome! And better post some pics before our resident sheriff finds you in violation of rule #4.

J

Jdemp

Jan 5, 2021
VA and WV
Ownership

1. 500
Not used to tires that small, so maybe someone else will know (@Remington ??), but ... a LT tire would probably be better than a UTV tire for your intended use.

It only took you three years to make your second post on the forums, eh? LOL. Welcome! And better post some pics before our resident sheriff finds you in violation of rule #4.
I thought about the light truck tires. I think the terrabite might be close enough? I’m not much for posting I usually can get a general answer by searching. I don’t have any pics of the 700 yet. But here’s one of the 500….so I’m not in total violation..

IMG 0269

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So I just purchased a used 700-4, I also have a 2017 p500 that I bought new. Currently it (700) has factory tires. I plan to use it as a short range Jeep here in WV (it’s already road legal modified). I’ve read threads on the tire options and am leaning towards Terrabites. My question is would I benefit (in your experience) from stock rims (12) with Terribites or 14 inch rims with those or some other tires? My use would be roads and dirt trails between my house and my cabin. Speed limit is mostly 25 with a short section at 40. Real question 12 inch with Terrabites or would 14 inch rims be a big difference at the speeds that the 700 can do?
First, welcome from Michigan
Second, we need pics of the P7 mystery machine POIDH. Forum penal code 69 lol

If your on dirt and paved roads mostly, Id get some LT tires. They will ware 10time better than a utv tire unless u like dropping coin on tires alot lol. If you go this route, I would get the same size tire all the way around. Better set up. Search LT tires up top for more info.
We will patiently wait for the P7 pics😉

J

Jdemp

Jan 5, 2021
VA and WV
Ownership

1. 500
First, welcome from Michigan
Second, we need pics of the P7 mystery machine POIDH. Forum penal code 69 lol

If your on dirt and paved roads mostly, Id get some LT tires. They will ware 10time better than a utv tire unless u like dropping coin on tires alot lol. If you go this route, I would get the same size tire all the way around. Better set up. Search LT tires up top for more info.
We will patiently wait for the P7 pics😉
I’ll have to take a picture tomorrow evening when I get off, it’s still at my friends house who I bought it from.

I’ve done some searching on the LT tires and you’re 100% right. I don’t want a lift so basically a 27 inch tires the limit. If I go 14 inch wheels there are some options in 27x8.5 14 in mud terrain street tires. So on the fence Tusk Terrabite in 27 on stock 12 inch rims or buy 14 inch wheels and cheap mud tires also in 27. From what I read the tusk tires last quite a while.

The extra diameter ether way will give me a tiny boost in top end over the current 25 stockers.

advertisement