P700 Gets wet and dies

H

H500driver

Mar 4, 2014
Palmetto, FL
Ownership

1. Talon R
Got a 2014 P4 and when I try to cross some water, it simply dies. Get it pulled out and it is hard to start. When it does it spits sputters then finally dies again. Airbox is always dry, but muffler is usually full. Any ideas?

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
how deep of water? how fast are you hitting it? the vent line for the fuel tank is know to suck in water.

H

H500driver

Mar 4, 2014
Palmetto, FL
Ownership

1. Talon R
I pulled the side panel off last night so I could access the vent line easier. I'll drain the fuel tank,extend the vent line and dielectric grease all the connectors. Just seems odd as another pioneer can follow right behind me and have no issues. Gonna take a look at the spark arrestor also.

H

H500driver

Mar 4, 2014
Palmetto, FL
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ok so I installed a snorkel and vented the fuel tank breather along with fan and both diffs. Went riding a couple of days ago and the problem still persist. I cant be the only person this is happening to. It seems as if when whatever is getting wet is shuts it down instantaneous, gonna look at all connections as i for got to use dielectric grease and check all grounds. Crossing water and its only half way up the door and it dies. Again I'm open to all suggestions, thank you.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ok so I installed a snorkel and vented the fuel tank breather along with fan and both diffs. Went riding a couple of days ago and the problem still persist. I cant be the only person this is happening to. It seems as if when whatever is getting wet is shuts it down instantaneous, gonna look at all connections as i for got to use dielectric grease and check all grounds. Crossing water and its only half way up the door and it dies. Again I'm open to all suggestions, thank you.
I think you're on the right track, sounds like an electrical issue

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I had a similar experience on a Honda Foreman. It was a cracked spark plug. Only shorted to ground when it got wet.

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
I had something sort of similar when I sunk mine there a couple weeks ago, but my problem was the letting off the throttle too fast from near or full power, and it stalled, once it stalled, i wasn't able to get it started again until i pulled it out, even then I had to crank it over for probably 30 seconds to blow all the water out of the exhaust. I verified afterward that I didn't have any water ingress into the intake tract. When i got home, i had a puddle probably the size of a silver dollar in the airbox, which may very well have been in there from previous rides.

H

H500driver

Mar 4, 2014
Palmetto, FL
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ok got every connection and ground dielectric greased and tightened. I'll post the outcome when I get out to ride next.

Reactions: Tflynn
H

H500driver

Mar 4, 2014
Palmetto, FL
Ownership

1. Talon R
Sorry for the late reply as the other reply is lost in cyberspace somewhere. The problem seems to be fixed with every connection having dielectric grease applied.

Reactions: joeymt33
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sorry for the late reply as the other reply is lost in cyberspace somewhere. The problem seems to be fixed with every connection having dielectric grease applied.
Good news! Thanks for the update

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Yes, thanks for getting back to us. Glad it's fixed.

SIGNATURE:
CumminsPusher quote: Boredom + Pioneer = trouble for me. I can't stop. Damn these things guys. I thank god I'm not the only one though. If it's just you then you're crazy if it's a group it's a sport!

L

Lawdog67

Sep 4, 2018
Sinclairville, NY
Ownership

1. 700-4
My 700 seems to shut off after it warms up but starts right back up, it just started happening and of course after the warranty ran out, any suggestions? I am new to the group so hello everyone.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
My 700 seems to shut off after it warms up but starts right back up, it just started happening and of course after the warranty ran out, any suggestions? I am new to the group so hello everyone.
Hi lawdog
Welcome to the forum. You replied to this thread so your question is embedded in an old thread. I suggest you get out of this thread and post a new one. Give us some specifics. How long before it shuts down? Is it getting Hot? Are you going fast or puttering when it happens. And additional info will help.

Maybe @Hondasxs can move it for you.

Last edited:
H

H500driver

Mar 4, 2014
Palmetto, FL
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ok, its happening again. Rode with 2 other P-700's today and yep as soon as you get half way up the doors it either stalls or spits and sputters. They have no issues going the same route. Im missing something and i think its so easy ro fix but i cant locate it.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ok, its happening again. Rode with 2 other P-700's today and yep as soon as you get half way up the doors it either stalls or spits and sputters. They have no issues going the same route. Im missing something and i think its so easy ro fix but i cant locate it.
Did you check the spark plug like @Gator suggested?

SpaceTroll

SpaceTroll

Jul 8, 2018
Kirbyville Tx
Ownership

1. 500
You might start spraying water from a hose on different areas under your buggy and on the motor to try and localize the issue. Electrical problems can be a major pita

H

H500driver

Mar 4, 2014
Palmetto, FL
Ownership

1. Talon R
Found it, removed bed and all plastics from seat rear ward. Problem is the spark plug boot, as soon as water hits it for any amount of time it spits sputters and dies. Will not start back up with water spraying at the boot, fires instantaneously as soon as the water is removed. Hopefully this is the Gremlin!

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Found it, removed bed and all plastics from seat rear ward. Problem is the spark plug boot, as soon as water hits it for any amount of time it spits sputters and dies. Will not start back up with water spraying at the boot, fires instantaneously as soon as the water is removed. Hopefully this is the Gremlin!
I get half a point. For being close.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!