Getting me one of them pioneers! Made the switch

H

Hardjerk

Jun 2, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
About a month ago I bought a brand new defender xmr, had the snorkels and was a really nice machine, sold it 3.5 weeks after I bought it, it just wasn’t for me, picking up my new pioneer 1000 Tuesday sure hope I made the right decision! Defender to pioneer
B29E3769 EA03 4228 9985 B176F31D7FF9
D7ECBB43 58BA 4422 BA7B 2ED832BE3739

H

Hardjerk

Jun 2, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Honestly a couple reasons, I got it home and noticed the taillights always stayed on, even when the lights weren’t on, then there were 3 occasions when the headlights wouldn’t shut off, not even on a timer like I thought maybe they were, then the last time, I was riding it and rode it about 15/20 miles and I turned around on a flat dirt road and it was like the belt slipped, at first I thought is my drive wheel off the ground??? But then said hmmm not a prayer on a flat dirt road, it revved up and didn’t move, at that point said well this ones gonna go and I’ll just find a shaft driven machine, it may be petty reasons but I know all of my wheels were on the ground and it didn’t slip out of gear, and it was a slow turn around not a burn out

Thorney

Thorney

Mar 21, 2021
Minnesota / Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-4
Interesting. I am picking up my new 700-4 tomorrow. I never even considered a belt driven machine. I have three Honda ATVs.

When my buddies and I ride, they all have whining belt noise and can't control the engine rpm's. I can gear up or down and keep things running smooth and quiet. I hate belts. Have had belts blow up on my sleds. Sucks.

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly a couple reasons, I got it home and noticed the taillights always stayed on, even when the lights weren’t on, then there were 3 occasions when the headlights wouldn’t shut off, not even on a timer like I thought maybe they were, then the last time, I was riding it and rode it about 15/20 miles and I turned around on a flat dirt road and it was like the belt slipped, at first I thought is my drive wheel off the ground??? But then said hmmm not a prayer on a flat dirt road, it revved up and didn’t move, at that point said well this ones gonna go and I’ll just find a shaft driven machine, it may be petty reasons but I know all of my wheels were on the ground and it didn’t slip out of gear, and it was a slow turn around not a burn out

Welcome to the forum and to the Honda family. The reasons stated above are the same reasons that I never wanted to take a chance on belt driven machines and have always stuck with Honda brand ATV’s and now my UTV. My kids all have Honda dirt bikes as well.
They’re not the fastest or the fanciest machines on the market but it’s hard to bet against a DCT machine for reliability and toughness, not to mention the huge dealer network here in the states for when you do have a breakdown and need parts quickly.
However the switch turns out, please keep us posted on the comparison between the two machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

Hardjerk

Jun 2, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well fellows I got it home today, rode it about 15 minutes after all the rain let up, it’s weird, the thing shifts like a car, I’m not used to it and not sure how crazy I am about it, I like the cvt I won’t deny, probably better then all the shifting, maybe I’ll get used to the shifting, it has a little racket in the rear of the machine I have no idea what it is, maybe it’s nothing at all, maybe it’s shifting, maybe it needs breaking in, after all it only has 0.7 hours on it now and about 3 miles, the seats lean back further up top then the xmr can am does and I do like that, the power feels adequate but not quite as strong as the defender, no biggie, I’ve heard several people and not just on the net talk about how reliable it is, maybe I just need to go on an all day ride and get the feel for it, I do like the power steering and the short amount of room it takes to turn

B

Bossman429

May 6, 2021
Sault ste marie
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I like my pioneer 1000. I like to leave it in turf mode most of the time. I've found that the doors and box do have some rattling. The power in high and low is enough for almost all conditions. Enjoy and stay safe.

20210418 150520

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I like my pioneer 1000. I like to leave it in turf mode most of the time. I've found that the doors and box do have some rattling. The power in high and low is enough for almost all conditions. Enjoy and stay safe.

View attachment 271012
Some 1/4 inch rubber tubing for the rear bed latch and look up @RB3 door bushings, works wonders!

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It would be nice if somebody made a replacement door catch (the bent round bar) that attaches to the roll cage. Something that would fit in the latches tighter and have a replaceable piece of plastic tubing like the the catches on a car.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It would be nice if somebody made a replacement door catch (the bent round bar) that attaches to the roll cage. Something that would fit in the latches tighter and have a replaceable piece of plastic tubing like the the catches on a car.
Have you tried adjusting the catch and rubber door stops?

Reactions: Bossman429
Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well fellows I got it home today, rode it about 15 minutes after all the rain let up, it’s weird, the thing shifts like a car, I’m not used to it and not sure how crazy I am about it, I like the cvt I won’t deny, probably better then all the shifting, maybe I’ll get used to the shifting, it has a little racket in the rear of the machine I have no idea what it is, maybe it’s nothing at all, maybe it’s shifting, maybe it needs breaking in, after all it only has 0.7 hours on it now and about 3 miles, the seats lean back further up top then the xmr can am does and I do like that, the power feels adequate but not quite as strong as the defender, no biggie, I’ve heard several people and not just on the net talk about how reliable it is, maybe I just need to go on an all day ride and get the feel for it, I do like the power steering and the short amount of room it takes to turn
Congratulations on the new buggy, and welcome from the mountains of WNC. I have aP1K-5 D Lux it is my first SXS, I have taken it into some sketchy situations and it has continued to impress me with its capabilities. Just keep in mind it is a sport/utility rig, more utility than sport but gets the job done at the house and on the trail, so I’m good.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
A couple of wraps of electrical tape since 2013:p.

On the dump bed, I've tried a few things. Split pen barrels with a few wraps of electrical tape to keep them on, and they would last maybe 2 rides before they wore through. So lately, I've been using some plastic EVAP line from a junk engine we had, and that is holding up rather well.

Adjustment is key with this as well. Of you put the latches so the dump hook is in constant contact with them, it'll wear through quickly and start to squeak from metal on metal. Just a touch of slop, and keeping it to a minimum seems to work best. Helps that I always have a bit if weight at the front of the bed.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!