getting real suspension.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
adjust ability. i'm thinking about changing my shocks to have the adjustable option, like REBOUND!!!! WTF Honda was thinking when they built a race machine with no rebound adjustment is beyond me.

That said, anyone done this yet? on any of the QS3 lineup?

parts should be about 300 for the lower rebound adjustment, then filing them with nitrogen again.

thoughts?

Reactions: Sandfreak
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
adjust ability. i'm thinking about changing my shocks to have the adjustable option, like REBOUND!!!! WTF Honda was thinking when they built a race machine with no rebound adjustment is beyond me.

That said, anyone done this yet? on any of the QS3 lineup?

parts should be about 300 for the lower rebound adjustment, then filing them with nitrogen again.

thoughts?
Do the Foxes have High and Low speed compression adjustments stock? With the Elka's you can turn Stage 3's into Stage's 5's. All it takes is a compression cartridge and a different shock end, and money, I think?

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
some of the foxes do, you can purchase the parts to convert the QS3 three position compression adjustment to a true high low speed adjuster. and you can add the lower rebound adjustment, as the QS3 do not have that stock.

the rebound adjuster is 150$ each, and the compression valve is 100.$
so far i'd just change the rear. front is great the way it is.
i wish Honda had done the QS3 on the X and the RC2 on the R.

Reactions: TwoRs
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
some of the foxes do, you can purchase the parts to convert the QS3 three position compression adjustment to a true high low speed adjuster. and you can add the lower rebound adjustment, as the QS3 do not have that stock.

the rebound adjuster is 150$ each, and the compression valve is 100.$
so far i'd just change the rear. front is great the way it is.
i wish Honda had done the QS3 on the X and the RC2 on the R.
So for $ 1,000 you could have a true tunable shock? Think most riders wouldn't want or need shocks like this, me I like to mess with settings.

Reactions: GPR1500SC
H

Harding10

Apr 14, 2019
Calif
Ownership

1. Talon R
The shocks are simple but I was surprised how well they work. I have a yxz and after weller rebuilt the internals, two stage coils and all the adjustments, the talon in stock form takes it in my opinion. I’ll spend my time driving instead of fighting settings and buying parts.

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
Like everything there is give and take. I personally like the shocks on my X. Very stable cornering. Car stays very flat and never felt that "whew" feeling when being a little too agressive. Never hit bottom and I hit a few unexpected holes along a pretty rough terrain here in Michigan.I ran with a lot of polaris and can-am's yesterday and the Talon was the bell of the ball. I was surprised how comfortable I grew with the Talon after a few miles. Left me feeling a very confident driver. Are there better options for shocks? I am sure, but again, there will be give and take. If you want a smoother ride, you are going to give up some of that "cat like" cornering and will find the bottom of your shocks sooner.

Reactions: TimG and carlsonjmc
D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
Shock Therapy has now got the Fox shock internal valving figured out and real dual rate springs with cross over rings now for the Talon.
I have a appointment for July 3rd to get mine setup for my style of riding and more comfort.
Will post back after they have set them up. They did my Polaris RZR and it made a world of difference...DRK

Reactions: Ragnar406
MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Shock Therapy has now got the Fox shock internal valving figured out and real dual rate springs with cross over rings now for the Talon.
I have a appointment for July 3rd to get mine setup for my style of riding and more comfort.
Will post back after they have set them up. They did my Polaris RZR and it made a world of difference...DRK
That is good to hear. I will be ready for the upgrade.

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
I got my Talon X back today from Shock Therapy....
They made a whole new machine out of it. It is and absolute pleasure to drive now.
The slow speed harsh bone jarring ride is now gone and throttle control is very much improved.
Even the high speed ride is improved. Because of the plushness, i pushed it even harder in the rough sections and whoops.
I thought the high speed handling was great before, but it is much better now . I have only been in the #1 setting so far and have not bottomed it out. Can it be, Absolutely, but you still have two more setting to stiffen it up for the really flat out attack. I will test that out in the next couple of days.
I will have to say it is the best money I have spent so far in making this the best ridding and handling UTV i have owned.
They did my Polaris RZR and I thought it did good, but this Talon is a big step up...
My Talon was only the third one they have done so far for a customer. But they have put extensive testing into both the X and R in the past several months to get to this point....DRK

J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Can you summerize what changes were made and the costs? Spring chages?internal damping? Ride height change? Spare parts you got back?
Thanks.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
I will do the best I can for you Jimmy.
I got eight new springs with the silent cross over rings. The stock springs do not have the cross over rings. There is a big difference in the springs as far as wire diameter and spring lengths.
The biggest is in the rear. The lower spring is a little shorter and much less in wire diameter. the top or tender spring I think they call it is now a lot longer and is not in a coil bound state like the stock one was.
The front lower springs seems to be about the same length but now slightly smaller wire diameter. the top tender spring is now longer and a larger wire diameter. I did not ask the spring poundage ratings.
I did not check the ride height before I took it in, but it seemed a littler higher, or at least for my wife trying to get in.
They asked a multitude of question on my riding style and desires along with tire size added accessories my weight, wife's weight, gear weights and changes that have been made to the machine and any future mods to be made.
As for the internal valving, he named off several changes that had been made, but where all Greek to me.So i can't explain them.
They added schrader valves, filled the shocks with new full synthetic racing oil and nitrogen.
They spent a lot of time in setting the finished ride height and testing to make sure all was correct.
The total cost was $1438.75 and worth every penny...
After my test ride last night, I could not believe the amount of change this has made in my machine. And I am really looking forward to more riding today and in the future.

In a earlier post you asked for pictures on my dust control subject. I have pictures on my cell phone and can take pics of the new springs ect.. But I do not know how to post them on the site, is why I have not done so, so far.
Call it being a senior and not real brilliant into this new computer age.

Hope this answers some of your questions and will be glade to help more if I can...DRK

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I got eight new springs with the silent cross over rings. The stock springs do not have the cross over rings. There is a big difference in the springs as far as wire diameter and spring lengths.
The biggest is in the rear. The lower spring is a little shorter and much less in wire diameter. the top or tender spring I think they call it is now a lot longer and is not in a coil bound state like the stock one was.
The front lower springs seems to be about the same length but now slightly smaller wire diameter. the top tender spring is now longer and a larger wire diameter. I did not ask the spring poundage ratings.
I did not check the ride height before I took it in, but it seemed a littler higher, or at least for my wife trying to get in.
They asked a multitude of question on my riding style and desires along with tire size added accessories my weight, wife's weight, gear weights and changes that have been made to the machine and any future mods to be made.
As for the internal valving, he named off several changes that had been made, but where all Greek to me.So i can't explain them.
They added schrader valves, filled the shocks with new full synthetic racing oil and nitrogen.
They spent a lot of time in setting the finished ride height and testing to make sure all was correct.
After my test ride last night, I could not believe the amount of change this has made in my machine. And I am really looking forward to more riding today and in the future.

In a earlier post you asked for pictures on my dust control subject. I have pictures on my cell phone and can take pics of the new springs ect.. But I do not know how to post them on the site, is why I have not done so, so far.

Hope this answers some of your questions and will be glade to help more if I can...DRK
That's not a bad price of what you had done!

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
Ok, I just got back from another test ride. A friend went with me, both of us weigh in at 215lbs. this was a fast ride as the temps are already hitting 100 degrees and rising.
We took turns driving and rode the rocky rough mountain area and then drop down into the desert area where it was a horrible wash boards and into the real big sandy whoops areas.
#1 setting ride good and smooth as could be expected as compared to the stock setup and only rode in #1 in the rocky area.
As for the desert #1 was smoother that stock in the sandy wash board and did much better as the speeds increased.
Then into the big whoops and jumps ect. #1 setting wash plush at slower speeds not really what you would want for aggressive riding.
#2 setting was a little better and I was able to bottom out the rear end twice. #3 setting was even better and never was able to bottom it out and still very plush.
Played with different settings at high speeds in the whoops on the way back and settled on #1 front #3 in the rear.
This produced the best overall ride and there was no bucking in rear and best comfort and control.
I feel there is a little more body lean in the corners than before.
Shock Therapy said they are working on a new adjustable sway bar for the Talon that will take care of the different riding styles.

My friend made the comment when we got back, that he could not believe how much better the Talon performed and rode from this shock upgrade compared to the stock setup. Night and day difference.

J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
DRK, your talon is an X ?

Thank you for your report!

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yes, it is a X

Also did not add.. They are giving a 20% discount for the internal shock work the month of July but not the springs...DRK

So far I only know of one other Talon here in the Yuma, AZ area and it is and R. If I can locate him, I would like to swap rides to see the difference.
Someone on this site said they thought the R road smoother than the X. But I do not how that could be when the R has a 3" rear shock and heavier sprung in the rear with all else being some what equal.
There is only a 1/2" width difference with my X vs the R since I am running 30 X 10 R15 tires on a 5-2 offset 7" rim.
The R is longer which will have little effect also.
Hope to find and R to test ride.
Anybody that's available in not to far away that would be interested in a ride swap comparison, I am available...DRK

Reactions: GPR1500SC
J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for updates! Sounds like its a winner.
I asked if you had an X cause you said they added crossover rings. (I have always called them crossover nuts, cause they thread into desired postion.) The R has crossover rings (nuts) front and back, stock equipment.
So this, plus all the other geometry differences, implies ST's kit for an R would be a completly different animal from that for an X. Just thinking...

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
That answers a few things.
Why people thought the R was smoother at slow speeds and rock crawling than the X, as it did not come with the cross over rings. I will have to check that out.... Thanks

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Take a picture, send it to your e-mail, open e-mail and open picture, send that to desk top, enter your message on this site, click the up load a file beside the post reply and it will be attached

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks Smitty, I will work on that.
I would like to be able to post pics....

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!