BOX1

P500 GOING BACK TO 24'S TIRES!

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I did have the tires inflated to max PSI that probably didn't help the 26 in tires run in the sand, what's the lowest PSI I can go with oh my 26 inch tires front 26 x 8 x 12. And rear 26x10x12 what's the lowest PSI I could get away with in that tire?
What is the max psi? You can probably go as low as 5psi depending on the tire. I was running 8 in my 25” tires I’m running 6 in my 27” tires . I never ran on “sugar sand” but I would think staying on top would be important and running max psi is not helping. I would definitely drop it down and see if it helps.

Reactions: rtn001
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Got 26s BUT Honda puts the optimum tire size on all their OHVs so they are best overall . Best quality ? no . Why would they put a tire size on that would make the vehicle operate at less then the best it could do ? They wouldn't !
Lower your air pressure on your 26s and it will help in the sand a lot .

1border4manu

1border4manu

Supporting Member
Jul 4, 2019
Zephyrhills, Florida
Ownership

1. 500
All I know is that we have all kinds of fun running around Ocala National Forrest with our P500. Went 50 miles on Thursday. But again we are not trying to keep up with Talon's or RZR's.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK, hear me out..... I live in florida "LAND OF THE STINKY SUGAR SAND TRAILS >:-0 " Thats all I hit mainly. Went out to the Ocala Forest and went riding with wifey, When I hit sugar Sand trail DEEP sand the p5 would RPM too high in 3rd gear and I would MANUALLY shift to 4th then it would bog down but stay in 4th at lower rpm. I could run at way too high RPMS and stay in 3rd or run lower RPMS stay in 4th, I noticed when I stay in 4th and gun it in 4wd after a long run it will shift funny afterwards "like it would take LONGER to shift from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th after a long run in sugar sand struggling in 4th. (ONCE IT COOLED DOWN IT WOULD SHIFT NORMAL, WHY???) I have 26" sunF tires and 1.5 wheel spacers on all wheels, FYI I cant go TOO fast in 4th because the damn trails are SOOOOO bumpy & whoopy feel like I'd shake the machine apart AND I HAVE WALKER EVANS ON ITS AN IMPROVEMENT BUT.......

SOLUTION: Going to go back to a 24" tire to regain some HP in 4th gear to help running with a partner! MAYBE IT WILL ALLOW HIGHER RPMS IN 4TH WHILE RUNNING IN SUGARSAND???

Plz help, Opinions?
Stay with 26’s, if nothing else they might give you a bigger footprint to help stay on top of the sand. As far as power, you have plenty to pull 26” tires.

Reactions: trigger and rtn001
Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500
I put on 26” moose 6ply tires last summer to replace the stock tires and the 1st ride out I noticed the 500 working a bit harder to get thru sand and it drifts more side to side than stock, I think going back to 24” may help a bit but not enough to justify the loss in ride quality the 26” tires have
I know what you say about the 500 and it’s limits and looking at other machines, I was there too, but after lots of research I found another sxs is not what I wanted and ended up with a new rancher, lots of sand up here too and the rancher with irs dct power steering shines

Reactions: HiFive and rtn001
Lofar

Lofar

Feb 17, 2019
NV
youtu.be
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did have the tires inflated to max PSI that probably didn't help the 26 in tires run in the sand, what's the lowest PSI I can go with oh my 26 inch tires front 26 x 8 x 12. And rear 26x10x12 what's the lowest PSI I could get away with in that tire?

I would try the air pressure first before changing wheels.

Reactions: JWB and rtn001
R

Redwng

Jun 25, 2018
St. Cloud, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I experienced the same issues when I use to ride there. Ocala is fine if your on a 4 wheeler or big bore sxs, not a p5. I've been riding in Osceola NF for several years now and the p5 does great there. I would try Osceola before I'd change my machine. It's a lot better place to ride in my opinion and it's free.
I live in Osceola County, where can you ride that is free?

Steve00

Steve00

Feb 15, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Well went back to 24s An added a dual snorkel kit to get some more air in the airbox. Noticed more horsepower and easier time getting through Sugar Sand Definitely an improvement. Now if I had a lot of flat trails I put the biggest tires I could But With the horsepower, I'm dealing with now with the p5 I'm staying on 24's. Can actually ride with my wife in the side by side. And be able to climb Hills better and go through Sugar Sand better. Not a lot of clearance, but the sacrifice works for me. I'm not a big mud guy. But all-in-all going from 26 to 24. I noticed a big difference in the Sugar Sand. And the duel snorkels notice, they even bigger difference getting more air in that are box.

Reactions: HiFive and 500oneer
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Well went back to 24s An added a dual snorkel kit to get some more air in the airbox. Noticed more horsepower and easier time getting through Sugar Sand Definitely an improvement. Now if I had a lot of flat trails I put the biggest tires I could But With the horsepower, I'm dealing with now with the p5 I'm staying on 24's. Can actually ride with my wife in the side by side. And be able to climb Hills better and go through Sugar Sand better. Not a lot of clearance, but the sacrifice works for me. I'm not a big mud guy. But all-in-all going from 26 to 24. I noticed a big difference in the Sugar Sand. And the duel snorkels notice, they even bigger difference getting more air in that are box.

Just curious, you didn't choke those pipes down did you? Never going smaller than 2"? I have dual's as well, made sure Y was 2" to two 1 1/2".

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Steve00, if the 24's work for ya, find a set of rear takeoffs from another P5 for the front. Flotation, flotation, flotation. You'd probably eventually like a quality 26x11 radial all the way around. No radials I know of in 25 or 26x12x12....

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
OK, hear me out..... I live in florida "LAND OF THE STINKY SUGAR SAND TRAILS >:-0 " Thats all I hit mainly. Went out to the Ocala Forest and went riding with wifey, When I hit sugar Sand trail DEEP sand the p5 would RPM too high in 3rd gear and I would MANUALLY shift to 4th then it would bog down but stay in 4th at lower rpm. I could run at way too high RPMS and stay in 3rd or run lower RPMS stay in 4th, I noticed when I stay in 4th and gun it in 4wd after a long run it will shift funny afterwards "like it would take LONGER to shift from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th after a long run in sugar sand struggling in 4th. (ONCE IT COOLED DOWN IT WOULD SHIFT NORMAL, WHY???) I have 26" sunF tires and 1.5 wheel spacers on all wheels, FYI I cant go TOO fast in 4th because the damn trails are SOOOOO bumpy & whoopy feel like I'd shake the machine apart AND I HAVE WALKER EVANS ON ITS AN IMPROVEMENT BUT.......

SOLUTION: Going to go back to a 24" tire to regain some HP in 4th gear to help running with a partner! MAYBE IT WILL ALLOW HIGHER RPMS IN 4TH WHILE RUNNING IN SUGARSAND???

Plz help, Opinions?
Lower air pressure=bigger footprint n better flotation. Takes less horsepower in sand. Try 4 psi front n 4.5 in rear.

Reactions: J80 and rtn001
HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
I just added a snorkel too and I run 24 oem and have no problem in sugar sand with wife on board. p5 has no problem in Ocala sugar sand run in lower gear when needed then put the pedal to the metal. With all the water on the trails this year hoping the snorkel will allow me to enjoy my p5 a lot more.

Reactions: J80 and Montecresto
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!