GPS question

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Been kicking around the idea of getting a handheld gps. I figured yall might have some good info. Im not really a technical person so if yall start talking about gigabytes and crazy stuff like that I aint gonna know what youre talking about. Im not interested in a GPS that has preloaded maps, and it expects you to follow a map. If it has them, thats fine, thats just not the part of it Im interested in. Heres the scenario: I unload the sxs's off of the trailer, pull out the handheld GPS and mark where the truck and trailer are. We start riding trails, drinking beers, having fun, etc...several hours go by and its time to go back to the truck. I wanna be able to pull up a screen on the GPS and it shows me where Im at, and where the truck is at. Maybe have a little highlighted line that I can follow back because its been tracking where I have been going all day. I dont really want to have to pull the GPS out everytime I turn a corner in the woods and input that Im turning, or mark a 'waypoint' if thats what its called. The more simple it is to use, the better. Waterproof is a must. Maybe something that can also be charged from the 12v outlet in the sxs if the battery gets low. Bonus if it can also be used on my boat for coming back to the ramp at night instead of constantly using the spotlight. Not looking for a tablet, just one about the size of a smartphone. It will get muddy, and wet, and banged around. Any input and opinions are welcome. Sorry if this subject has been beat to death already.

Reactions: Backwoods
farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think a lot of Guys are using (Lifetime Trail Maps) with Samsung tablet, which sounds like a very good option and it has many trails already downloaded, I personally have a IPad mini with Gaia maps app, You can pre download maps in the areas You are going to be in and use those maps offline when You are riding You can leave a trail of everywhere you go (a popcorn trail per say) it works very well for me, You have to have an IPad that has cell because the cell IPad has built in GPS but You do not have to have cell service, I also have a Bad Elf unit that works good to help with GPS signals when in remote areas, it is linked to the iPad to give the iPad a better GPS signal off line in remote areas, most tablets that have GPS relay on cell tower signals for GPS location but the Bad Elf gets its signal directly from satellite, hope that helps some , I am sure someone better versed than me will chime in ,,,, Good Luck,,,,

Reactions: JTW
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Been kicking around the idea of getting a handheld gps. I figured yall might have some good info. Im not really a technical person so if yall start talking about gigabytes and crazy stuff like that I aint gonna know what youre talking about. Im not interested in a GPS that has preloaded maps, and it expects you to follow a map. If it has them, thats fine, thats just not the part of it Im interested in. Heres the scenario: I unload the sxs's off of the trailer, pull out the handheld GPS and mark where the truck and trailer are. We start riding trails, drinking beers, having fun, etc...several hours go by and its time to go back to the truck. I wanna be able to pull up a screen on the GPS and it shows me where Im at, and where the truck is at. Maybe have a little highlighted line that I can follow back because its been tracking where I have been going all day. I dont really want to have to pull the GPS out everytime I turn a corner in the woods and input that Im turning, or mark a 'waypoint' if thats what its called. The more simple it is to use, the better. Waterproof is a must. Maybe something that can also be charged from the 12v outlet in the sxs if the battery gets low. Bonus if it can also be used on my boat for coming back to the ramp at night instead of constantly using the spotlight. Not looking for a tablet, just one about the size of a smartphone. It will get muddy, and wet, and banged around. Any input and opinions are welcome. Sorry if this subject has been beat to death already.
Is your phone out of the question? I use my phone for the exact reason u r asking about. I pin where I start and it tracks where I go, when I want to head back I can back track on gps or find a different way but it shows me where truck is at. I have a water proof case for it. Rare occasions it looses signal but that can hapen with tablet also. Other then that I dont really know much about gps' units either 🤷‍♂️

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
If you're going for a hand held, I have a Garmin Montana 610 in camo that I'm selling. Waterproof, preloaded with maps of 13 states. It can do exactly what you're wanting to do, mark the waypoint at the trailhead and it will just crumbtracker wherever you go. Will record any trail you ride and will stay on the map for next time. Also has a lockable powered cradle for it that hooks up to a RAM ball, hardwired so it's always charged.
The only reason I'm getting rid of it is I went to a tablet, bigger screen. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Glovebox

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'd recommend a Garmin handheld, the Montana is a really nice unit, even one of the Garmin Etrex ones would do what you want. I used one on my sleds for years, basic no frills but very accurate.

Last edited:
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Is your phone out of the question? I use my phone for the exact reason u r asking about. I pin where I start and it tracks where I go, when I want to head back I can back track on gps or find a different way but it shows me where truck is at. I have a water proof case for it. Rare occasions it looses signal but that can hapen with tablet also. Other then that I dont really know much about gps' units either 🤷‍♂️
Ive downloaded a few gps apps but didnt like them. I was thinking a real deal gps might be more user friendly and free my phone up for filming. Yes, I have a go pro type camera, but its too confusing to use and try to download and upload and all that crap.
If you're going for a hand held, I have a Garmin Montana 610 in camo that I'm selling. Waterproof, preloaded with maps of 13 states. It can do exactly what you're wanting to do, mark the waypoint at the trailhead and it will just crumbtracker wherever you go. Will record any trail you ride and will stay on the map for next time. Also has a lockable powered cradle for it that hooks up to a RAM ball, hardwired so it's always charged.
The only reason I'm getting rid of it is I went to a tablet, bigger screen. Shoot me a PM if interested.

View attachment 185308
Let me do some research on this unit youre talking about @trigger Thank you

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Ive downloaded a few gps apps but didnt like them. I was thinking a real deal gps might be more user friendly and free my phone up for filming. Yes, I have a go pro type camera, but its too confusing to use and try to download and upload and all that crap.

Let me do some research on this unit youre talking about @trigger Thank you
Check out Garmin Basecamp, it's a free download to your laptop, you can connect your GPS to it and create new routes, add waypoints or upload the data from your GPS and see where you've been. I have my Garmin's loaded with VV Mapping maps for snowmobile/ATV maps and just loaded the maps for Eastern Appalachia (RRB, Windrock, etc).

Garmin

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Check out Garmin Basecamp, it's a free download to your laptop, you can connect your GPS to it and create new routes, add waypoints or upload the data from your GPS and see where you've been. I have my Garmin's loaded with VV Mapping maps for snowmobile/ATV maps and just loaded the maps for Eastern Appalachia (RRB, Windrock, etc).

View attachment 185445
Sounds kinda technical, but when I get one I will check it out. Thanks man

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just use an old smartphone running Android and use the app Oruxmaps. Would do everything you mentioned for free. Phone don't need activated at all, internal gps chip in phone works just like a handheld gps. And you can load maps, trails if you decide to.

Any Samsung Galaxy S6 or newer would have a great GPS chip for tracking. Would look similar to this.
Screenshot 20200220 111037 Lifetime Trailmaps

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Just use an old smartphone running Android and use the app Oruxmaps. Would do everything you mentioned for free. Phone don't need activated at all, internal gps chip in phone works just like a handheld gps. And you can load maps, trails if you decide to.

Any Samsung Galaxy S6 or newer would have a great GPS chip for tracking. Would look similar to this.
View attachment 185486

But nowhere close to waterproof. 🤨

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

View attachment 185486
Thats a smart idea!

Reactions: 906UP and DG Rider
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!