Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
ok, I know with all the gps’s that comes with most of our trucks, why do we need an external GPS? The answer is pulling an RV and the proper routs, gas stations and campgrounds and other amenities that our onboard gps’s Don’t do. I’ve spent countless hours planning my routes, trying to find the right gas stations for my rig and areas that my rig can and can’t go. (Very stressful at times) there nothing worse than following your google maps or what have you just to be routed into an area that’s not made for your rig in a Foreign place. So my question is what kind of RV GPS do you RVers use? I know nothing is fail safe but there is better out there! I’m thinking of the Garmin RV 660 LMT. There’s a 770 out there as well. There’s a lot of reviews good and bad and we all know we can spend days looking at that all to get air confused and your stuck standing there like the house on the side of the road. Thanks for your inputs.

Reactions: JACKAL
VenturaChuck

VenturaChuck

Apr 22, 2016
Ventura, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ok, I know with all the gps’s that comes with most of our trucks, why do we need an external GPS? The answer is pulling an RV and the proper routs, gas stations and campgrounds and other amenities that our onboard gps’s Don’t do. I’ve spent countless hours planning my routes, trying to find the right gas stations for my rig and areas that my rig can and can’t go. (Very stressful at times) there nothing worse than following your google maps or what have you just to be routed into an area that’s not made for your rig in a Foreign place. So my question is what kind of RV GPS do you RVers use? I know nothing is fail safe but there is better out there! I’m thinking of the Garmin RV 660 LMT. There’s a 770 out there as well. There’s a lot of reviews good and bad and we all know we can spend days looking at that all to get air confused and your stuck standing there like the house on the side of the road. Thanks for your inputs.
I have the Garmin RV 770 mounted on the dash of my Bounder 35E that tows my utility trailer for my P1k. I have a Garmin Zumo 660 mounted on the Pioneer. The Zumo shows all the USFS, BLM, etc trails that I have encountered. The lifetime map updates are great, too.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have the Garmin RV 770 mounted on the dash of my Bounder 35E that tows my utility trailer for my P1k. I have a Garmin Zumo 660 mounted on the Pioneer. The Zumo shows all the USFS, BLM, etc trails that I have encountered. The lifetime map updates are great, too.
How do u like the 770 for trailering and do u use an RV with that as well?
I have an older 6” Garmin with VVmaping for my P1K5 and it works well.

Reactions: Plumber32
VenturaChuck

VenturaChuck

Apr 22, 2016
Ventura, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How do u like the 770 for trailering and do u use an RV with that as well?
I have an older 6” Garmin with VVmaping for my P1K5 and it works well.
Hi Remington,

Per my first sentence, the Bounder tows my 14'x7' double axle utility trailer with the 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 on it. For day trips, I tow the trailer, with the 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 on it, with my Ford Explorer. The Garmin Zumo 660 was previously mounted on my Honda Gold Wing GL1800.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hi Remington,

Per my first sentence, the Bounder tows my 14'x7' double axle utility trailer with the 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 on it. For day trips, I tow the trailer, with the 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 on it, with my Ford Explorer. The Garmin Zumo 660 was previously mounted on my Honda Gold Wing GL1800.
I just didn’t know if you also used that with an RV as well, and utilized the maps for that and the other features heard towards RVing. Yes I did understand your first post.

Rayrule

Rayrule

Lifetime Member
Apr 1, 2017
Catskills Mts. NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use a Rand McNally (with lifetime upgrades) that I picked up from Campers World that was on sale a few years back & that works great for when I tow my Cyclone. You can enter the dimensions of your RV & it does a good job on keeping you off roads where you don’t fit (i.e. low bridges, etc.). It also has a lot of information loaded into it such as campgrounds, gas stations, etc..
Although mine is somewhat RV specific, another option would be picking one up from a Pilot, Loves or other big truck stops that would work as well for bigger vehicles.

Reactions: JTW and Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I use a Rand McNally (with lifetime upgrades) that I picked up from Campers World that was on sale a few years back & that works great for when I tow my Cyclone. You can enter the dimensions of your RV & it does a good job on keeping you off roads where you don’t fit (i.e. low bridges, etc.). It also has a lot of information loaded into it such as campgrounds, gas stations, etc..
Although mine is somewhat RV specific, another option would be picking one up from a Pilot, Loves or other big truck stops that would work as well for bigger vehicles.
That’s great info thanks.
I thought about that one as well. What is the model that you have?

Rayrule

Rayrule

Lifetime Member
Apr 1, 2017
Catskills Mts. NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a RVND 7725 w / 7” display. I am sure that the model has been upgraded. Mine is 3 years old. I bought it at a Good Sams Rally for $159 I think they were selling for $199 at the time.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use the Garmin InReach Explorer in conjunction with my IPad, in my truck/ Camper and when I go trail riding I switch it over to the P5. It’s gotten me into some deep backcountry and safely out again.
244CD6A2 FE9B 4A3A 88F0 9B03F964FA11
5C6BEFD2 40B8 4FAA BB62 8B70F2AD3C37

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Use a professional trucker GPS with lifetime updates. Every maker offers them, you set your height, width, length, and weight and it will only route you on truck routes your RV will fit.

dezl 770LMTHD | Semi Truck GPS | Garmin

Also download the apps for Pilot & TA there you can always get good clean fuel in a location big enough for your RV. Finally if you get a good Sam membership and the RV fuel card it is 8 cents per gallon off cash price at Pilot and Flying J. Additionally with that card the ones that do have dump station is only $5 vs. $8 normally.

Reactions: JTW and Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Use a professional trucker GPS with lifetime updates. Every maker offers them, you set your height, width, length, and weight and it will only route you on truck routes your RV will fit.

dezl 770LMTHD | Semi Truck GPS | Garmin

Also download the apps for Pilot & TA there you can always get good clean fuel in a location big enough for your RV. Finally if you get a good Sam membership and the RV fuel card it is 8 cents per gallon off cash price at Pilot and Flying J. Additionally with that card the ones that do have dump station is only $5 vs. $8 normally.
Sounds good thanks. I have that good sam membership and use that card often. I see that some of those gps’s have the ability to load up apps. I have those free apps on my phone, but would make it easier to see them directly on the gps without me getting the stink eye when my wife sees me looking at my phone lol

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@JACKAL would probably know or maybe @moparornocar with his semi....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I go to the same stores every week, I have a s***ty little garmin I haven’t used in 2 months. I don’t even know how to download anything on it

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use allstays in conjunction with google maps and a “next exit” book I keep in the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!