P1000 Grab bars for kids in the back seat?

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With higher trails opening up in the mountains and finally getting some windshield time in on the SxS I am in need of addressing the comfort of the kids in the back seat, and nothing is off the table. Went for a very scenic ride Saturday and had to stop every 5-10 minute to let the kids out to run around just to keep the complaining down. Finally let them ride up front with the wife and I took the back seat and my knee still hurts from banging on the front of the bed.

The only thing I have really done so far is to add a seat cushion, which helped a lot, but looking for some additional aid.

First up on the list is probably going to be some Elka shocks but that is going to be a few months out for delivery and only fix part of the problem.

Second is going to be rigging some grab bars as there is nothing back there my kids can hold onto over bumps. Debating something quick release that can stow out of the way, foam padding for safety,... Anyone done anything like this? Would like some pictures to get the creative juices flowing.

Also debating some 4 point harness but going between a 40lb girl and a 280lb guy (me) might be outside of the adjustment range. Also use the back for hauling so can't have anything permanently installed back there.

If anyone has any other tips I am all ears. Booster seat didn't seem to work for us but I'll probably give that another go next time out.

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc
I

Ingfam

Apr 13, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
bibmtnrider, I found this from RAD customs. you may want to look into this I just found them and I'm going to try these.
At least it something to look into. Good luck

Reactions: Lady01
C

Cousincraig

Apr 11, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Following, I can fit car seat in front with ratchet straps, back seat is tougher to get fit I want with car seat. Also looking for more comfortable ride for wife when in back.

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Following, I can fit car seat in front with ratchet straps, back seat is tougher to get fit I want with car seat. Also looking for more comfortable ride for wife when in back.
With a seat pad I think I can get the booster seats in there but need to ratchet them into place so they slide around on every bump. Still haven't had time to try that out but haven't seen any good anchor points to really secure in a booster seat.

I am not really interested in the RAD customs brackets since I used the bed for hauling a fair amount and don't want to tie the back up with RZR seats.

At this point I have pretty well decided on some new shocks to try to soften the ride. There is really no escaping rocks in the Rocky Mountains. Still torn between Elka and Fox though.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@RB3offroad might have some grab bars

C

Cousincraig

Apr 11, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I should look into shocks. I will take some pics of how I attached ratchet straps to car seat buckle. Take out bolt on seat belt anchors attach right to that. Seat belt still works fine, then ratchet strap just always in there to.

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
I should look into shocks. I will take some pics of how I attached ratchet straps to car seat buckle. Take out bolt on seat belt anchors attach right to that. Seat belt still works fine, then ratchet strap just always in there to.
@Cousincraig you have those pics?

05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These might be a good start for grab handles. I am debating these for my 5 seater. I will have to fabricate a hinge on them in line with the door hinges.

Screenshot 20210913 203652 Chrome

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd be inclined to try memory foam cushions. If you're going to make your own, get extra firm (green). It'll be hard at first, especially in cold weather, but quickly warms and contours to the body. In aviation, it's sometimes referred to as NASA foam. Aside from it's ability to conform to your body for comfort and support, it also absorbs impact energy and then does not immediately rebound to further reduce energy that would be put back into the body - working like a shock absorber. They sell automotive memory foam cushions on-line, though I don't have experience with them.

advertisement
SP82

SP82

Jan 21, 2021
CA
If your kids are that little you need 4 points. My youngest is over 70 lbs and I can pull him out of the back seat with the oem belts. In a rollover they can for sure come loose. Saw it happen in a razor 800 a few years ago. Luckily only scrapes and bruises (rolled at less 10mph) I put the brick city fab harness bar in the front and used the oem seats for my harnesses. Aces racing belts. Put my little one up front in the middle and my older two out back. Wife drives I’m usually on a bike. I can still fold my seats down if needed just have to arrange the belts real quick while you lay the seats down. I can post pics if you need em. There on here somewhere as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

C

Cousincraig

Apr 11, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your kids are that little you need 4 points. My youngest is over 70 lbs and I can pull him out of the back seat with the oem belts. In a rollover they can for sure come loose. Saw it happen in a razor 800 a few years ago. Luckily only scrapes and bruises (rolled at less 10mph) I put the brick city fab harness bar in the front and used the oem seats for my harnesses. Aces racing belts. Put my little one up front in the middle and my older two out back. Wife drives I’m usually on a bike. I can still fold my seats down if needed just have to arrange the belts real quick while you lay the seats down. I can post pics if you need em. There on here somewhere as is.

I would like to see thanks. My kids are small now don’t take them on any trails just roads. That ratchet strap is for the car seat not the kid ha

Reactions: Smitty335
SP82

SP82

Jan 21, 2021
CA
Here’s pics of my harnesses. Full disclosure I just copied someone else’s idea from this forum. You’ll need to remove the oem seat belts and replace the bolts with some 7/16 fine thread bolts. Local hardware store worked out fine for me. Some misc washers and I used nylock nuts on the backs to make sure they don’t back out.
C42aed268b110bdaaffe9c64303c9bc7
Acfd151deade4b12fe1ebde60f07c469

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!