Greetings from a new member who also needs advice.

like2be

like2be

Sep 26, 2019
Socal
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hello, I'm like2be

Just purchased the 2019 Talon 1000R a week ago. So far I'm delighted with it even though I haven't had a chance to use it yet but it looks like Honda did a nice job. I will be replacing a 2005 Mossy Oak Sportsman 700 EFI AWD and it's big brother a 2006 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI AWD. Both have been great and barely used. They're both still in great condition with very low mileage.
When I picked up the Talon I purchased the 40" LED light bar along with the required sub harness. As you might imagine the install wasn't that difficult because it's basically a plug and play deal with exception of maybe the light bar itself which took a little more time measuring and some added patience lining up the hardware. Unfortunately now that I have it all installed I can't get it to turn on and I'm kinda stuck wondering what could be the problem. I've double checked everything including the instructions, all of the connections, connectors, fuses, the battery and lead connections as well. One thing that I noticed while checking the fuses in the fuse box was that all of the fuses are in working order and all have power coming to them except for the #3 10amp from the right side of the fuse box. Does anyone know what this fuse is for and if this is correct? If you are familiar with this set up and could lend a suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated. Hope to s
20191002 1631001
ee you out there soon and thanks in advance for any help you can provide... I.C

Here is a little info about me to begin with!
Honda SxS ownership : Yes, this is my first.
I have owned, or currently own the following: UTV, ATV, Motorcycle
My off-road experience level is: Ez-Rider
My favorite place to ride is: sand near an ocean

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from the Midwest. Enjoy your new Honda. I don’t know much about the talons but double check you switch and if all else fails get a couple jumper wires and power the light bar from a battery (isolate it from the switch). Good luck

Reactions: ohanacreek
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
What's the fuse description on top of the cover?

Find a cigarette phone charger and see if you have power in the accessory socket. This same circut powers the relay on the wire harness.

Ok. Thanks.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Hello, I'm like2be

Just purchased the 2019 Talon 1000R a week ago. So far I'm delighted with it even though I haven't had a chance to use it yet but it looks like Honda did a nice job. I will be replacing a 2005 Mossy Oak Sportsman 700 EFI AWD and it's big brother a 2006 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI AWD. Both have been great and barely used. They're both still in great condition with very low mileage.
When I picked up the Talon I purchased the 40" LED light bar along with the required sub harness. As you might imagine the install wasn't that difficult because it's basically a plug and play deal with exception of maybe the light bar itself which took a little more time measuring and some added patience lining up the hardware. Unfortunately now that I have it all installed I can't get it to turn on and I'm kinda stuck wondering what could be the problem. I've double checked everything including the instructions, all of the connections, connectors, fuses, the battery and lead connections as well. One thing that I noticed while checking the fuses in the fuse box was that all of the fuses are in working order and all have power coming to them except for the #3 10amp from the right side of the fuse box. Does anyone know what this fuse is for and if this is correct? If you are familiar with this set up and could lend a suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated. Hope to sView attachment 158870 ee you out there soon and thanks in advance for any help you can provide... I.C

Here is a little info about me to begin with!
Honda SxS ownership : Yes, this is my first.
I have owned, or currently own the following: UTV, ATV, Motorcycle
My off-road experience level is: Ez-Rider
My favorite place to ride is: sand near an ocean
Welcome to the Club from ND:cool: not sure if this is the issue but from a quick search looks like you may need more parts...
E48B1271 A8C6 433E 96E6 13D0984C4B1D

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I assumed this was the harness he mentioned.
Yeah I was thinking it could have been, but thought he’ll you never know...might as well throw it out there for discussion!

like2be

like2be

Sep 26, 2019
Socal
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the welcome and advice so far. The light bar came with it's own switch and power harness also had to install main sub harness that was required to bring battery power from the battery to the relay and 5 pwr plugs behind the switch plate. Power to the 12v is there. There isn't power being delivered to the switch however and the volt meter isn't working properly either. All connections are good. The fuse that has no power is designated 10A START. Could one of the Honda factory harnesses be bad?

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the welcome and advice so far. The light bar came with it's own switch and power harness also had to install main sub harness that was required to bring battery power from the battery to the relay and 5 pwr plugs behind the switch plate. Power to the 12v is there. There isn't power being delivered to the switch however and the volt meter isn't working properly either. All connections are good. The fuse that has no power is designated 10A START. Could one of the Honda factory harnesses be bad?
Anything is possible! But it sounds like your 12v constant should be a fused connection to the battery and I would guess that there should be 12 v switch power which most likely should be the power supplied by the Honda harness. It’s hard to tell but maybe if you post a few pictures it could help us in troubleshooting

Last edited:
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from the mud holes of 716! The guys here will help you figure out your problem and help you spend more moolah. :D
[HASHTAG]#ntc[/HASHTAG]

Reactions: Backwoods
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Welcome from The Great Lakes State :cool:

[HASHTAG]#NTC[/HASHTAG]

Last edited:
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome to the forum from Central Texas

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Does the 5 white connectors have hot with key on?

If the 10a start has no power then it will not crank. Does it?

So the 5 white plugs for the swirch panel come from the relay. The relay had a power and a ground line to the battery and a trigger wire that connects to the back side of the cigarette scoket.

If this is not correct you will not have power to the 5 white connectors with the key on.

It's a simple system.
Something is just not right.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing
like2be

like2be

Sep 26, 2019
Socal
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks all, and Hondasxs to answer your questions; NO power at the 5 accessory plugs or the switch/fuse on the harness behind the switch plate. I also swapped out the orig. relay but that didn't help either.

like2be

like2be

Sep 26, 2019
Socal
Ownership

1. Talon R
I forgot to mention that even though the 10A START fuse is remains DEAD there are no starting problems.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
WELCOME!

like2be

like2be

Sep 26, 2019
Socal
Ownership

1. Talon R
I asked the dealer if they would order another battery harness so I will go there tomorrow to swap them out. They're suggestion/solution so far makes no sense to me after spending several hundred $$ as they suggest I bypass the extra sub harness and just wire into a tail light and not worry about it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!