ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’d like to ride in one that has them because I have not driven a half ton that uses airbags. I use an additional spring in the rear spring pack right now to compensate.

I just loaded for a 10 hour round trip and the work load isn’t like hauling the pioneer or similar load, I can’t get it centered because of the total length. It’s not bad at all but when I’m hauling a load in the bed full of stuff and the tongue weight of the trailer my truck does squat quite a bit. Just wondering if bags are worth it to me as I’ve not NEEDED them yet.

View attachment 124528

When we haul this load in a different truck, the top heavy load we have will push down and lift up on the truck when stopping and starting. It’s not bad like we are in 3/4 ton load territory but I’m picky about the load balance and handling so it’s something I pay a lot of attention to. Also curious if bags would help this.

The only time I’ve experienced driving with air bags was snuffs truck and that huge trailer. I’m sure we put too much air in the bags because it ride absolutely terrible. I think it got better after he let some out.

Llt too much out remember and it started to squat but rode smoother.

I’d definitely invest in the onboard compressor.

Last edited:
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’d like to ride in one that has them because I have not driven a half ton that uses airbags. I use an additional spring in the rear spring pack right now to compensate.

I just loaded for a 10 hour round trip and the work load isn’t like hauling the pioneer or similar load, I can’t get it centered because of the total length. It’s not bad at all but when I’m hauling a load in the bed full of stuff and the tongue weight of the trailer my truck does squat quite a bit. Just wondering if bags are worth it to me as I’ve not NEEDED them yet.

View attachment 124528

When we haul this load in a different truck, the top heavy load we have will push down and lift up on the truck when stopping and starting. It’s not bad like we are in 3/4 ton load territory but I’m picky about the load balance and handling so it’s something I pay a lot of attention to. Also curious if bags would help this.

The only time I’ve experienced driving with air bags was snuffs truck and that huge trailer. I’m sure we put too much air in the bags because it ride absolutely terrible. I think it got better after he let some out.
Even with my toyhauler I'm around 2000lb tounge weight. I run about 40 psi. With my new setup 25 is perfect. On board is a must imop. Hit a button adjust on the fly. I've hauled a 20' enclosed with my Harley in it in a Chevy 1500 and it was squirly. The bags obviously level but it eliminates any side to side drama from cross winds and semi's passing.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My brother in law has bags on his 2018 F-150 and it rides rough as hell to me. At what weight do you think you need bags? If your trailer is loaded properly do you still needs bags? Just wondered, I've never saw a need.
In a 1500 I'd guess at 600lbs of payload they really start to shine.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Even with my toyhauler I'm around 2000lb tounge weight. I run about 40 psi. With my new setup 25 is perfect. On board is a must imop. Hit a button adjust on the fly. I've hauled a 20' enclosed with my Harley in it in a Chevy 1500 and it was squirly. The bags obviously level but it eliminates any side to side drama from cross winds and semi's passing.
That’s exactly my situation as well. The leveling out is great for your drivetrain to keep the proper angles of your driveshaft and axel Penion for less ware and tear in the long run . Not to mention the smother did you get. IMO it makes my SRW feel close to as stable as a duly in most cases.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
let some air out of bags when not loaded
I second that. If it’s a 3/4 or 1ton you can get by with noting in them when not hauling anything. Most 1/2 tons you may want about 5-10 psi cuz of the softness of a 1/2 ton spring and some applications require for the bump stop to be removed when installing bags and just a little bit of air in the bag will help just in case you hit the bump stops.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes. Keeping eyes out for that.
I see them from time to time, but they're all bunched up tiny lots typically. Waiting on a septic quote for property just north of Naples with two ponds and a creek on 8.5 acres. what about that one in St Maries for 91k with part on the river below?

advertisement
J

JTW

View attachment 124528

We’ll find out shortly!

J

JTW

My brother in law has bags on his 2018 F-150 and it rides rough as hell to me. At what weight do you think you need bags? If your trailer is loaded properly do you still needs bags? Just wondered, I've never saw a need.
I think letting the air out when it in use is the issue he has and why I went with the compressor... just figured I’d use them more that way. That’s the thing.. “needed” them? Prolly not for most applications and if you get your load right. But stability for the future enclosed was my biggest thought.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think letting the air out when it in use is the issue he has and why I went with the compressor... just figured I’d use them more that way. That’s the thing.. “needed” them? Prolly not for most applications and if you get your load right. But stability for the future enclosed was my biggest thought.
You walk away sometimes and it will let it out sounds like tire with a hole in it. Also compressor will top off a bag when you're driving scares you the 1st couple times

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FB IMG 1555877263314

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ang getting some good seat time in the Pioneer. Sure love that machine! Beat the piss out of it last night, still amazes me where a rig if that size gets into. While driving the Wolverine I had to follow through a couple sections of downed crap, pioneer does much better it that stuff.
I couldn’t get Ang out of it till after about 3am.
222DBAAC 35CE 4584 9DBF C99620104C3A
60FB4881 B3CC 47F3 9852 22A0AD6EE318

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!