DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
What I was thinking! HA! P1, Talon or other machine? The Turf mode on the P1 is great for yard work!
Unwilling to do the payment. And I kinda like 2 track in the yard.
Have you thought about the KRX? 😁 :cool:

View attachment 207232
If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would probably go get a krx and a Honda Pioneer 1000. So, technically, I have thought about it. Don't want the payment, and the KRX would require a new trailer, adding to the cost.
Because it’s the wrong choice!!
The "choice", really, is keeping the 500 or getting the 700. Is it still the wrong choice?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Unwilling to do the payment. And I kinda like 2 track in the yard.

If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would probably go get a krx and a Honda Pioneer 1000. So, technically, I have thought about it. Don't want the payment, and the KRX would require a new trailer, adding to the cost.

The "choice", really, is keeping the 500 or getting the 700. Is it still the wrong choice?
I would like to have a P5, the P7 doesn't interest me because of the Turf disengagement on the P1, we can turn circles in the yard and not tear up the turf, we use it a lot for yard work and find myself using it on the trails, tread lightly? Which the P5 does pretty much with out the turf mode.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I would like to have a P5, the P7 doesn't interest me because of the Turf disengagement on the P1, we can turn circles in the yard and not tear up the turf, we use it a lot for yard work and find myself using it on the trails, tread lightly? Which the P5 does pretty much with out the turf mode.
My p5 has been perfectly reliable and I have a lot of fun in it. That said, starting from scratch, there's absolutely no way I would buy one over a 700 unless I had trail restrictions.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My p5 has been perfectly reliable and I have a lot of fun in it. That said, starting from scratch, there's absolutely no way I would buy one over a 700 unless I had trail restrictions.
Can you explain the choice, just trail restrictions? The P7 's are great machines, if you are looking for more room, the P1 has a small third seat in the front for the kid, just think you should skip a size and go for the larger machine, the P7 or the P1 will be no where as maneuverable as a P5 in the tight woods, that's why I want one. A very good friend of mine has a P7-4 and when he has three other riders the rear frame is about 4 inches of the ground with the spring pre load maxed out to the stiffest setting. I can't take him on a lot of my normal trails I ride even after we installed the real skids, he gets hung up. Ok I'll shut up, the P7 is a lot safer than the P5 on off camber trails, but?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Can you explain the choice, just trail restrictions? The P7 's are great machines, if you are looking for more room, the P1 has a small third seat in the front for the kid, just think you should skip a size and go for the larger machine, the P7 or the P1 will be no where as maneuverable as a P5 in the tight woods, that's why I want one. A very good friend of mine has a P7-4 and when he has three other riders the rear frame is about 4 inches of the ground with the spring pre load maxed out to the stiffest setting. I can't take him on a lot of my normal trails I ride even after we installed the real skids, he gets hung up. Ok I'll shut up, the P7 is a lot safer than the P5 on off camber trails, but?
The larger size of the 700 provides better ride quality, and more difficult-terrain capability due to increased stability. Kind of like a 9/10ths 1000.
It also has a large dumping bed (an ACTUAL bed), and a receiver hitch you don't have to buy a special fairy hitch to use. Maintenance / service on the engine is much easier, since there's more room around it.
There is also a special lever on the dash that allows maximum traction without having to disassemble the front differential to install $500 worth of aftermarket parts.
I always felt that my 700 steered lighter than the 500 does, though that's not really a fair comparison since my 500 has wider tires on the front.

The one area where I think the 500 has it over the 7 is gearing. The 700 can really use lower gearing in certain geographical locations. I consider both of them to be about equally reliable, meaning significantly more than any other machine on the trail. The cost difference is just under $2000 for the 2 seater 700, which seems like an easy...But often overlooked choice.

advertisement
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The larger size of the 700 provides better ride quality, and more difficult-terrain capability due to increased stability. Kind of like a 9/10ths 1000.
It also has a large dumping bed (an ACTUAL bed), and a receiver hitch you don't have to buy a special fairy hitch to use. Maintenance / service on the engine is much easier, since there's more room around it.
There is also a special lever on the dash that allows maximum traction without having to disassemble the front differential to install $500 worth of aftermarket parts.
I always felt that my 700 steered lighter than the 500 does, though that's not really a fair comparison since my 500 has wider tires on the front.

The one area where I think the 500 has it over the 7 is gearing. The 700 can really use lower gearing in certain geographical locations. I consider both of them to be about equally reliable, meaning significantly more than any other machine on the trail. The cost difference is just under $2000 for the 2 seater 700, which seems like an easy...But often overlooked choice.

I may have missed this but what were your thoughts on the wolverine 700 or 850?

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Several of you gave "sad" emojis to my recent news of the P1k buy falling through. I appreciate the condolences guys.
TBH, I'm not all that bummed.

I was very on the fence about the 1K. I had PMed another member who has/had all 3 pioneers, and what he told me about his 1k (literally, an hour after putting the deposit down) just confirmed the bit of unease I kinda already had in the back of my head. As did several comments. At this point in life, I'm not interested in finishing what Honda started...even though it would have probably been absolutely fine.

I know the 700 about as well as a person can know it, and to be honest, I think I will be very content with this one (if i choose to pull the trigger) which wasn't always true...AT ALL, with my 1st. The high altitude issues won't be a part of each ride like they were back then...and if they do creep up, I have a plan😉. And I think the 2 seater helps a few of those issues I used to b**** about. And the 700 just seems like an old friend...
Well first of all, I never received a PM from you about my experience with all three Pioneers but I’ll let you know how I feel about it. The 1000 is a great machine, no it’s not perfect but it’s hands down the best of the three. If you have any more questions about the 1000, you know where to find me. 😂

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I may have missed this but what were your thoughts on the wolverine 700 or 850?
Funny you should ask, but I meant to mention that the 850 is a machine I would buy. Seems like nobody has one for sale around here except for the SE, which pushes too far into P1K price territory. The cheaper ones...maybe if I find one.
One issue with the current machine is that the cab, to me at least, is a step back. It's a 700 pioneer sized machine with a pioneer 500 sized cab (sorry, pissed-onHonda, but it's true). Not a huge deal, but an interesting decision. I also don't like the CVT machines constant RPM, but both of these wouldn't stop from getting one on the right deal.

The 1st Gen is a machine I probably should have bought, but just wasn't in the market at the time. Love the roomy cab, and just seemed like a great all around machine that got no respect because it didn't have 8000 hp. I'm Leary of a used machine, and they tend to have several thousand miles in these parts when they go up for sale.
Well first of all, I never received a PM from you about my experience with all three Pioneers but I’ll let you know how I feel about it. The 1000 is a great machine, no it’s not perfect but it’s hands down the best of the three. If you have any more questions about the 1000, you know where to find me. 😂
LOL...sorry! I kinda knew your position. The person I talked to...I could kinda tell he wasn't all that hot for the 1000 when he started talking about buying another 700.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Funny you should ask, but I meant to mention that the 850 is a machine I would buy. Seems like nobody has one for sale around here except for the SE, which pushes too far into P1K price territory. The cheaper ones...maybe if I find one.
One issue with the current machine is that the cab, to me at least, is a step back. It's a 700 pioneer sized machine with a pioneer 500 sized cab (sorry, pissed-onHonda, but it's true). Not a huge deal, but an interesting decision. I also don't like the CVT machines constant RPM, but both of these wouldn't stop from getting one on the right deal.

The 1st Gen is a machine I probably should have bought, but just wasn't in the market at the time. Love the roomy cab, and just seemed like a great all around machine that got no respect because it didn't have 8000 hp. I'm Leary of a used machine, and they tend to have several thousand miles in these parts when they go up for sale.

LOL...sorry! I kinda knew your position. The person I talked to...I could kinda tell he wasn't all that hot for the 1000 when he started talking about buying another 700.

Thanks for explaining. I was just curious

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

I wouldn’t worry about 708 with high miles. They are very cheap and easy to work on. Ours just fell apart, needs a tie rod end. Lol. First worn out part.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for explaining. I was just curious
Just for giggles, I did a search for x2s. 1 non XT-r in Phoenix at a dealer that won't deal for s***.
I wouldn’t worry about 708 with high miles. They are very cheap and easy to work on. Ours just fell apart, needs a tie rod end. Lol. First worn out part.
Still gotta find one for sale 1st. Like hens teeth here...

J

JTW

I agree.. and I owned 2 of aforementioned

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!