DrShotgun

DrShotgun

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2020
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok so I got my stuff from elkaholic last week. He mentions I need to cut the antenna shorter to hit the proper frequency. What is the best tool for the job? Grinder with a cutting wheel? Hand dikes? Portaband? Also I am not supposed to bunch my antenna wire up and need to keep it ran strait? Can I mount to the B pillar since I have cube lights on the rear too? Or should I run it to the rear pillar? TIA

edit my radio is GMRS

Last edited:
Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi guys. I’m extremely new to Ham radios. I did my test this past Sunday. Anyway. I have a tyt th-8600 installed in the 1000-5 with a BR-136 that I purchased from Offroad communications (Elkaholic) has be awesome to deal with. I figured I should bug other people with questions then just him 😂. Pic attached is my antenna install. As Elkaholic warned me about when I turn on rear lights I can not receive transmissions. Witch I figured would be manageable however, when I turn in 50” light bar on front of the rig it stops receiving as well. Any idea on different mounting locations and as to why it cuts out with lights on?

Thanks in advance Props

View attachment 263940
You should be listed on the FCC data base by now, what's your call sign?

Ki5iJQ

#NTC

Reactions: Biteme and Lady01
thashane

thashane

Lifetime Member
Oct 19, 2020
norCa
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hey brother of the air ways, how would I know if my mic is bad? This past w/e in Mena, AR I could hear just fine but no one could hear me. How can I test it?
Switch mics? I don't know what radio you're using, but make sure it isn't automatically offseting, and that your transmit freq is good

Reactions: Biteme and Lady01
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hey brother of the air ways, how would I know if my mic is bad? This past w/e in Mena, AR I could hear just fine but no one could hear me. How can I test it?

Shoot me a PM. I’ll send out a replacement ....

When you key the mic, does the transmit light light up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Biteme and Haldog77
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Ok so I got my stuff from elkaholic last week. He mentions I need to cut the antenna shorter to hit the proper frequency. What is the best tool for the job? Grinder with a cutting wheel? Hand dikes? Portaband? Also I am not supposed to bunch my antenna wire up and need to keep it ran strait? Can I mount to the B pillar since I have cube lights on the rear too? Or should I run it to the rear pillar? TIA

edit my radio is GMRS

Better to put it on the B pillar. Run the wiring as convoluted a path as possible.

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Shoot me a PM. I’ll send out a replacement ....

When you key the mic, does the transmit light light up?

elkaholic, I had guys talking on the repeater and they did not answer me and my wife was listening on the handy talky and she didn't hear my call sign so it must be the mic. Ill PM you my info. thanks

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
elkaholic, I had guys talking on the repeater and they did not answer me and my wife was listening on the handy talky and she didn't hear my call sign so it must be the mic. Ill PM you my info. thanks
I had to replace my TYT 8600 mic after 13 months.

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
View attachment 237919
View attachment 237920
Today's work in progress. FRS/GMRS Channels all reach out 3+ miles clearly, from home on today's testing.
FYI, the Honda roll bar mount does not play well with the Super ATV Flip out windshield.
Won't open - work in progress.
Very nice. What product did you use to attack your FRS?GMRS radio to the ROPS bar? Are you happy with the product?
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Smitty335
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Very nice. What product did you use to attack your FRS?GMRS radio to the ROPS bar? Are you happy with the product?
Thanks in advance.
If I can chime in, those are the Honda ROPS quick clamps, not seeing which size Pioneer you have so when shopping be aware the diameters are model specific. Found a second power plug for moving the tyt-8600 radio to other vehicles.

Reactions: CID
Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If I can chime in, those are the Honda ROPS quick clamps, not seeing which size Pioneer you have so when shopping be aware the diameters are model specific. Found a second power plug for moving the tyt-8600 radio to other vehicles.

Thanks Mudder. What I mentioned are the Garmin ROPS clamps - only go 1.5". I checked with Garmin. I thought I could use those for my GMRS radio frame but they will not clamp on a Honda tbe - diamers 2.0". I have the power plug solved, I just need to mount in high in the cab since raidio electronics, for the most part, are not waterproof. Hope this helps. Thanks again.

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

So mudder are you saying he used these cam lock clamps? Then attahed the radio mount frame to the hold in the bottom of these clamps? Thanks agian

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!