Happy my heater has arrived. W/PICTURES

S

Shane

Jan 1, 2014
Good luck it took many hrs. The reward is not good. It doesn't warm up unless I idle it for long time . Then it cools down If I take off on road. I guess have to block off the rad.

TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
Shane, Mine is doing the same thing. I have an air bubble that I have to get out. I'm sure that is what you have going on also.

S

Shane

Jan 1, 2014
daberry said:
Gave the heater a better test today. 15 degrees F, Had plenty of heat even my wife was happy with it. It does take a few minutes to warm up but that is a function of the engine heating up. I was even driving it without any gloves on which seems pretty good to me.
Mine warms up if I let idle takes long to warm lower rad hose. Then if take it on road it cools down. I wonder if there is a thermostat in it . If so I can't find anything in own manual. Did u block off rad to keep warm . I'm impressed by the amount of air the blower puts out. Let me know how ur gettin to warm up.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
I blocked my radiator with a cut piece of cardboard to help retain heat. I popped 3 of the plastic rivets out of the panel on the top of radiator/body plastic, and slide a cut/shaped piece down the front of radiator.

Mine retains heat fine now once it gets warm- but it does take a good 10-15 minutes of idling, it does of course warm up faster if driving.

D

daberry

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 4, 2013
Kansas
Shane, I did not block my radiator. Getting plenty of heat, just takes a bit to warm up. Dale

TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
Shane, I just called the dealer to see about getting out the air pocket/bubble. Was told to remove the radiator cap and jack the frt of the unit up in the air and let it sit. I'm going to try this tonight. That is why your hose is not getting hot and the heater isn't working correct as far as get the hot air.

S

Shane

Jan 1, 2014
TandT said:
Shane, Mine is doing the same thing. I have an air bubble that I have to get out. I'm sure that is what you have going on also.

Yeh I figured the same thing, but brought temp gauge up to operating temp twice and let cool down. Took only few ounces of anti freeze. It did blow warm air once.

S

Shane

Jan 1, 2014
binfordw said:
I blocked my radiator with a cut piece of cardboard to help retain heat. I popped 3 of the plastic rivets out of the panel on the top of radiator/body plastic, and slide a cut/shaped piece down the front of radiator.

Mine retains heat fine now once it gets warm- but it does take a good 10-15 minutes of idling, it does of course warm up faster if driving.
Yep that's what I'm gonna do also . I sent my wife off to test it for a 4 mile snow ride it never warmed. She wasn't impressed. My shop was warm so I didn't go. Lol Thanks we need to remember to to pull our air blocks off when spring shows. Thanks again.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
There's so many different places that air blows in that need to be sealed up. BTW. The thermostat thats in the pioneer is 180 degree one. Just to maybe help you out here's some places that you need to stop cold air. Around the steering wheel,around the display[speedometer] around the shift levers,around the e-brake lever, every seam on every body panel joint inside the cab, Around the roll bar to the dash, panel, under the seat on each side were the factory door latch is,around the fuel tank filler neck,around the seat especially at the back were the tabs go through the back.under the seat .Anyplace air blows in while you drive cools off the cab. Doesn't matter how good the heater is you have to stop the cold air comming in.It's like opening a window on your car or truck while driving your not going to warm up the cab.

TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
Shane I jacked the front up as far as I could, The rad cap was the highest point. I removed the radiator cap and let it run about 30 minute, could not believe the air that was coming out. I topped off the radiator and installed the cap. Both hoses going into the blower started to get very hot. It was blowing very hot air. I shut it down and left it jacket up, so I'll test it again tomorrow night. So Far so good!

advertisement
S

Shane

Jan 1, 2014
TandT said:
Shane, I just called the dealer to see about getting out the air pocket/bubble. Was told to remove the radiator cap and jack the frt of the unit up in the air and let it sit. I'm going to try this tonight. That is why your hose is not getting hot and the heater isn't working correct as far as get the hot air.
Let me know. Thanks

S

Shane

Jan 1, 2014
Sounds good. I will try that tomorrow. Thanks Tandt

TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
Did a quick test last night, still cold air blowing. Didn't have much time, had a meeting to go to and the same for tonight. Hopefully I can check it Thursday evening. I know there still is an air pocket in it. I can tell by the heater hose. Once all the air is out I know it will be just fine. As it was blowing VERY HOT AIR OUT the other night. But it had ran for about 30 minutes in the shop. It's getting there, Like a fine wine, Just takes time!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
TandT,
Do you still think there is air in it? Winch that sucker to a tree and raise it up. Then you will know its out.

TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
Planning on doing that tomorrow night again.

S

Shane

Jan 1, 2014
Yeh it's not fun. I winched mine up to top of hoist all of 2 nites. Don't work. We will post pics in a bit of how I cured it . Been busy last few. Days or would have helped u.

S

Shane

Jan 1, 2014
Here is how I finally cured the air lock....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    702.4 KB · Views: 359
TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
P2130936 zpsa9d4ebfd
Ok, These is what I did. Jacked this thing up as far as I could with the jack, Let it run for about 30 minutes with the radiator cap off and gave it some gas now and than saw the air bubbles coming out till I saw no more topped it off than installed the cap and let it set. All seems to be good now, Just takes time to warm up, but when it does there is Hot air blowing

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
To everyone who is having problems with installing there heater and bleeding all the air out. Not sure how the heater sits in the Pioneer but if the heater core or the upper heater hose is above the Rad cap the following is what others do and more then likely what you'll have to do. I've scanned this from some of my stuff so hopefully it will help.

Attachments

• heater bleeder (Small).gif
    heater bleeder (Small).gif
    89.8 KB · Views: 331
  • Bleeding air (Small).gif
    Bleeding air (Small).gif
    59.7 KB · Views: 330
H

Hondaholic4

Jan 14, 2014
I bought my heater when i got my pioneer 12-26-13 and got it a few weeks ago. It never worked right even though it was installed by my Honda dealer, they have it now for the third time and have had the district manager look at it. They replaced the "T" with a "Y" for better coolant flow and added a filler/bleeder at the highest point (top hose of heater) to get all of the air out and THEY are not satisfied with it's performance. I was told it is an engineering issue that has to be worked out by HONDA. I know this dosent help us fix the problem but I wanted to pass along what i've been told by my Honda dealer to the ones that have been doing their own work.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!