P1000m5 Hard Enclosure Heat & Dust

C

csomerton54

Sep 2, 2018
Canada-Newfoundland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys, first post for me.

I recently purchased a new 1000-5 c/w hard enclosure, full windshield, hard mid panel, soft rear doors, heater, winch and soft rear panel.

Coming from a Kawasaki Teryx 4, I had high hopes for my Honda. To date, I love the drive of the machine however the poor accessories and the excessive heat and dust are tough to accept.

Specifically, the heat in the middle/ passenger side (seat and in between bench cushions). I have the comfort kit installed, however the heat is still too excessive to put my kids in there for a long period of time. I have temporarily put some automotive windshield heat deflectors under the bench cushions to limit the heat. Also, the heat that rises behind the mid panel is like a blast furnace for anyone traveling in the rear.

On top of that, the dust in the rear seats is unbearable. It appears that there’s a large space (where a mud flap should be) in the rear doors. I don’t understand why these doors couldn’t be designed to be a tighter fit than the 2-3” void that’s there. With the existing negative pressure in the back seats, it just sucks the dust in from in under the doors. Dust is part of operating, however it’s too much for any passenger.

Any solutions for the heat and dust issues? Whether it be an after market product or something you’ve figured out yourself?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Eltobgi and BWAF
V

vogel3d

Oct 2, 2017
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've tried weather stripping, added rubber flaps down at the bottom of the doors. Nothing helps, mines for sale for this reason, no one will ride in the back of ours. Huge disappointment.

Reactions: BWAF
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Here are the things that helped with heat not on any specific order: and some pics below.

1. HMF muffler with no CAT. The catalytic converter radiates a lot of heat.

2. Power commander added to richen the fuel mix. Also got some added low end grunt.

3. 4” bilge fan pointed at the exhaust header.

4. Added duct work for the bilge fan that also doubles as a heat shield. This one helped the most combined with the fan.

5. Large one piece heat shield from seat bottom all the way up the back.

6. Dynomat heat and sound barrier under rear floor board and around engine compartment.

7. Honda OEM radiator heat deflector added in the front.

8. Dash cover around the shifters.

To help with dust: always ride in the front if you’re in a group and remove the windshield. The windshield creates a negative pressure zone which will suck the dust in. There are some things that do help with dust but nothing that really seems to be very significant. We just suck it up and ride with a dust mask and goggles because you’re not always going to be the only one out on the trail and sometimes dust is just part of being outdoors. By a jeep then you can expect a dust free ride.

Heat shield and duct for bilge fan
76308f2ea1e635728d501321977eb9f8

Heat/sound shield
41f1bc62a9224267658a546c44c4bfd0

Under seat bottom and back
33ccb9b005e35e865800ecf78e24d53a

This prevents the heat from the shifter holes
2640735606db98ac32b041da5d8a930d

I don’t have good pics of the bilge fan or radiator deflector. Other guys should have those.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As far as seat heat, there are definitely options to handle that. Many are putting bilge fans under the seat to blow the heat back and away. I know the routing is different between a 1K-3, and a 1K-5, but search here for seat heat.. you'll find lots of how-to's. It's too bad you have a heater, I'd bet that the cab would be plenty warm by reversing the fans and blowing the warm air from the motor inside.. that's what I'm going to do.

As far as the dust goes, I find it hard to believe that a properly placed seal around the bottom of the door wouldn't at least diminish the dust a lot, but I'm sure there are fixes for that here too.

Most of us don't run full cabs.. I run a half windshield, and I'm planning on removing that for next summer.

C

csomerton54

Sep 2, 2018
Canada-Newfoundland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've tried weather stripping, added rubber flaps down at the bottom of the doors. Nothing helps, mines for sale for this reason, no one will ride in the back of ours. Huge disappointment.
It’s too bad, I’m disappointed with it as well!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
195ish miles yesterday. Dust, mud and rain made an awesome day. No machine is perfect, just getting outdoors is the best part.
Where the hell did u go?

Reactions: joeymt33 and BWAF
advertisement
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Nice. We’ve road that area before. It’s close to our trails. Have to take Old State to get there. Your not supposed to ride the road trail tho lol. We road today to Atlanta by ourselves, knowbody wanted to come and ride this weekend. Was a nice day today the rain kept the dust down . We’re here all week.

Reactions: BWAF and tr005
tr005

tr005

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2017
Big Rapids, Mi.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice. We’ve road that area before. It’s close to our trails. Have to take Old State to get there. Your not supposed to ride the road trail tho lol. We road today to Atlanta by ourselves, knowbody wanted to come and ride this weekend. Was a nice day today the rain kept the dust down . We’re here all week.
Wanted to come up and see you guys but had things to do today and tomorrow only had yesterday to ride. Hope you have a good week up there.

Reactions: BWAF and Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Jesus Christ people..
agreed!
Like @joeymt33 said...it’s not a Jeep! All the things Joey stated is what we all found to work well. You can get by with the Bildge fan and an under seat barrier and some minor things like a half windshield for dust. Those full inclosures are for winter months, that’s when there effective on any machine not in the summer. If you serch the forum, you will find tons of threads or in most people’s garages on how to do these fairly en expensive mods. If you need some help on this just ask we don’t bite:)

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Wanted to come up and see you guys but had things to do today and tomorrow only had yesterday to ride. Hope you have a good week up there.
No worries bud. Figured you were busy. Your always welcome. It’s a tough weekend for most to do things.

Reactions: BWAF and tr005
J

JTW

agreed!
Like @joeymt33 said...it’s not a Jeep! All the things Joey stated is what we all found to work well. You can get by with the Bildge fan and an under seat barrier and some minor things like a half windshield for dust. Those full inclosures are for winter months, that’s when there effective on any machine not in the summer. If you serch the forum, you will find tons of threads or in most people’s garages on how to do these fairly en expensive mods. If you need some help on this just ask we don’t bite:)
Best thing is the SATV windshield..

C

csomerton54

Sep 2, 2018
Canada-Newfoundland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
agreed!

I agree, I spend as much time outdoors in the mud and dust as anyone! However some of these issues aren’t present (to this extent) in comparable Defenders or Rangers with full enclosures. Just a little disappointed with the high price tag for some of these generally minor issues.

Will try a few of your fixes and get back to you if I hit a roadblock. Thanks guys.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I agree, I spend as much time outdoors in the mud and dust as anyone! However some of these issues aren’t present (to this extent) in comparable Defenders or Rangers with full enclosures. Just a little disappointed with the high price tag for some of these generally minor issues.

Will try a few of your fixes and get back to you if I hit a roadblock. Thanks guys.
It is disappointing a bit. That said, you won’t find a better site and group of people that have ever found ways to rectify there minor issues and willing to help ;) haven’t seen that any place else. There’s a reason there’s so many members on here that still have and love this machine. Just be patient and you’ll get it figured out.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Am I to understand that you leave the full enclosure on in the summer????

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!