P500 Harness (seatbelt) recommendations

Cavediver

Cavediver

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2016
Seminole FL
Ownership

1. 500
Looking for harness recommendations on our P500. Would like to install a 4 or 5 point harness on the little P5 but overwhelmed with the selections. I'd like to keep the installation as clean as possible soooo need your recommendations.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking for harness recommendations on our P500. Would like to install a 4 or 5 point harness on the little P5 but overwhelmed with the selections. I'd like to keep the installation as clean as possible soooo need your recommendations.
A few questions please and I'll see what I can spec out for you.
Do you want a UTV/RZR style harness a la proarmor?
Do you want a legit racercar harness?
What style buckle do you want? Camlock or lever style?
Do you want 2" or 3" wide straps?
How do you plan to attach shoulder straps to your machine?
What year is your 500?

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
the best recomendation i could give is a PRP 3.2.5 or 2.3.5 i cant remember which. These are a 5 point harness that i highly recommend over a 4 point. with the sub belt you can actually tighten the harness how it is supposed to be without the lap belt being in your belly button. they also have a 3 inch lab belt to give you a secure feeling and 2 inch shoulder belts to help in the smaller vehicles. they come in Sewn together and individual belts. I like the individual belts because it gives me the freedom to just wear my lap belt and when the lever is pulled you can just stand up and they come apart. they take a little longer to put together when buckling in but once you get use to it it goes very quickly. i would avoid the seatbelt style latches if possible. once mud gets in them you never know if you can really clean them out again. PRP has a huge selection of everything you could imagine. i had both the 2 and 3" pro armor harness that are the most common and other than not having the sub belt they were just fine, but i love the PRPs.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Funny you posted, I ordered this one yesterday for another SxS. One of many google links.
Pro Armor 5Pt Harness 3" Pads A115230

D23812EE 807B 4000 9DF2 121E5A859551

Cavediver

Cavediver

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2016
Seminole FL
Ownership

1. 500
A few questions please and I'll see what I can spec out for you.
Do you want a UTV/RZR style harness a la proarmor?
Do you want a legit racercar harness?
What style buckle do you want? Camlock or lever style?
Do you want 2" or 3" wide straps?
How do you plan to attach shoulder straps to your machine?
What year is your 500?

I thinking a UTV/RZR type like a Proarmor
Racecar Nope, It’s a P500 and I’m Old
I believe a lever style buckle is most reliable
I feel considering the size of the cab that 2” shoulder and lap straps would be all you want
Attaching the system is where my OCD kicks in. The Lap belt should go easy into the original bungs but mounting the shoulder straps is keeping me awake at night (do I weld a bung on the roll bar or just run the strap around the bar)
2016 P500

Here is what I’m considering:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BZBBNCG/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Going racecar route gives lots more options, without too much extra expense.
I would suggest trying to find a belt setup that will allow you to pull the lap belt towards the steering wheel to tighten.
My biggest complaint with mine is having to pull down to tighten the lap belts. I don't feel like I can get them tight enough.

Try to find someone local to you with harnesses. I think originally had mine as 4 point but recently installed the submarine belt. I found that when I pulled the shoulders tight, the buckle would raise up to the bottom of my ribcage. The fifth belt will help keep the buckle low on my hips where it is designed to be.

Reactions: Cavediver
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lever lock vs camlock is preference. Camlock will work if it is dirty.

Cavediver

Cavediver

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2016
Seminole FL
Ownership

1. 500
the best recomendation i could give is a PRP 3.2.5 or 2.3.5 i cant remember which. These are a 5 point harness that i highly recommend over a 4 point. with the sub belt you can actually tighten the harness how it is supposed to be without the lap belt being in your belly button. they also have a 3 inch lab belt to give you a secure feeling and 2 inch shoulder belts to help in the smaller vehicles. they come in Sewn together and individual belts. I like the individual belts because it gives me the freedom to just wear my lap belt and when the lever is pulled you can just stand up and they come apart. they take a little longer to put together when buckling in but once you get use to it it goes very quickly. i would avoid the seatbelt style latches if possible. once mud gets in them you never know if you can really clean them out again. PRP has a huge selection of everything you could imagine. i had both the 2 and 3" pro armor harness that are the most common and other than not having the sub belt they were just fine, but i love the PRPs.
Oh Boy more selections and this goes straight to the top.
Thanks Beer Monkey
5.3x2 Harness | PRP Seats

Reactions: BeerMonkey
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
The metal bracket on the shoulder straps comes off, just rethread strap around ROPS.

Cavediver

Cavediver

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2016
Seminole FL
Ownership

1. 500
The metal bracket on the shoulder straps comes off, just rethread strap around ROPS.
Yes I know but the ones I have seen installed kind of looked crappy. I'm sure with a bit of cutting and tucking it could set up neatly.

J

JTW

So... I didn’t like the conventional harnesses. I felt too restricted and couldn’t reach around in the cockpit how I’d like. So I went with retractable harnesses. Have to do a little fab work but they’re awesome and would be even easier to put in a p500. If you’re considering and capable of doing a little welding and metal fab anyway.. these might be a good option for you. I love mine!

50142AF9 12A8 4AD0 885F D375808E8B56
02BF2884 421B 4745 A99F 0E75359225A1
68C3D5FA 7817 4147 AC00 53D63AE27492
4D33E387 4CDC 4B25 B90B 5028B8B17B77

T

Tommyp

Dec 2, 2017
Covington La
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ran fast dragster before getting out and bought P1000. Always had cam lock, lever type takes time to get all 5 pieces together. Also preferred cam lock buckle on sub belt rather than lap belt. They come both ways. They were all 3” belts except sub belt, it was 2”.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Watching to see how tidy the straps mount behind the seat. I am wanting a simple 4 point in a 2" wide. A 4 point is just enough to keep me from getting another neck burn when I fall over.

Cavediver

Cavediver

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2016
Seminole FL
Ownership

1. 500
So... I didn’t like the conventional harnesses. I felt too restricted and couldn’t reach around in the cockpit how I’d like. So I went with retractable harnesses. Have to do a little fab work but they’re awesome and would be even easier to put in a p500. If you’re considering and capable of doing a little welding and metal fab anyway.. these might be a good option for you. I love mine!

View attachment 117915 View attachment 117916 View attachment 117917 View attachment 117918
I did see your work on a different thread and really like them. Very nice job as they look like the factory "Should" have done this in the first place.

Reactions: JTW and Chooglin
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Retractable's are the only way to go IMO, especially in a P5. I put Pro Armor 4 points in mine and they sucked. Way too busy and cumbersome for the small interior. Too restrictive as well, found myself only using the lap belt most of the time. Ended up taking them out and going back to the factory belts. FWIW

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
3 inch pro armor harness arrived, did look too bulky so returning them.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
3 inch pro armor harness arrived, did look too bulky so returning them.
I had 2” pro armor for my p1. The 3” IS really wide but the 2” is just right. My lovely wife Is 110lbs 5’ nothing and she likes them. I have a set for my P5 that I’m going to install as well. Heaving them In is nice for jolts, roll overs and overall safety. Nothing like a lap belt shoulder burn/bruise from a jolt:eek: I think for some harnes or lap belts? Its a preference.

Reactions: Mudder
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 20190313 1606402
IMG 20190313 1607359

I am running full 3" 5 points. Only complaint is with the lap belts. When these expire, they will be the same except pull-up lap belts.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!