DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Someone mentioned zip-tying the doors open for heat reduction recently, and I had been thinking about removing them for hot weather. Tried the zip tie yesterday, and predictably, noticably cooler. What surprised me was the sound reduction. Not huge, but noticeable.

But...the doors obviously serve a safety function, so I'd like to keep them for that reason, and I use the nets as an arm rest. Tube doors would be nice...but probably $$$, if somebody actually makes them.

So I was wondering if anyone had tried trimming the recessed areas out of the stock doors?

Like this, but inside the lines...
20190825 111541

Is there foam in there? Would the door have enough rigidity without? Doors are only $50 each new (or $120 per pair, used on eBay...LOL).

Reactions: 500oneer
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Good thinking DG. I am using the bungee system which was @Mudder’s suggestion.

93ec08e533bbdcd8403720aefd7c3272

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Doors are hollow.
If you cut them I think they are double wall and then recessed areas do not pinch off.
So the bars would be 2 separate pieces.
This might be a little flimsy.
If you go this route, consider filling between the panels with foam to strengthen it a little.
(No idea if there is a black spray structural foam available, let us know if you go this route)

Somthing else I have seen is a latch that holds the door open a few inches to act as an air scoop.
With suicide doors this may offer more cool than a tube door. (I'm probably suposed to call it a "front opening door" or some other such politically correct nonsense).
Maybe you could rig up some wire form that replaces the current bolt on door side latch.
Small point of caution, I may or may not have seen this idea on a Yamaha patent so be carfule if your thinking of making it big selling these.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Doors are hollow.
If you cut them I think they are double wall and then recessed areas do not pinch off.
So the bars would be 2 separate pieces.
This might be a little flimsy.
I was concerned about that.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Reactions: lee