P500 Winch power control box question- Do you mount it outside the unit or extend the wires?

A

arachnyd

Feb 20, 2023
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
My winch power control box wires are literally 18" long. I'm not sure if thats normal or no, because the last winch I installedwas on my jeep and it had the winch control box ON the winch itself

Now the best place to put the electrical box would appear to be high above the water levels, in the front compartment. Thats where teh OEM winch box is. However. my jeephad it on the winch, so I could see installing it right on the winch plate in front of the radiator

Now do I:
1- Mount the winch control box next to the winch, in front of the radiator
or
2- extend the wires, and install it inside the front compartment?

IMG20230306081219

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My winch power control box wires are literally 18" long. I'm not sure if thats normal or no, because the last winch I installedwas on my jeep and it had the winch control box ON the winch itself

Now the best place to put the electrical box would appear to be high above the water levels, in the front compartment. Thats where teh OEM winch box is. However. my jeephad it on the winch, so I could see installing it right on the winch plate in front of the radiator

Now do I:
1- Mount the winch control box next to the winch, in front of the radiator
or
2- extend the wires, and install it inside the front compartment?

View attachment 377173
What winch did you buy? Those wires look small to me. They are usually like the width of your pinky.

A

arachnyd

Feb 20, 2023
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
What winch did you buy? Those wires look small to me. They are usually like the width of your pinky.
Its the predecessor to this one: 3500 lb. ATV/Powersport 12V Winch with Wire Rope

To say I've had it a while would be an understatement, I got it about 8 years ago and made the decision just to use it, and see how often I use it. If I use it a lot, maybe I'll upgrade. I always was told a winch should be able to pull 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle. The P500 is 1200 loaded up, maybe 1500 with me on it. 3500 should be good. I've got a snatch block if needed, which essentially brings the rating to 7000.

I am not a "major offroader" anymore (Used to ride quads / jeeps / Trucks a fair amount offroad), plan to head out a couple times a year- but do ride alone, so I have it to get myself out of a bind and potentially move obstacles/things on the farm... but again, I spent 8 years thinking I was going to install it on my previous rig and never did...

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Winch control box? I don't even know what that is, is that the solenoid? If so, yeah those look like baby wires. Either way, I'd mount it under the hood, usually up by the fire wall but it doesn't look like you have enough to do that. Hopefully the cables running back to the battery are beefier.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!