P500 have any 2018s had the silencer problem?

wolftrapper

wolftrapper

Dec 30, 2018
pierce, idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I had a 2015 with no issues so I picked up a 2018. Lately, its been bogging down on the top end randomly. Itll start out bogging and eventually clear up and run fine and then bog again. Even when I shift to a lower gear, full throttle will never rev the machine up. I added some injector cleaner and my last trip (10 miles or so) it seemed better but not completely. I keep reading about the exhaust problems but didnt know if itd been corrected in the 18s.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
What mods are on it? Did you snorkle it? Where have you been reading about exhaust problems, I'd like to read up on them. My 17 has no exhaust issues. The only exhaust maintenance Honda suggests is to remove the 1/2" bung and blow the carbon out occasionally.

Reactions: alloutdoors
wolftrapper

wolftrapper

Dec 30, 2018
pierce, idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I dont have any mods or a snorkel. Its all stock other than the tracks I run during the winter. Id seen where guys had a problem with a baffle in the silencer breaking loose and plugging the exhaust.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
I found those threads on the 500 muffler problems, that was the original builds and was cured in 2014, there have been no problems reported since, so your problem probably isn't the muffler. It sounds like condensation/water in your gas, I suspect the injector cleaner should have fixed that, but maybe not. I can recommend you try some gas line antifreeze next...

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I found those threads on the 500 muffler problems, that was the original builds and was cured in 2014, there have been no problems reported since, so your problem probably isn't the muffler. It sounds like condensation/water in your gas, I suspect the injector cleaner should have fixed that, but maybe not. I can recommend you try some gas line antifreeze next...
You Sure you aren't thinking of the 700? 500 didn't even come out until 2015 m/y.

The 700 had some early baffle issues, and guys who use them as submarines have issues with the pipes warping, but I've heard none of this about the 500.

C

Chooglin

I would do as @70Bones suggest , blow out the spark arrester, if that doesn't do it , try changing out the spark plug.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Agree with above try cleaning the spark arrestor, but if you are traveling at very slow speeds and not really heating up the unit, then the spark plug may becoming fouled. It's a simple inexpensive experiment, but may be worth changing the plug as well as some of the other options listed above as well...

Reactions: Chooglin
wolftrapper

wolftrapper

Dec 30, 2018
pierce, idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Im thinking it was fuel related. Ran the injector cleaner through it and its run fine since

LRM EXPORT 20181231 140324

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!