P500 Overheating Problem solved

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Method I use to get All Air Out
Jack UP ×× fill system Slowly ×× Leave Radiator Cap OFF ×× Run at Idle until Stat OPENS ×× Add to system as needed EACH TIME Stat Opens. ( explained below ) Check the Lower Radiator Hose for Heat as Indicator System is Full <> PUT RADIATOR CAP ON <> For me has worked 1st. time every time.

The Mystery of ×× Honda warm-up process
WHY it takes So Long to warm-up

Using <> DynoJet-Power Vision "seen in Picture below" <> ( setting provided at purchase ) Picture included to prove it exist
Engine Temperature in Actual Fahrenheit Degrees° & RPM <> along with several other features.

Key on reading is <> Air Temp ( of your surounding area )
Cold Engine start <> Progresses Rather Quickly up to 150°/ 160° <><> Slowly Rises to 195°/196 ( After several Stat Open & Close Cycles )
At 195/°196° ××× STAT OPENS ×××"" ONLY For a FEW SECONDS"" ××× Quickly Drops to 185°/ 186° </> STAT CLOSES

THIS PROCESS REPEATS Several Times ( at idle ) 25/ 30 minutes ×× little quicker at 4000/ 4500RPM ×× Eventually ×× Whloe System Reaches 195°/196°

Depending on Atmosphere Temp </> Length of Time Will Vary
Engine Temp ×× CONTINUES to RISE to 2017°/2018° ×× Until Fan Comes On ×× Fan turns off at 195°/196°

Air in system IS most likely your ssue.

FYI: HIGH UNLIKLEY But!
Air in & out.
Does your machine use oil ?
Any restriction is the EXHAUXST can contribute to over heating??
Have you Ever Purged your Muffler as described in Manual ( slow riding / IDLING & oil consumption can build-up carbon )?
Check the Air filter to cannot hurt.

20220814 174332

Last edited:
Satellite

Satellite

Dec 25, 2022
Ky
Ownership

1. 500
Jack UP ×× fill system Slowly ×× Leave Radiator Cap OFF ×× Run at Idle until Stat OPENS ×× Add to system as needed EACH TIME Stat Opens. ( explained below ) Check the Lower Radiator Hose for Heat as Indicator System is Full <> PUT RADIATOR CAP ON <> For me has worked 1st. time every time.

Using <>DynoJet-Power Vision <> ( setting provided at purchase ) Picture included to prove it exist
Engine Temperature in Actual Fahrenheit Degrees° & RPM <> along with several other features.

Cold Engine start <> Progresses Rather Quickly up to 150°/ 160° <><> Slowly Rises to 195°/196 ( After several Stat Open & Close Cycles )
At 195/°196° ××× STAT OPENS ×××"" ONLY For a FEW SECONDS"" ××× Quickly Drops to 185°/ 186° </> STAT CLOSES

THIS PROCESS REPEATS Several Times ( at idle ) 25/ 30 minutes ×× little quicker at 4000/ 4500RPM ×× Eventually ×× Whloe System Reaches 195°/196°

Engine Temp ×× CONTINUES to RISE to 2017°/2018° ×× Until Fan Comes On ×× Fan turns off at 195°/196°

Air in & out.
Have you Ever Purged your Muffler as described in Manual ( slow riding / IDLING & oil consumption can build-up carbon )?

View attachment 381181

Using <>DynoJet-Power Vision <> ( setting provided at purchase ) Picture included to prove it exist

Air in & out.

View attachment 381181
did a heater get installed at some point?

agree with air - had a bunch of rzrs I put heaters in, had those front ends jacked up as high as reasonable, radiator cap off, get hot so tstat opens and fan cycles - let sit overnight, rinse and repeat - damn bleeder screw was almost impossible to get to

could see air bubbles coming to radiator fill every time until all air out
Yes it did have a heater on it before I got it
You say the radiator is clear but can you see light though it?
yes
This ^^^^^

A cooling system isn't that complicated. If your radiator is clean, the fan is turning in the correct direction, the thermostat & wp are functioning correctly, well that's it. You say it's circulating so you don't have a hose or pipe that's collapsed. There's really nothing else. Have you tried to bleed the system at the bleed screw, #3 in the diagram that @Mudder posted?

A blown head gasket can cause pressure in the system and overcome the rad cap to push the coolant into the overflow but this usually happens before the engine temp gets hot.
going to check that next thx

Reactions: Mudder
Satellite

Satellite

Dec 25, 2022
Ky
Ownership

1. 500

Air in & out.

View attachment 381181
What that display you have that’s nice setup

ByronM

ByronM

Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2016
St Charles, Il
Ownership

1. 700-4
Couple of thoughts
Get one of those Infrared thermometers and check that it’s getting even flow though the system, check the engine block and radiator see see if the engine heat is making it to the radiator and checking that the radiator is cooling the flow before it leaves back to the engine.

also you said someone installed a heater, is it installed correctly and the hoses routed correctly?

Don’t know if Pioneers have a by pass hole in the thermostat but if they do you could have a stuck thermostat and still see circulation in the radiator just not enough flow to cool the engine under load.

might be prudent to check for combustion gas in the cooling system to make sure it not a head gasket
Good luck

Reactions: driller and Mudder
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Yes it did have a heater on it before I got it
That's where I'd be looking for the problem. Like 906 said, these 500's aren't that complicated and are pretty much bullet proof. Whether something being installed wrong or not properly maintained, most problems guys have with these machines turn out to be lack of knowledge or operator error. Isn't there a couple valves on those heaters for bypass in the summer?

Reactions: Mudder
Satellite

Satellite

Dec 25, 2022
Ky
Ownership

1. 500
I’m having trouble with overheating on my 2016 p500 go a ride about 5 miles or so it overheats my over flow tank is about 3/4 full i can pour it back in get the nose end up and rib it up a few times temp goes back to normal good for another few miles. Things I’ve done so far new radiator cap , thermostat, water pump, temperature sensor and pressurized the head no leaks , flush the radiator and block check all hoses blockages all clean. Any help with this would be highly appreciate.Here a little more background on this p500 trade for this it was in bad shape when I got he was non running had a heater in it before I got it this was a winter project for me removed roll bars painted the frame roll bar back in January had a bad accident working on it a chair I was using broke and cut my finger off from my first knuckle broke bone in three places 2 hour surgery truck lot stitches they was able to save my finger. around mid February before I could start working some on it again clean wash flush everything on this machine this is all the stuff I’ve done to this to get it running new stator pickup coil , gear position sensor, angle sensor, o2 sensor , rear axle seals , this machine runs like a champ and uses no oil Thank you all for helping me try to figure this thanks again
Update problem fixed it was was the head gasket would leak a small amount of air when it gets warm up good

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!