Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When I was a kid my dad would put a small piece of chewing tobacco on the sting. That seemed to work well.
When I was a kid (11 or 12) I also got stung while mowing the grass. If I remember correctly it was over 200 stings. Luckily I had no allergic reaction. I know when I get stung now it's like a ant bite ,very little reaction.
My dad would unroll a cigarette,wet the tobacco with spit, tape it on the sting and I never had a reaction.

Mopower58

Mopower58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Back when I was 11 I used to earn money in the summer bushhogging. We had an IH "M" tricycle front end tractor. I encountered several bee/yellow jacket nest during those days. I wasn't stung very often thank goodness.

Mopower58

Mopower58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Stupid crap that happens sometimes! This weekend we were following our friend through some downed trees when all my daughter hit the stops hard and yelled. Then she started flailing around saying something was biting her.
I’m like wtf. Then my arm was on fire and I looked around the cabin and it was filled with wasps. I told her to hit the gas. She proceeded to get of there but we’d stopped at a bad spot and only had three wheel drive and got stuck being high centered over a couple logs. We jumped over each other and I took the wheel. Took a sec to get out but once did I didn’t mess around.
I think our friend had stirred up a nest that we drove through unfortunately. In the end she got 7 stings and I got one.
Actually surprised this hasn’t happened to us before this. Has anyone else had any experiences with nature attacking back?
Ironically and unfortunately there was a Deputy Sherrif from Adams county who was stung while working in his yard this weekend. He was allergic and knew that. He used his epipen and the family rushed him to the hospital.Unfortunately he passed away even though he did everything they say to do.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ironically and unfortunately there was a Deputy Sherrif from Adams county who was stung while working in his yard this weekend. He was allergic and knew that. He used his epipen and the family rushed him to the hospital.Unfortunately he passed away even though he did everything they say to do.
That’s horrible. I assumed with an epi it would be ok. My wife usually carries that as well as other precautions for the just in cases.

Mopower58

Mopower58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A Registered Nurse said to keep chewable Benadryl in your SxS,tractor,truck wherever it might be needed. It is for a child but can be used by weight. If you chew up the correct amount and hold it in your mouth,the membranes in your mouth will absorb it faster than the liquid in your stomach. Plus it won't dry up like the liquid.

Mopower58

Mopower58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That’s horrible. I assumed with an epi it would be ok. My wife usually carries that as well as other precautions for the just in cases.
My son-in-law is highly allergic to wasp/yellow jackets/bees etc. He keeps an epipen with him all the time. This guy looked to be in his late 50's or early 60's. Not sure but age may have been a factor.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That's an awful way to go. So sad. Prayers for his family.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
It is odd you can become allergic to something after years of not being so. NSAIDS caused me two ER trips for severe anaphylaxis. Scary feeling when your skin breaks out and throat constricts. That greedy EPI-Pen manufacturer raised the price when schools had to stock it. Cost was almost $400 and it likely costs less than $10 to make.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I get a good deal on 3m spray adhesive. They don’t do well with that stuff!

I'll bet that works well! Probably leaves a bit of a mess though..

I'd love to pour a cup of gasoline in a ground wasp nest & throw in a match.. except I'd probably start a forest fire. Sure would be fun to watch though!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'll bet that works well! Probably leaves a bit of a mess though..

I'd love to pour a cup of gasoline in a ground wasp nest & throw in a match.. except I'd probably start a forest fire. Sure would be fun to watch though!
Be worth it to have an extinguisher ready!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Good timing, found active nest in flower bed yesterday. Best way to kill them other than wasp spray over hole area?
I think @mjn with gasoline has best idea. But use lots and lots!

5FEDC264 87C8 4B35 949F 4B0B6262EC8E

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Good timing, found active nest in flower bed yesterday. Best way to kill them other than wasp spray over hole area?
If it’s a ground nest, you can use the powder and they will carry it it and kill the nest. This may take a few days or more. I’ve used the choke them out method for deep ground nests. Take a hose from the exhaust of an engine, hold over the hole and choke them out. Wait until the evening when the last ones fly in. Give it some time to work, depending on how big you think the nest is. You can judge the size by watching during the day and count how many go in per minute. After you poisoned them with CO, dig it up. Have wasp spray on hand for any stragglers. I would never use gasoline. A) It’s highly volatile B) Most of the time the nest follows across the soil so the gas just sinks into the ground and only blows up the entrance.

Reactions: Backwoods
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Have some Bengal ant powder, will try that first due to location by house. Sprayed foamy wasp killer on hole and mulch and about 20 were returning in 30 sec. Maybe some termite killer also. Its war, game on!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!