P700 Header pipe question

B

Beast

Sep 26, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello, new member . I’ll try to keep this simple .
Have 2017 pioneer 700 deluxe 2 seater . Bought this year it was a left over. I have installed a big gun exo exhaust ( little more than the evo) had the evo before ( long story).
I have big gun programmer . Have snorkel and k and n air filter.
Seems like I notice more heat from this pipe but really just at the header which can make seat belt area hotter . Not sure if I’m just noticing more of if it’s actually hotter?? Sometimes get a funny smell even just after starting and backing it out of drive way? Maybe just me , maybe normal .
But my main concern is if it’s late afternoon or dark, I can take just a short trip down road or around neighborhood and get off and look at header and it’s glowing . Just the header right after the cylinder . Not sure if it’s glowing all through the header because it’s all covered with shield and whatever else that is under the shield. Mid pipe and exhaust seem hot but normal. The glow goes away when it sets a few seconds or more depending on how hard I drove . It doesn’t glow at idle . Just from riding but doesn’t seem to take a whole lot. I can’t see it in real daylight , so far . Is this normal?
Checked spark plug and had a greyish look but wiped off and underneath that looked good .
Can someone with stock exhaust tell me if there’s does this?? And with aftermarket as well?? Just don’t want to get engine too hot and ruin something . I have programmer so I’m not sure if I’m running lean or programmer is making it too rich ? Ive read some people explain it both ways so kinda confuses me. It starts and runs fine. I haven’t done any real riding just yet since putting this pipe on . Just would like some help , info, suggestions as a start.
Thanks .

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
you should be ok the rear half of the exaust is flowing better than the header. try making the programmer richer and see if that helps the smell is most likely the oils and materials inside the muffler burning up a little like they normally do as there getting broken in let us know what the settings are on the programmer I would recommend new plugs when you do upgrade like that so you have a fresh start

B

Beast

Sep 26, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-2
you should be ok the rear half of the exaust is flowing better than the header. try making the programmer richer and see if that helps the smell is most likely the oils and materials inside the muffler burning up a little like they normally do as there getting broken in let us know what the settings are on the programmer I would recommend new plugs when you do upgrade like that so you have a fresh start

Thanks for the reply. I did increase the fuel on programmer a notch and made it feed it quicker by a notch but still does it . May try to bump it more and see. Guess I’ll just have to play with it .
Would still like to know if other people header gets red like that with stock exhaust and with aftermarket .
Also , if it’s getting my motor too hot will that kind of condition show up with temp gauge or can it get too hot at the cylinder and not show up on the temp gauge?
Thanks

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
Are you noticing much power gain with programmer and exhaust

B

Beast

Sep 26, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-2
Are you noticing much power gain with programmer and exhaust

I can tell a difference in throttle response. It helps some. I wouldn’t say it’s nothing major but gives it a little more power. I would recommend the exo over the evo with big gun . Evo was obnoxiously loud and I had some problems with it and not sure if I have problems with exo yet or not. Exo has a better sound and not as loud .
At the moment I would probably recommend hmf or yoshi if going with aftermarket exhaust for the pioneer 700 but I haven’t had those. Did have a yoshi on a foreman and I liked it .

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Quick question.
Did you remove the cat?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
we had a yoshi on a 700 2 I thought it sounded nice and gave extra power with the programmer the header pipes do get hotter and red after we richened it up it went about half my buddy thought the yoshi system was to loud for his style riding. so it's for sale used for 45 min

B

Beast

Sep 26, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-2
If I had to do it all over I think I would try the regular hmf pipe not the xl. From what I read it may b the quietest.
700 gets pretty loud with aftermarket exhaust .
Still would like someone to go on test drive late afternoon or night and take for a spin and while out hop off and look at header and see if it’s red and then dies down after a min .
Thanks

Reactions: knuckledeep
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Still would like someone to go on test drive late afternoon or night and take for a spin and while out hop off and look at header and see if it’s red and then dies down after a min .
Thanks
I’ll take a ride tomorrow night and check it. Mine is stock.

Reactions: knuckledeep
B

Beast

Sep 26, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-2
I’ll take a ride tomorrow night and check it. Mine is stock.
Thanks I appreciate it. Just trying to see if it’s normal or not so I don’t worry about it. I never noticed it before but haven’t looked though. If it does it stock then I’ll definitely not worry about it .

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Quick question.
Did you remove the cat?

No I just replaced pipe with slip on .

So stock you have an emissions compliant system that runs lean and cleans up the exhaust with a cat.
Thease things run hot compared to ATVs from 5~7 years ago.
When running hard the exhaust can start to glow.

You added a tuner that is now running the engine rich but it sounds like you still have a cat in the exhaust.
Any unburned gas will make the cat run hot.
The back half of the system will probably be a little hotter than it was made for.
Running a cat and a tuner is probably a bad combination.

B

Beast

Sep 26, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-2
So stock you have an emissions compliant system that runs lean and cleans up the exhaust with a cat.
Thease things run hot compared to ATVs from 5~7 years ago.
When running hard the exhaust can start to glow.

You added a tuner that is now running the engine rich but it sounds like you still have a cat in the exhaust.
Any unburned gas will make the cat run hot.
The back half of the system will probably be a little hotter than it was made for.
Running a cat and a tuner is probably a bad combination.

To b honest I don’t know where the cat is on it. I’m pretty handy and decent at some mechanics and figuring stuff out and rigging but hell I don’t know where it is honestly I just know I put this pipe on and noticed the header pipe getting red. Not at idle but just riding it around . Doesn’t even have to b riding it hard . Just stop and get off in late afternoon or night and look at exposed couple inches of header and it’s red hot glowing but will die down just sitting there for a min. I noticed it so it’s concerned me as in I don’t want to burn motor up . It may have done it with stock pipe? I’m not sure it’s just something I noticed . I just put this pipe on for a week. I haven’t been on a real ride. This is just what I see taking a spin around neighborhood. That’s why it’s my concern is when I go to to ride it this weekend is my motor going to get too hot or my header pipe going to crack or is it normal . I don’t know if I’m rich or lean I’ve read too much on it where it’s confusing.’ Don’t know if programmer doesn’t have it rich enough for snorkel and filter and pipe or If im running too rich now and it’s gas I’m header pipe glowing ?? Heck I don’t know . I just want to hammer down on weekend and not worry about it. All I done was wire programmer on and put the slip on exhaust with it’s mid pipe connected to my header pipe.honestly don’t know much about cat converters . And I put their bypass on for the 02 sensor .
I bought mine new stock . Added a big gun evo first time . Mainly bc I creek ride and lots of times stock exhaust don’t have enough pressure to stay running under water or if u get stuck deep and let off it probably die with stock exhaust . It might not but I’ve seen it plenty of times on other units and the evo definitely idles under water and sure the exo would that I have now but haven’t been on a trail or creek ride yet with it .
Thanks

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To b honest I don’t know where the cat is on it. I’m pretty handy and decent at some mechanics and figuring stuff out and rigging but hell I don’t know where it is honestly I just know I put this pipe on and noticed the header pipe getting red. Not at idle but just riding it around . Doesn’t even have to b riding it hard . Just stop and get off in late afternoon or night and look at exposed couple inches of header and it’s red hot glowing but will die down just sitting there for a min. I noticed it so it’s concerned me as in I don’t want to burn motor up . It may have done it with stock pipe? I’m not sure it’s just something I noticed . I just put this pipe on for a week. I haven’t been on a real ride. This is just what I see taking a spin around neighborhood. That’s why it’s my concern is when I go to to ride it this weekend is my motor going to get too hot or my header pipe going to crack or is it normal . I don’t know if I’m rich or lean I’ve read too much on it where it’s confusing.’ Don’t know if programmer doesn’t have it rich enough for snorkel and filter and pipe or If im running too rich now and it’s gas I’m header pipe glowing ?? Heck I don’t know . I just want to hammer down on weekend and not worry about it. All I done was wire programmer on and put the slip on exhaust with it’s mid pipe connected to my header pipe.honestly don’t know much about cat converters . And I put their bypass on for the 02 sensor .
I bought mine new stock . Added a big gun evo first time . Mainly bc I creek ride and lots of times stock exhaust don’t have enough pressure to stay running under water or if u get stuck deep and let off it probably die with stock exhaust . It might not but I’ve seen it plenty of times on other units and the evo definitely idles under water and sure the exo would that I have now but haven’t been on a trail or creek ride yet with it .
Thanks

If you quench hot metal enough times something is going to give, Especially when you have aluminum and stainless, they are going to expand and contract at different rates, if one portion of a pipe is significantly hotter than another yeah you could crack it when you quench it. The tuner doesn't add a measurable power increase to the 700, it may fix the lean condition but like lee said its designed to run that way. If the exhaust fixes your issue I'd pull the tuner off and send it back, buy something else with the money.

Reactions: Deluxe700
B

Beast

Sep 26, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-2
If you quench hot metal enough times something is going to give, Especially when you have aluminum and stainless, they are going to expand and contract at different rates, if one portion of a pipe is significantly hotter than another yeah you could crack it when you quench it. The tuner doesn't add a measurable power increase to the 700, it may fix the lean condition but like lee said its designed to run that way. If the exhaust fixes your issue I'd pull the tuner off and send it back, buy something else with the money.
Maybe my posts are confusing I don’t know .
I had an big gun evo before. No tuner .i didn’t see in description where I had to have one so I didn’t buy one . Ran it fine for maybe a month . Then while out riding it started sounded different and louder . I had no issues with it before except it was too loud and the spark arrestor screen blew out . I ended up getting quiet core for it. But didn’t make a difference . But what ended up happening is it somehow broke at the hanger that goes into rubber grommet on exhaust part and came loose from header pipe. Or vice verse don’t know which one happend first or the cause . Anyway contacted big gun. Worked out a deal where they gave me the better exo version but I bought programmer from them they said probably happens bc I didn’t have programmer and it made it run lean. So I installed everything and now notice the header glowing while riding. This is my first side by side . I’ve had four wheelers . I’ve been around everything that’s rode or built around places I ride . First issues I’ve had with exhaust . I’ve had them with programmers and without on atvs . If worse comes to worse I’ll pull it off and put stock back on and try to get refund or eat it. Just don’t want to damage motor. If header cracks well not too big of deal I’ll get another but I don’t want engine damage . Yea I ride creek some but I do take care of my stuff and maintenance and make sure everything’s right and tight and sealed . But like I said I haven’t rode hard with this pipe yet. I just noticed this glowing and maybe more heat and wanting to make sure I’m ok or need to make changes . I’ve rode creeks hard on atvs and never had any exhaust or header problems or noticed glowing .
Thanks

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe my posts are confusing I don’t know .
I had an big gun evo before. No tuner .i didn’t see in description where I had to have one so I didn’t buy one . Ran it fine for maybe a month . Then while out riding it started sounded different and louder . I had no issues with it before except it was too loud and the spark arrestor screen blew out . I ended up getting quiet core for it. But didn’t make a difference . But what ended up happening is it somehow broke at the hanger that goes into rubber grommet on exhaust part and came loose from header pipe. Or vice verse don’t know which one happend first or the cause . Anyway contacted big gun. Worked out a deal where they gave me the better exo version but I bought programmer from them they said probably happens bc I didn’t have programmer and it made it run lean. So I installed everything and now notice the header glowing while riding. This is my first side by side . I’ve had four wheelers . I’ve been around everything that’s rode or built around places I ride . First issues I’ve had with exhaust . I’ve had them with programmers and without on atvs . If worse comes to worse I’ll pull it off and put stock back on and try to get refund or eat it. Just don’t want to damage motor. If header cracks well not too big of deal I’ll get another but I don’t want engine damage . Yea I ride creek some but I do take care of my stuff and maintenance and make sure everything’s right and tight and sealed . But like I said I haven’t rode hard with this pipe yet. I just noticed this glowing and maybe more heat and wanting to make sure I’m ok or need to make changes . I’ve rode creeks hard on atvs and never had any exhaust or header problems or noticed glowing .
Thanks

Like lee said they aren't ATVs, big difference these days. They've become like cars really started to in the early 90's more difficult to modify because of the computer and the way the whole thing is setup. They are engineered as a whole and aren't as forgiving as a 60's muscle car that were basically engineered by putting a heavier part on till it didn't break. When you have a 3rd party that doesn't know the reason you set the conditions where they are it can screw stuff up.

There are certain conditions some will never have but others will experience regularly. If how you ride causes those conditions with your additions, you unfortunately have two choices, change how you ride or change your additions. It sucks when you've dropped hard earned cash on aftermarket parts, I've been there.

My 700 would make the pipe glow red if i had it under load long enough (long steep hill climb)

H

HondaTech

The cat looks like a bulge in the pipe near the muffler. if you have a slip on then you've gotten rid of the cat with the OE muffler.

B

Beast

Sep 26, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-2
Like lee said they aren't ATVs, big difference these days. They've become like cars really started to in the early 90's more difficult to modify because of the computer and the way the whole thing is setup. They are engineered as a whole and aren't as forgiving as a 60's muscle car that were basically engineered by putting a heavier part on till it didn't break. When you have a 3rd party that doesn't know the reason you set the conditions where they are it can screw stuff up.

There are certain conditions some will never have but others will experience regularly. If how you ride causes those conditions with your additions, you unfortunately have two choices, change how you ride or change your additions. It sucks when you've dropped hard earned cash on aftermarket parts, I've been there.

My 700 would make the pipe glow red if i had it under load long enough (long steep hill climb)
I understand all that I’m just trying to figure out for the most part if a glowing header is normal just cruising around late afternoon or night . Stock or aftermarket. Just trying to figure out root cause of it And or if can make changes to fix it or if it’s fine . Didn’t know if someone would already know or ran into it before . I ain’t afraid to jerk it all off and put stock muffler on but really don’t feel like eating 500. But would rather eat that than a hole in the motor . I ain’t necessarily afraid of glowing pipe it’s what else it might do that I’m wondering about . Learning stuff as I go. Just looking for points in right direction
Thanks

Reactions: hightechcoonass
B

Beast

Sep 26, 2018
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-2
The cat looks like a bulge in the pipe near the muffler. if you have a slip on then you've gotten rid of the cat with the OE muffler.
Thanks for the info , after I made that post I looked at my stock pipe and thought that was probably it now u affirmed that for me thanks

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I started the 7hun, let it warm up until one bar. My 12yo and I headed out on a five mile jaunt. We went through zig-zagging woods, 10” deep water and mud,had some steep hills, too! We hit a couple straight aways and topped out at 34 MPH. Then headed home. All in all, about a half hour of riding. I parked her and shut her down and popped the seat off and took some pics. It glows pretty good for about a minute.

442D6FD4 7E6C 447E 84F8 8D37E1F7F7C3 A2048E3C C486 40D4 9463 233BC1A184F6 F51E610A 300A 43FD AAD1 EC163BF5F142

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!