P500 Hector

D

Duckhunt

Just a performance update. First ride was a few weeks ago. We still had snow I remember. That MBRP sport muffler made my machine into a complete dog. Would barely do 40mph with the @906UP gear mod. It accelerated like a 1 ton dually with a non-turbo 4 cyl diesel. When I got done I pulled my trims from the power commander and it was trimming -17% fuel from the stock map on high end to meet my 13.0:1 AFR. Ouch.

So... I remember a post from @solrus how he ripped open his stock muffler. There's an immediate sharp reducer inside the muffler from 2" to 1" diameter. I opened that up on my stock muffler same way @solrus did by drilling holes through that step/reducer all the way to the slotted chamber plate, then opened up the slots with a flathead screwdriver when I did the @jay_man81 exhaust outlet mod with the MBRP 1-3/4" outlet and screen. And if you' haven't read my stuff before I removed my CAT completely and took out the "U" down bend in mid pipe. Went for the first ride with this exhaust yesterday since most trails were closed for all the water, and could not believe the difference! I constantly heard the rev limiter because it pulls all the way to it, I need to learn to shift sooner now. I now feel like it has a true 6th gear compared to stock because 4th will pull hard through 30's like a stock 5th with stock power band, I never used 5th last night except the one .5-mile stretch of road I was on, which it pulled hard to about 45mph gps then slowly to 48 (I had to try!). With the @JWB suspension in all 4 corners I truly feel like I got something now. Just ripping through rough, rocky, rutted terrain. I thought I could hold a gear longer after I did the gear change, but now its even better. I haven't pulled my fuel trims yet - got home late, but they should be positive. I then can accept them to rewrite the map so it's not always trying to "correct" itself. I do notice too that where I have my 4 degree ignition advance (higher rpm higher throttle) it definitely helps. The best part? You wouldn't believe unless you heard it but I don't think the volume is 1 dB higher through the rpm range.

Remember, it's not a high output 700+, it's not a 12" suspension machine, but for my experience, what I started with to what I got now I'm very satisfied. For my riding style it's maxed out, would definitely need to go to bucket seats/harnesses if more power. But thought I'd update, I feel good about it now I can go riding!

One quick note I lost power steering when I tried to cross-while-turning on a tarred street near where we parked after the ride, but after shutting the machine down and keying back on PS was back. Must have upset it so the PS ECM shut her down. I never did look at the diagnostic light under the hood. Anyone ever have this happen?

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks everyone for the kind words! More importantly thanks for all the ideas and info on here!
Outstanding work my friend! Thanks for all the research you did (and $$) to improve the air set-up even more, and sharing all the mods you've made! You've saved anyone that wants to do these types of mods a pile of time and money. Very Cool!

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
Why would you only hit 40mph after the 906up gears mod?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!